SAC / SAS (1 Jul trade)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

kwytse
Freshman
And1: 4

SAC / SAS (1 Jul trade) 

Post#1 » by kwytse » Mon May 22, 2017 4:37 pm

Assume Pau Gasol will exercise his player option.

SAC IN: Kyle Anderson, Pau Gasol, SAS 17 1st
Sac has basically too much cap-space and it is never a premier top-tier free-agent destination. In this trade, they got a useful rotation player in Anderson and move up a couple of spots in the draft.

SAS IN: Kosta Koufos, lesser of the 2017 2nd rounder than SAC holds
San Antonio got a player that fits better with LMA, and more importantly has freed up an additional $10m in cap space for them to offer a max contract (Dedmon / David Lee unlikely to exercise the PO) such as Kyle Lowry.

Thoughts?
SactownHrtBrks8
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Re: SAC / SAS (1 Jul trade) 

Post#2 » by SactownHrtBrks8 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Do the Spurs want to get rid of Gasol?
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,147

Post#3 » by AdagioPace » Mon May 22, 2017 4:54 pm

Spurs have started the process of rejuvenation

Letting go a 1st rounder is out of the question. Those late 1st round pick are vital for an old team
They have a chance to draft the 29th and bring Milutinov (center) at a smaller "price"

also I don't think getting rid of Gasol is worth a 1st round pick and I think Pop would never do it
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
kwytse
Freshman

Post#4 » by kwytse » Mon May 22, 2017 4:54 pm

thanks for your reply.

according to this thread: http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1566914, SAS fans wanted to convince Pau to sign less, but I don't see the incentive from Pau's camp. If they want to offer a max contract to Lowry / Millsap, they need Pau to resign for around $5m but I doubt Pau will do this.

I do expect Pau would complain to get traded to a non-contender but I guess the worst case is for SAC to waive him. The gain in this trade is supposingly Kyle Anderson plus moving up in draft.
kwytse
Freshman

Post#5 » by kwytse » Mon May 22, 2017 5:01 pm

AdagioPace wrote:Spurs have started the process of rejuvenation

Letting go a 1st rounder is out of the question. Those late 1st round pick are vital for an old team
They have a chance to draft the 29th and bring Milutinov (center) at a smaller "price"

also I don't think getting rid of Gasol is worth a 1st round pick and I think Pop would never do it

thanks for your reply.

Getting rid of Gasol alone is not worth a 1st round pick (you only move back around 10 spots) but you need to look at the bigger picture of getting a difference maker like Lowry / Millsap. Also, Kosta Koufos should be a positive contract.

I personally think SAC holds the cards here instead of SAS. They are the team that can absorb capspace and with a player with a good contract that fits with LMA (a contract that maybe difficult to move).
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,147

Post#6 » by AdagioPace » Mon May 22, 2017 5:07 pm

kwytse wrote:

thanks for your reply.

Getting rid of Gasol alone is not worth a 1st round pick (you only move back around 10 spots) but you need to look at the bigger picture of getting a difference maker like Lowry / Millsap. Also, Kosta Koufos should be a positive contract.

I personally think SAC holds the cards here instead of SAS. They are the team that can absorb capspace and with a player with a good contract that fits with LMA (a contract that maybe difficult to move).

ok
now I understand what you mean

yes
in case a big free agent like CP3 would give the nod then yes, your package would be realistic, almost necessary. That's a big unknown
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#7 » by FNQ » Mon May 22, 2017 5:29 pm

kwytse wrote:Assume Pau Gasol will exercise his player option.

SAC IN: Kyle Anderson, Pau Gasol, SAS 17 1st
Sac has basically too much cap-space and it is never a premier top-tier free-agent destination. In this trade, they got a useful rotation player in Anderson and move up a couple of spots in the draft.

SAS IN: Kosta Koufos, lesser of the 2017 2nd rounder than SAC holds
San Antonio got a player that fits better with LMA, and more importantly has freed up an additional $10m in cap space for them to offer a max contract (Dedmon / David Lee unlikely to exercise the PO) such as Kyle Lowry.

Thoughts?

The problem here is that July 1st is after the 2017 draft. Picks would have to be agreed upon before the draft, made, and then not signed.

That said, the value seems to be pretty close if they were able to find a way to make it happen. Would expect Pau to be re-routed to a 3rd team or bought out. But its also against the Spurs nature to trade players like Pau, who is still really effective, and may have taken less to sign in SA.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#8 » by Kings2013 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:24 pm

Are you missing a point to the OP? He thinks Koufos can be a solid complimentary piece in SA

But I agree that Gasol's fit in Sac is wonky
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#9 » by Mykhyn » Mon May 22, 2017 7:20 pm

kwytse wrote:

thanks for your reply.

Kings hold no cards in this as they are not the only team in the league and nothing in the Spurs package is of negative value.

10mil cap can be acquired for much less than Kyle Anderson and a 1st.

Koufus isn't even a positive to the Spurs. He negatively impacts their chances to resign Dedmon, who is a better player than Koufus.

There are better options to clear space and if the Spurs are going to pay to do so it'd be Parker, not Gasol.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#10 » by Golabki » Mon May 22, 2017 7:52 pm

I think Gasol is dumpable without adding value.

Return to Trades and Transactions