Brooklyn trade challenge

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

rein08
Senior
And1: 18

Brooklyn trade challenge 

Post#1 » by rein08 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:52 am

The Nets could've gotten the 1st pick in this year's draft, but no thanks to some guy who gave away picks for veteran players in a former trade back in 2013. They still have 2 picks in the late 20's but this team need dire help across the depth chart.

Who could the Nets get in trades in order to be at least solid come next season?
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Re: Brooklyn trade challenge 

Post#2 » by Mamba4Goat » Thu May 25, 2017 6:58 am

I wouldn't rush anything and just stay the course. They're going to bad regardless. But grabbing a decent vet or two for the locker room like they did with Lin and Booker last year on good smart deals, and creating a positive environment with great character guys and not forcing anything or overpaying someone like crazy. I like Marks and I can get behind what he's doing.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#3 » by Spens1 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:02 am

I'd go for the rebuild.

Take on Deng for 28

Package 22 + Lopez for 11 + Zeller/Kaminsky (if Nkilitina goes at 8 to New York or 9 to Dallas then someone is falling to 11, probably Collins or Markannen).

With 28 take the BPA (if someone falls like a Labissiere did last year), Otherwise Jawun Evans.

Buy Orlando's 35th Pick (they have so many picks) and pick Motley/Ojeleye if 28 was a guard/S.F, Frank Jackson/Sumner, Hart or Mason with this, or again, if anyone falls, take them.

Kaminsky
Collins/Markannen
RHJ
Lavert?
Lin

its a decent core.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#4 » by Mamba4Goat » Thu May 25, 2017 8:18 am

Spens1 wrote:I'd go for the rebuild.

Take on Deng for 28

Package 22 + Lopez for 11 + Zeller/Kaminsky (if Nkilitina goes at 8 to New York or 9 to Dallas then someone is falling to 11, probably Collins or Markannen).

With 28 take the BPA (if someone falls like a Labissiere did last year), Otherwise Jawun Evans.

Buy Orlando's 35th Pick (they have so many picks) and pick Motley/Ojeleye if 28 was a guard/S.F, Frank Jackson/Sumner, Hart or Mason with this, or again, if anyone falls, take them.

Kaminsky
Collins/Markannen
RHJ
Lavert?
Lin

its a decent core.

You really think Lopez+22 gets you 11+Zeller/Kaminsky? Maybe I'm higher on the Charlotte bigs, but I feel like BK needs to add something in the deal.

As for buying the Magic second..I'm not sure if that's even worth it. The way that Marks has been operating, and assuming they'll have 2 decent FA's and the 2 rooks added. They'll be having a dog fight of quite a few guys for the last few roster spots. No sense in buying a,second on a guy who's probably on par with the likes of Archie Goodwin and then having him compete with him in training camp to lose the spot.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#5 » by Spens1 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:15 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:

Take on Deng for 28

Kaminsky
Collins/Markannen
RHJ
Lavert?
Lin

its a decent core.

You really think Lopez+22 gets you 11+Zeller/Kaminsky? Maybe I'm higher on the Charlotte bigs, but I feel like BK needs to add something in the deal.

As for buying the Magic second..I'm not sure if that's even worth it. The way that Marks has been operating, and assuming they'll have 2 decent FA's and the 2 rooks added. They'll be having a dog fight of quite a few guys for the last few roster spots. No sense in buying a,second on a guy who's probably on par with the likes of Archie Goodwin and then having him compete with him in training camp to lose the spot.

if I'm Charlotte and want to make the playoffs i think its a reasonably small price to pay, provided Lopez says sure, i'll stay. Getting a 20PPG center is exactly what they need to get to the next level, they go from non playoff to about 6th seed or thereabouts. At 22 they could still pick up someone pretty good. Not to mention that If Lopez came in, one of Kaminsky or Zeller are getting screwed over regardless.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#6 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:03 pm

just be smart with the picks IMO. Useful guys are there at 22 and 28 IMO. I don't think they can effectively package to move up without losing value. If they can find a package that moves Lopez for good young talent do it, but its going to be hard.
I thought their strategy of making slightly overpay offers to solid RFAs was good last year. didn't pan out because other teams matched, and that is always likely but but worth a shot again.
As a Boston fan I hope they are horrible again obviously, for one more year, but they have some good youngsters and they could quickly start to build a decent team if they just take it slow and smart.
Sign here
bigg mike
Junior
And1: 37

Post#7 » by bigg mike » Thu May 25, 2017 1:08 pm

With NYK... maybe Melo & O'Quinn for Booker, Nicholson & 22nd pick. This one has to be broken down in 2 separate trades (Melo for Booker & Nicholson, O'Quinn for 22nd) Not sure who says yes or no.

