Hawks-Raptors

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who says no?

Hawks
20%
Raps
20%
Neither
50%
Both
10%

Total votes: 10

parson
RealGM
And1: 469

Re: Hawks-Raptors 

Post#21 » by parson » Wed May 24, 2017 9:49 pm

SBM wrote:How is Joseph warranted? So, you really think Val+23+Joseph is what Howard should net?

Absolutely. It was TOR fans who noted that Howard would have benefited them greatly in the playoffs. We signed him for the playoffs, too, but he just can't fit our offense. He makes a difference and that difference is valuable.

On the other hand, Valanciunas and Joseph are barely important to TOR fans and would supply my Hawks a transitional Center (until we could find one we want) and a good, backup PG.

Look at it from the Hawks' perspective: it would be better to go with Howard and try (again) to fit him into our offense (and enjoy the superior rebounding and interior defense he supplies) than to settle for Valanciunas and a pick that is only ... interesting (23rd). There has to be a reason for us to make a trade.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#22 » by Mykhyn » Wed May 24, 2017 9:54 pm

parson wrote:
SBM wrote:How is Joseph warranted? So, you really think Val+23+Joseph is what Howard should net?

Absolutely. It was TOR fans who noted that Howard would have benefited them greatly in the playoffs. We signed him for the playoffs, too, but he just can't fit our offense. He makes a difference and that difference is valuable.

On the other hand, Valanciunas and Joseph are barely important to TOR fans and would supply my Hawks a transitional Center (until we could find one we want) and a good, backup PG.

Look at it from the Hawks' perspective: it would be better to go with Howard and try (again) to fit him into our offense (and enjoy the superior rebounding and interior defense he supplies) than to settle for Valanciunas and a pick that is only ... interesting (23rd). There has to be a reason for us to make a trade.

I'm 95% sure ATL would do a Dwight Howard for Valanciunas trade straight up if it worked salary wise.

Dwight doesn't have near the value you're thinking tbh. Theres a reason insiders are talking about him only being worth a couple 2nds
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#23 » by SBM » Wed May 24, 2017 9:58 pm

parson wrote:

I know you are a Hawks fan but I disagree with your perspective. The Hawks are going to be real close to paying luxury tax if they pay Sap+Hardaway. I would offer Al Jefferson+Monta and that is it. I don't think the cheap Hawks would like to pay a penny of tax because I used to be a fan. Also only thing I like about Dwight is his rebounding and rim running even though rim running isn't effective as it once was just like interior defense. Sorry mate, I just don't value him that much.
parson
RealGM

Post#24 » by parson » Wed May 24, 2017 10:01 pm

Cklbmk wrote:I'm 95% sure ATL would do a Dwight Howard for Valanciunas trade straight up if it worked salary wise.

Dwight doesn't have near the value you're thinking tbh. Theres a reason insiders are talking about him only being worth a couple 2nds

I'm 100% sure I've seen many TOR fans begging to do a Dwight Howard for Valanciunas deal - and all of them have been willing to ADD assets to make it work, so you may want to re-think that.

As for the "insiders" - bah. The real insiders keep their mouths shut.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#25 » by Mykhyn » Wed May 24, 2017 10:05 pm

parson wrote:
Cklbmk wrote:I'm 95% sure ATL would do a Dwight Howard for Valanciunas trade straight up if it worked salary wise.

I'm 100% sure I've seen many TOR fans begging to do a Dwight Howard for Valanciunas deal - and all of them have been willing to ADD assets to make it work, so you may want to re-think that.

So you trust fans, who don't know the industry more than reporters who are around players and executives every day?
parson
RealGM

Post#26 » by parson » Thu May 25, 2017 12:45 am

Cklbmk wrote:
parson wrote:

So you trust fans, who don't know the industry more than reporters who are around players and executives every day?

Child please, I'm saying that, if TOR fans (who, like all fans, are biased in favor their own team) are willing to send Valanciunas PLUS for Howard, then I'm sure the Hawks front office is not willing to undersell Dwight Howard. Doesn't that make sense to you? You really believe that homer fans are going to OVERpay? When has this site ever seen such a thing? Yes, Dwight Howard has problems defending the PNR and with any kind of offense but he's much better than Valanciunas, who has much the same in the negative sense as Howard but whose positives are less, as well. He's a poor man's Dwight Howard - the 2017 version, that is.

And the "insiders" are laughed at all the time ... except when they validate our own opinion. But I'll bite: if they say that Howard is only worth 2 2nd rounders, what do they say about Valanciunas (crud, I'm learning to spell his name - another worthless detail now stuck in my head)? Are they claiming that the Raps will have to GIVE AWAY a 2nd to get someone to agree to take him?

Don't tell me how low you value Dwight Howard when we're talking about Jonas Valanciunas.

Return to Trades and Transactions