GS-Tor-Cle

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

dom80e
Analyst
And1: 1

GS-Tor-Cle 

Post#1 » by dom80e » Fri Aug 1, 2008 1:08 am

[b]GS trades Jackson, Harrington, and Belinelli for Bargnani, Parker, Jones, Cle 1st, and Tor 1st.[/b]
Ellis-Williams
Maggette-Parker
Randolph-Azubuike
Wright-Bargnani
Biedrins-Turiaf

[b]Toronto trades Bargnani, Parker and a 1st for Jackson and Smith.[/b]
Calderon-Ukic
Jackson-Adams
Moon-Kapono
Bosh-Smith
O'Neal-Bosh

[b]Cleveland trades Smith, Jones, and 1st for Harrington and Belinelli.[/b]
West-Gibson
Szczerbiak-Belinelli
James-Pavlovic
Harrington-Varejao
Ilgauskas-Wallace
swirsk
Bench Warmer
And1: 4

Re: GS-Tor-Cle 

Post#2 » by swirsk » Fri Aug 1, 2008 1:22 am

Personally, I'd take it with a little more incentive (send Belinelli our way?), but I know many a Raptor fan will say "we aren't giving up on Bargnani this early!" and so on.

That looks like a pretty complete lineup to me, though. Only thing missing would be a couple ring chasers off the bench.
formerly known as Swirsky4PM
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#3 » by TheOUTLAW » Fri Aug 1, 2008 1:24 am

The Cavs really have no interest in Harrington. So the question comes down to whether Bellinelli is worth taking on Harringtons contract and giving up a first. Right now, I'm not sure that answer is a yes, I just don't know enough about Bellinelli at this point.

By the way, no way would the Cavs start Harrington over Wallace or Varejao. If you think differently, you probably need to do some research on Coach Brown.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
rjgraca
Head Coach
And1: 43

Post#4 » by rjgraca » Fri Aug 1, 2008 1:40 am

TheOUTLAW wrote:The Cavs really have no interest in Harrington. So the question comes down to whether Bellinelli is worth taking on Harringtons contract and giving up a first. Right now, I'm not sure that answer is a yes, I just don't know enough about Bellinelli at this point.

By the way, no way would the Cavs start Harrington over Wallace or Varejao. If you think differently, you probably need to do some research on Coach Brown.

:nod:

Just cut the CAVs out of this one. Harrington is not the primary piece of any trade that would help the CAVs. IMO, I would take Smith over Harrington contract wise, rebounding and defense. To kick in a 1st round pick makes this truly silly for the CAVs to consider.
dom80e
Analyst

Post#5 » by dom80e » Fri Aug 1, 2008 1:43 am

If Cleveland views Harrington as a negative it is a no go.
By the way, Harrington is a very under rated defender and Brown would not have a problem with him.
rjgraca
Head Coach

Post#6 » by rjgraca » Fri Aug 1, 2008 1:46 am

No, CAVs fans view Harrington as filler in a trade since he's not a starter and makes too much to be coming off the bench unless something came along with him that is truly intriguing which Bellinelli doesn't qualify as at this time. Read the Golden State board if you are so impressed with Harrington defense and many members of that board are not which includes the coach who cut his minutes last season.
Smooth32
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#7 » by Smooth32 » Fri Aug 1, 2008 1:49 am

If I'm the Cavs, I'd look real hard at this trade. I'd probably end up doing it.
dom80e
Analyst

Post#8 » by dom80e » Fri Aug 1, 2008 3:44 am

rjgraca wrote:Read the Golden State board if you are so impressed with Harrington defense and many members of that board are not which includes the coach who cut his minutes last season.

I am a member of that board and Harrington did not lose minutes for defensive liabilities. Nelson never pulls people out for defense. Harrington could not handle playing in a running offense for too many minutes. His legs wore out and his shot started coming up short.

He is also not a good rebounder or shot blocker, but his on the ball defense and help defense is above average.

With Lebron and Ilguaskas being good rebounders I thought he would be a good fit there. But if he would be a backup, then I understand Cleveland declining.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#9 » by old rem » Fri Aug 1, 2008 5:32 am

Harrington would be a plus for the Cavs because he can shoot. Wallace + Varejo are limited to finger roll range or a lucky day. Clev just spends a late pick in a draft where picks in the 20's are guys nobody wanted in the 08 draft. 2/3 of the time Belinnelli is a good perimeter threat with even some PG potential (he does suck on D, Harrington plays good D)

I can't see Bargs a good add on for GSW but with luck he makes a bit of progress and we trade him later. When the dust settles,mostly GSW gets a couple of rather low picks in a not so hot draft plus whatever we can get out of Bargnani. That costs us a pair of starters....one of which scored 20 ppg......which is more than all the second string stuff we get back.
CENSORED... No comment.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#10 » by turk3d » Fri Aug 1, 2008 7:55 am

For whoever said that Harrington's not a starter, Harrington was a starter for us last year (started 59 out of 81 games) the majority of the time and he'll be a starter for us this year if he's not traded. So we'd be getting rid of 2 of our starting players if we did this deal. Cleveland if they made this deal then should move Varejao (he's opting out next year for sure, right Cavs fans?). As old rem said, you guys need another player who can shoot from the outside (Wallace and Varejao aint it) and furthermore Wallace and Varejao are redundant and since (there's no one out there going to take Buckwheat off your hands which I believe you'd prefer) you might as well move Varejao (that is unless you want to move Z, and slide Wallace over to the 5). Either way, Harrington is a good fit, in spite of what some of you Cavs fans say. Bring in Harrington somehow, and that not only gives you someone who will complement Lebron very well, but it also gives you some nice options to make some additional trades.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
rjgraca
Head Coach

