miller to CHI

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

dflaschberger
Analyst
And1: 0

miller to CHI 

Post#1 » by dflaschberger » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:13 am

Gooden and hughes for Miller and KThomas

Nice deal for Sac b/c it:
1. frees up minutes for young bigs like Hawes
2. dumps the KThomas situation
3. saves them a bunch of $ for next year
4. Gives them a starting 4 man in gooden-who is a GREAT trading chip at the deadline for a contender needing a 3rd big

Sac is not going to win anything this year-they need to think to the future

For Bulls
1. Dumps hughes, frees up backcourt some
2. Gives us a real starting center who doesn't need big minutes (about 28 a game)
3. Moves Noah to where he belongs, a back up 5/4
4. Let's bulls keep nocioni-who will work well with DRose

Of course, it makes us take on $ for 09 but we could maybe buyout KT to save some
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Re: miller to CHI 

Post#2 » by VintaGe36 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:40 am

SAC would MUCH rather trade Miller separately from KT, let KT rot on the bench for one more year, and get full value back for Miller.

EVEN than, this trade is BAD for SAC.

Brad Miller should fetch expiring/C-Level prospect or Late pick.

The late pick/prospect should be enough to get an expiring back for KT.

So they should, based on value, get pure expirings back, but here they get stuck with Hughes' gross contract.
dflaschberger
Analyst

Post#3 » by dflaschberger » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:12 pm

how do you compare gooden to Miller? I see them as near equal. Sac needs to rebuild and they save a bunch of $ here-they might even be players in the 2009 FA market
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#4 » by old rem » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:23 pm

dflaschberger wrote:how do you compare gooden to Miller? I see them as near equal. Sac needs to rebuild and they save a bunch of $ here-they might even be players in the 2009 FA market

Equal? Gooden is a F who's adequate but to SAC....that's no plus. Miller is a proven C and there's always some market for that. hughes is a bigger bad contract than Thomas and Hughes as a sg, plays the slot where Sac is deepest.
CENSORED... No comment.
dflaschberger
Analyst

Post#5 » by dflaschberger » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:30 pm

Hollinger is calling Miller a great candidate for the Fluke Rule-one good year then a drop.
Miller eats minutes from Hawes
Gooden is a great expiring deal for the deadline

Who is the starting 4 man in Sac? Is he better than gooden? Does this save them enough to have cap space next summer? wouldn't you just try to buy hughes out and save more $? Isn't your goal to rebuild as quickly as possible (meaning $ savings and a higher pick is what you need most?)?
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#6 » by KF10 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:39 pm

dflaschberger wrote:Hollinger is calling Miller a great candidate for the Fluke Rule-one good year then a drop.
Miller eats minutes from Hawes
Gooden is a great expiring deal for the deadline

Who is the starting 4 man in Sac? Is he better than gooden? Does this save them enough to have cap space next summer? wouldn't you just try to buy hughes out and save more $? Isn't your goal to rebuild as quickly as possible (meaning $ savings and a higher pick is what you need most?)?

Hollinger is wrong. He doesn't really knows anything about the Sacramento Kings like avid Kings fans. He predicts that Salmons, Garcia, Udrih and Martin will regress some point in the season. That is inaccurate to say the least.

I don't take ESPN/Hollinger serious. They do not really have a great perspective about the Kings anyways...

And by the way, you keep alluding to NEXT offseason. BUT it is well recorded that the Kings are targeting the 2010 offseason NOT 2009.
dflaschberger
Analyst

Post#7 » by dflaschberger » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:37 pm

of course, but so are 10 other teams-I'm just saying, cap space almost never hurts (of course the bulls proved that wrong with Wallace).

Also, most fans find Hollinger as close to right on as possible. Sac does not have a lot of talent but has some nice young pieces. However, the best thing that could happen to them is a top 3 pick
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#8 » by KF10 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:37 pm

dflaschberger wrote:of course, but so are 10 other teams-I'm just saying, cap space almost never hurts (of course the bulls proved that wrong with Wallace).

Also, most fans find Hollinger as close to right on as possible. Sac does not have a lot of talent but has some nice young pieces. However, the best thing that could happen to them is a top 3 pick

Of course, cap space almost never hurts. But looking at the FAs of 2009. There isn't really any (or anybody at all) ideal players for the Kings. In 2010, we will have around $30 million worth of expiring contracts. Why would we suddenly change our mind for the 2009 FA offseason?