Also, saw something similar with SAS's pick
DAL-- 27th pick for Seth Curry

Nothing mindblowing, but Nets get better and won't give away the 1st pick again.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#8 » by giberish » Thu May 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Cap space will be more valuable in the flat cap years of 2018 and 2019, so don't waste future cap space. Don't take on bad 3-year deals without major compensation (taking Mozgov or Deng for #28 is horrifying). Also don't give out bad long-term FA contracts just to sign players.

I don't see the Charlotte part working - for the Nets I'd deal Lopez for Cody Zellar straight up. Lopez is a little better but Zellar's signed longer on a good contract. Charlotte needs perimeter help though, not another center.

Look to rent short-term cap space (EC's or at most 2 year deals) ideally for guys who can still play some. Look to bargain hunt some guys who slip through the cracks in FA (with less cap space around the league there should be a few more guys like that then last year).
OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Post#9 » by OFWGKTA » Thu May 25, 2017 2:20 pm

If I was Brooklyn I'd be trading Lopez during the offseason, and Lin by the deadline for whatever the best picks they can get. Gear up to be top 3 in 2019 and 2020, use the picks they have now on high risk/high reward players.
Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,451

Post#10 » by Myth » Thu May 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:

Take on Deng for 28

Kaminsky
Collins/Markannen
RHJ
Lavert?
Lin

its a decent core.

I'm with you. I don't think Lopez + 22 gets 11 + Kaminsky/Zeller. 11 in this draft has a ton more value than 22, and Kaminsky/Zeller have value to build on while Lopez only has 1 year on his contract and injury history, with a likelihood of early decline if re-signed given how slow prime Lopez already is for this modern NBA. I think Lopez's value would be higher for a team looking for salary relief after his contract expires while hoping he can help a championship threat in a smaller role in the near future.
Austincys21
Veteran
And1: 733

Post#11 » by Austincys21 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:48 pm

Nets trade Brook Lopez, Jeremy Lin, and 57th pick
Nets get: Greg Monroe, Spencer Hawes, Cody Zeller, and 17th pick

( Nets in an obvious rebuild, they now have the 17th, 22nd, and 27th pick. they have a few options, 1. draft 3 young guys or look to trade up in the lottery. Id take the 3 young guys and build around RHJ, Zeller, and LeVert. Not much promise there but they will have tons of cap in the upcoming year. this team tho will be stuck with no real star for a few years. The Boston deal was a horrible horrible deal.)

Bucks trade Greg Monroe, Spencer Hawes, and 17th pick
Bucks get: Jeremy Lin and Marvin Williams

( I like this for the Bucks, Lin is a nice fit as is Williams. Not much to say here, just 2 solid role players who can help an already up n coming young team. I can see the Bucks as a top 3 east team next season with Greek becoming elite and Parker a possible all star. Then will take a step up and getting Middleton back and healthy and of course Brogdon who was an excellent draft pick. they got good players on both ends especially defense.)

Horents trade Cody Zeller and Marvin Williams
Hornets get: Brook Lopez and 57th pick

( I like this for the Hornets because getting Lopez gives them really the one thing they were missing and that was a low post presence. Not sure he makes them a legit threat but a forsake playoff team.)

Bucks-
Lin / Delladova / Payton
Middleton / Brogdon / Vaughn
Freek / Wiliams / Snell
Parker / Teletovic
Henson / Maker / 48th pick?

Hornets-
Walker /Sessions / Roberts
Belly / Lamb / Graham
Batum / MKG
Kamunsky /pick 11? / Wood
Lopez / Plumlee / O'Bryant
Gert42
Senior
And1: 209

Post#12 » by Gert42 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:24 pm

While I wouldn't rule out a "win now" move for the Hornets, I think with their lack of cap flexibility, pick #11 this year is way too valuable at a controlled cost.

Return to Trades and Transactions