Lakers-Knickerbockers

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Lakers-Knickerbockers 

Post#1 » by Mamba4Goat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:48 am

LA sends: Clarkson, Randle, Brewer, 2019 pick swap rights.
NY sends: Melo

Why for the Lakers? They have no pick this year, why not surround Ball and Ingram with as much talent as possible? A Ball-KCP-Ingram-Melo-Lopez lineup could really surprise people. Melo will likely use his ETO so he's essentially an expiring so that helps their plan too.

Why for NY? They get a pretty decent, young back up point guard to play, a flier on Randle before he becomes a RFA, and save a bit of money now and later.

Why for Melo? He'll be in LA, and the Lakers will get his bird rights it's worth taking a risk and seeing if he can lure a friend or two over next off season.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
KP6
Rookie
And1: 619

Re: Lakers-Knickerbockers 

Post#2 » by KP6 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:21 am

Knicks would pull the trigger on it
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#3 » by Dr Aki » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:47 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:LA sends: Clarkson, Randle, Brewer, 2019 pick swap rights.

Why for the Lakers? They have no pick this year, why not surround Ball and Ingram with as much talent as possible? A Ball-KCP-Ingram-Melo-Lopez lineup could really surprise people. Melo will likely use his ETO so he's essentially an expiring so that helps their plan too.

Why for NY? They get a pretty decent, young back up point guard to play, a flier on Randle before he becomes a RFA, and save a bit of money now and later.

Why for Melo? He'll be in LA, and the Lakers will get his bird rights it's worth taking a risk and seeing if he can lure a friend or two over next off season.

no he won't, there's 28 million reasons why he wouldn't

imagine being the guy to turn down 28 mil, just to see them replace you with someone they actually want
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#4 » by draftnightsuit » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:04 pm

Wouldn't the Lakers want to include Deng instead of Brewer?
VIPER8382
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#5 » by VIPER8382 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:13 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:Wouldn't the Lakers want to include Deng instead of Brewer?

Of course, but then New York has no interest without further sweetener, and there is no way the Lakers should add what it would take. I don't see a Carmelo to LA deal unless the Lakers strike out in 18 and Melo is still in NY.
NotPhilJackson
Senior
And1: 320

Post#6 » by NotPhilJackson » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:17 pm

I definitely do this as a Knick fan.. Will Melo though? It'd be very interesting actually.. I feel like they'd be a decent squad, especially if they can snag Rose.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Mamba4Goat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:00 pm

Dr Aki wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:LA sends: Clarkson, Randle, Brewer, 2019 pick swap rights.

no he won't, there's 28 million reasons why he wouldn't

imagine being the guy to turn down 28 mil, just to see them replace you with someone they actually want

I'd imagine Melo would opt out for one more big contract. But that's just an assumption on my end and to each their own :wink:
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,936

Post#8 » by tmorgan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:19 pm

It's an interesting idea, but I think you'd need to guarantee that Melo would use his ETO, and he might not. If he doesn't, even if you move Deng somehow, you only have room for one more monster contract. Would what they have plus old Melo be enough to entice LBJ or George to come alone? I thought the idea was to snag two big fish, and Melo, despite his contract, is more middle-sized.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#9 » by Woody Allen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:20 pm

Really good trade for NYK
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#10 » by NoZoLakers » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:23 pm

Why would any laker fan willingly give up on 18' plan for melo?
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Mamba4Goat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:02 pm

BallnIngram wrote:Why would any laker fan willingly give up on 18' plan for melo?

What do you mean? I'm assuming Melo uses his ETO making him an expiring and having his cap hold would be a nice fall back plan.
NoZoLakers
General Manager

Post#12 » by NoZoLakers » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:17 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:
BallnIngram wrote:Why would any laker fan willingly give up on 18' plan for melo?

What do you mean? I'm assuming Melo uses his ETO making him an expiring and having his cap hold would be a nice fall back plan.

Why would you operate on that assumption?
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Mamba4Goat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:34 pm

BallnIngram wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:

Honestly I don't see any reason why Melo wouldn't opt out for one more big pay day.
NoZoLakers
General Manager

Post#14 » by NoZoLakers » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:37 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:
BallnIngram wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:

Honestly I don't see any reason why Melo wouldn't opt out for one more big pay day.

Given his age, i dont think hes getting it, at least not on an annual lvl like the 29ish hell get for 18-19'season

Return to Trades and Transactions