Post#11 » by rjgraca » Fri Aug 1, 2008 1:39 pm

Then Golden State can keep him as their starter -- he wouldn't start for the CAVs and makes too much as a reserve which he is best suited for at this stage of his career. He's too soft to play starter minutes at PF and C and too slow to play SF with his outside jump shot game and is a disappointing rebounder.
IMO, from what I have seen of Harrington is not a good defender against PF and certainly not against a decent center and too slow to guard a SF. He's past his peak too and is getting paid like he's still in his prime while his numbers say otherwise.

IMO, CAVs pass on this package.
midgman8421
Junior
And1: 33

Post#12 » by midgman8421 » Fri Aug 1, 2008 3:07 pm

I couldn't agree with rjgraca any more. Harrington is not a starter at this point in his career, except maybe in a Nellieball offense. He's too slow to play SF, and he's not strong enough down low to start at PF. Furthermore, his offensive abilities seem to be pretty overrated... in an offense that thrives on open looks, Harrington only shot 43% from the field last year, and 37% from 3. If we wanted that kind of performance, we could've just kept Donyell Marshall.

Either way, Joe Smith is currently a better player and better fit on this team than Harrington, and Belinelli has not given us a reason to think he'll be a strong contributor over the next two years.

Cavs pass.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#13 » by turk3d » Fri Aug 1, 2008 3:52 pm

Harrington has been a starter the last 4 years (Indiana and Atlanta besides the Warriors), he's only 28 years old, and he's quicker then any of your big men (with the exception of Joe Smith) and is a better long rang shooter than any of them. I don't care if YOU don't want them (fortunately I'm sure your FO doesn't take orders from you), but at least get your facts straight, that's the least yo could do.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
rjgraca
Head Coach

Post#14 » by rjgraca » Fri Aug 1, 2008 4:29 pm

Golden State fans have made a great argument of why they should keep Harrington --- because they value him the most. If the CAVs valued him as highly -- I am sure a similar trade would have been made already.

I am glad that the CAVs front office doesn't easily trade for other teams spare parts.

Chronological age doesn't always equal physical age, but since that doesn't matter to you and some Golden State fans have such a high opinion of his defensive abilities that are not shared around the league (at least I can't find any glowing reports of his defense at Golden State) then that is another reason that Golden State should keep him.
turk3d
RealGM

Post#15 » by turk3d » Fri Aug 1, 2008 5:25 pm

Cleveland's problem is not defense (they're one of the best defenses in the league), it's the offense which needs help (no consistent scoring outside of Lebron). That's why Al would be a good fit for you, plus his versatility would be an asset (plays 3 positions: 3,4 and 5 which would even allow you to go small on occasion which would be a new wrinkle for you). We're embarking on a youth movement (semi-rebuild) and want to play guys like Wright, Randolph, Hendrix and Biedrens more minutes which is the only reason we'd move Al, but even so, we're not giving him up for nothing in return (he has value). You guys can continue to be one of the best defensive teams in the league (and one of the worst offensively) if you want, and continue to come up short in the playoffs until Lebron gets discouraged and eventuall moves on and you can keep Vaejao (who by your own admission is opting out next season) that's your perogative. As far as Harrington and Jackson goes, neither one is spare parts as you put it. Harrington is a capable starter on some teams, and definitely at least a 6th man on any other.
TdotWattz
Junior

Post#16 » by TdotWattz » Fri Aug 1, 2008 5:33 pm

Joe Smith and Stephen Jackson for Bargnani, Parker, and a 1st rounder which is a late teen selection anyways...
sign me up...Stephen Jackson is a significant upgrade in talent, experience, and skill
and Joe Smith is a legit backup and can even do well if he has to start due to injuries.
Also Joe Smith expires next summer along with Jermaine Oneal's so we could even take a run at a major 09 FA and Jax expires the following summer.
Raps go to the Eastern Conference Finals after this trade, still get swept by Boston though
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#17 » by RTM » Fri Aug 1, 2008 6:01 pm

I agree that Cleveland would probably just want to be cut out. So that leaves Jackson, Harrington for Bargnani, Parker, TOR 1st.

TOR

Calderon/Ukic/Solomon
Jackson/Adams/(Shannon Brown or Gordan Giricek)
Kapono/Moon/Graham
Bosh/Harrington/Humphries
O'Neal/(DJ Mbenga or Francisco Elson)/Jawai

Toronto would have to sign another C and SG to fill out the roster, but to me, that looks much better than what they have now. Harrington can hopefully provide the toughness and bench play he was known for back in Indiana, and Jackson would just what the need on the wing.

GSW

Ellis/Williams/Watson
Parker/Belinelli
Maggette/Azibuike/Randolph
Bargnani/Wright/Hendrix
Biedrins/Turiaf/Perovic

IMO, that isn't really good enough for GS, unless they really like Bargnani. Both he and Parker could look good playing Nellie ball though.

Return to Trades and Transactions