LAL/CHA/MEM

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

vincanity1
Senior
And1: 1

LAL/CHA/MEM 

Post#1 » by vincanity1 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:53 am

LAL TRADES - Lamar Odom, Coby Carl, and cash considerations
LAL RECEIVES - Gerald Wallace and Alexis Ajinca

Why? Odom may not fit in well with the big front court. In that case, acquiring a guy like Wallace makes the team better defensively. Alexis Ajinca is a nice prospect that may not develop uder Larry Brown.

CHA TRADES - Gerald Wallace, Alexis Ajinca, and Sean May
CHA RECEIVES - Lamar Odom, Coby Karl, and rights to Malick Badiane

Why? The Cats have the pieces to become a playoff team in the east. Adding Odom makes them a better team because it fills a hole at the pf position. He will add versatility on offense and he is a decent team defender as well.

MEM TRADES - rights to Malick Badiane
MEM RECEIVES - Sean May, and cash from the Lakers

Why? With the Grizz being the only team with cap space this year, they are needed to complete this deal for salary cap reasons. I'm not sure if Memphis would do it but with considerations and a former lottery pick, maybe they'll consider?

Any thoughts?
Thanks to NetsForce for the awesome sig
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Re: LAL/CHA/MEM 

Post#2 » by VintaGe36 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:15 am

^Makes little sense for CHA if you ask me.

They traded expirings for Nazr last year, and now he gets sent to the bench?

I think that G-Force has more value than Odom.

But thats just me.
vincanity1
Senior

Post#3 » by vincanity1 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:31 am

VintaGe36 wrote:^Makes little sense for CHA if you ask me.

But thats just me.

I would think that trading for Nazr was an attempt to solidify their front court to make a run for the playoffs, which was not enough. By adding Odom, they could have Nazr come off the bench and he could still be productive or instead they can go with a frontcourt of Nazr/Emeka/Lamar. As I said Odom would bring them versatility at a position of need and also give them options. For example, if Odom doesn't work out well then they could trade him at the deadline since he has value as an expiring or if he does well they could re-sign him for around the same amount as Wallace. While I agree that Wallace has more value, Odom could possibly fit better for the Cats. He is a more experienced player and he has shown that he is capable of helping a young team get to the playoffs(like what he did for Miami) and with the type of talent that the Cats have, I'm sure they would have a great shot at making the playoffs.

VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#4 » by VintaGe36 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:40 am

vincanity1 wrote:

But thats just me.

I would think that trading for Nazr was an attempt to solidify their front court to make a run for the playoffs, which was not enough. By adding Odom, they could have Nazr come off the bench and he could still be productive or instead they can go with a frontcourt of Nazr/Emeka/Lamar. As I said Odom would bring them versatility at a position of need and also give them options. For example, if Odom doesn't work out well then they could trade him at the deadline since he has value as an expiring or if he does well they could re-sign him for around the same amount as Wallace. While I agree that Wallace has more value, Odom could possibly fit better for the Cats. He is a more experienced player and he has shown that he is capable of helping a young team get to the playoffs(like what he did for Miami) and with the type of talent that the Cats have, I'm sure they would have a great shot at making the playoffs.

Thing is though. Odom's "versatility" from your POV is that he can play both the the 3 and 4. If he could, LAL wouldn't be shopping him for a SF.

I just think CHA is better off keeping G-Force, who compliments J-Rich better.
vincanity1
Senior

Post#5 » by vincanity1 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:13 pm

VintaGe36 wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:

But thats just me.

Thing is though. Odom's "versatility" from your POV is that he can play both the the 3 and 4. If he could, LAL wouldn't be shopping him for a SF.

I just think CHA is better off keeping G-Force, who compliments J-Rich better.

Lamar is definitely capable of playing the 3 because as he has said its his natural position. The reason for LA trading him would be if he doesn't fit in well with the frontcourt of Bynum and Gasol. And yes, Wallace compliments J-Rich better but wouldn't Odom make them a better team? They have better depth at the wing than the pf/c.

Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#6 » by Prospect Dong » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:56 pm

Who do you see playing the wings for the bobcats after this deal? J Rich, Ammo, and spot minutes from Odom?

I think Odom and Wallace have fairly comparable value, but LA is making this trade to fill a need and yet Charlotte is sending out all the extra value. The grizzlies say yes to their portion, but LA needs to send something extra Charlotte's way - maybe adding in Ariza in place of Karl evens it up...
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
vincanity1
Senior

Post#7 » by vincanity1 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:00 pm

It wouldn't be a problem having Ariza in it instead of Karl but the Cats don't have the cap room to take the extra 3 mil.

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#8 » by nate33 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:53 pm

Pretty bad for Charlotte. Wallace > Odom.
vincanity1
Senior

Post#9 » by vincanity1 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:19 pm

any other opinions?

giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,836

Post#10 » by giberish » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:51 pm

A Wallace for Odom based trade makes sense. Charlotte would still have JRich, Carroll, Dudley and Morrison for a respectable wing rotation, while Odom gives them a legit starter at PF. Nazr was brought in to play backup center minutes - he would continue to do this. LA would now have a good SF (Odom was a SF 8 years ago, but now he's very much a PF), so it makes sense for them as well.

The problem is the filler. Wallace is younger and on a good contract. Odom is older, somewhat overpaid this year and an UFA next year. This makes Wallace have a higher trade value than Odom. Yet the deal has Charlotte sending out May (who might have a little value) and Anjia (this year's #20 pick) without getting anything back. As the Lakers have no cheap assets to send to Charlotte and Charlotte doesn't really have good filler salaries to add it's a problem.
93 Phillies
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#11 » by 93 Phillies » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:32 am

Memphis gives up absolutely nothing for Sean May and cash? Meaning that essentially someone paid them to take Sean May? Malick Badiane will never play in the NBA.
vincanity1
Senior

Post#12 » by vincanity1 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:01 am

93 Phillies wrote:Memphis gives up absolutely nothing for Sean May and cash? Meaning that essentially someone paid them to take Sean May? Malick Badiane will never play in the NBA.

I put Memphis in the deal because they are the only team that have cap space, which is the only way the trade can work.

Pointguard#1
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#13 » by Pointguard#1 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:41 pm

Charlotte says no. As someone said before we give up to much with this trade for what we receive. At best case Gerald and Lamar are a wash talent wise with Gerald being three years younger and a whole lot cheaper. Kobe Karl is of no use to us. The two and three are our deepest positions. And then if we traded Alexis for the other dude we would be trading the 20th pick for 40th pick.
Basketball1
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#14 » by Basketball1 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:59 pm

I doubt the Bobcats have any interest in trading Wallace, who is signed to a long-term,
reasonable contract, and I'm sure they have absolutely no interest in trading him for Odom
(who is in the last year of his contract and is scheduled to make $6 million-plus more than
Wallace). And no the filler doesn't remotely make up the difference.

As was mentioned earlier: Walace > Odom.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,670

Post#15 » by dockingsched » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:49 pm

wallace's long term deal, injury concerns, and lack of outside shot make him a pretty bad fit for the lakers. if the lakers weren't a half court team with so many long term deals, its a no brainer...but they are.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#16 » by old rem » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:18 pm

But thats just me.

no...that's me too.

Odum costs $14 mill and scored 14 pt per. Not great bang for the buck,and he's older than wallace and next summer....poof,gone,so the Bobs trade 3 guys,including a very tradeable starter and a recent #1 to what...just dump them for cap room next year? Duh?

makes "LITTLE" sense? Hell,makes no sense at all. Even if LAL adds 2 rd 1's (probably low) it's STILL an easy no from the Bobs. That's how far this misses.
CENSORED... No comment.
vincanity1
Senior

Post#17 » by vincanity1 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:55 pm

Interesting.....I thought it was close....guess not. Any realistic scenarios though? I'm a fan of Ajinca.

Return to Trades and Transactions