Hollinger is pretty good in stats but in team overviews, majority of the team's fans have to question him if he ever watches a game or two.

Well, we will NEVER resort to tanking, our franchise will never have that LOSER mentality. So, obtaining that high of the pick is pretty unrealistic. Even though, the Kings will be in the lotto again.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#9 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:06 pm

Of course guys like Miller could "regress". If the Kings do poorly in won't be because of a player like Miller but the result is that it will certainly effect his game and more than likely his minutes. Now just because of that it doesn't mean he couldn't significantly contribute to another team.

As for the trade it's pretty interesting. The Kings save about 7 million next year, but if it's possible to just do a straight across Miller deal for more expiring $$$, keeping Kenny and getting that money for next year might make more sense for the Kings.
omeloon
Starter
And1: 1

Post#10 » by omeloon » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:10 am

VintaGe36 wrote:SAC would MUCH rather trade Miller separately from KT, let KT rot on the bench for one more year, and get full value back for Miller.

Gooden is fair value for Miller. Especially considering that the Kings are a rebuilding team with three young centers who need playing time to develop. As a trading chip Gooden will probably fetch more than Miller on the open market. His contract is more reasonable, and GMs are probably less concerned if he will play next season as strong as the year before. Brad Miller is the more rare talent, he's just a more risky addition because of his age, size of contract, and games missed due to injury throughout his career.
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#11 » by KingInExile » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:31 am

dflaschberger wrote:how do you compare gooden to Miller? I see them as near equal. Sac needs to rebuild and they save a bunch of $ here-they might even be players in the 2009 FA market

Being players in a dull market is about as interesting as plucking nose hair. It is far better for the Kings to maximize salary space in an interesting market like 2010 than it is to try to have a moderate amount of room next season and the season after.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,467

Post#12 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:37 am

omeloon wrote:
VintaGe36 wrote:SAC would MUCH rather trade Miller separately from KT, let KT rot on the bench for one more year, and get full value back for Miller.

Gooden is fair value for Miller. Especially considering that the Kings are a rebuilding team with three young centers who need playing time to develop. As a trading chip Gooden will probably fetch more than Miller on the open market. His contract is more reasonable, and GMs are probably less concerned if he will play next season as strong as the year before. Brad Miller is the more rare talent, he's just a more risky addition because of his age, size of contract, and games missed due to injury throughout his career.

Three young centers?....

Hawes and....???

Shelden is a 6-9 PF, Jason Thompson is more of a SF/PF, same with Donte Green...the other C's on the team are Miller/Moore...not exactly young.
dflaschberger
Analyst

Post#13 » by dflaschberger » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:21 am

cap space can be used in trades too-plus they can save $ for 10 too.

I'm not saying tank-gooden is solid, but they should play hawes big minutes, along with thompson and see what they have.

I, like many bulls fans, like martin, but if he is your best player-they're never going anywhere
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#14 » by rpa » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:54 am

dflaschberger wrote:Miller eats minutes from Hawes

Gooden eats minutes from Thompson, Williams, & possibly Greene as well (I could see Greene playing the 4 in a small ball lineup)

Also, what's the point in taking Gooden & Hughes for Miller & Thomas if you think the Kings purpose is to clear cap space? Miller's worth expiring contracts by himself and thus it makes infinitely more sense to simply dump him straight up for those expiring contracts (which clear more cap space than a Gooden/Hughes package would).

Just a poorly thought out trade IMO
fudgie
RealGM
And1: 701

Post#15 » by fudgie » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:33 am

What do Kings fans think of Gooden + Nocioni for Miller + Thomas.

My plan would be for the Bulls to cut/buy out Hughes after this trade as they wouldn't need his expiring next season anymore.
I'd always thought of propane as a dignified lady. But she can also be a dirty girl.
dflaschberger
Analyst

Post#16 » by dflaschberger » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:33 am

I posted a gooden/noc for miller and douby-no way Pax dumps both noc and gooden and takes on KT

and who is going to give up expirings for Miller? Honestly, we could use him but I want to move gooden to free up minutes for TThomas. I also think Noah is a perfect third big. I doubt Miller's value is that high.

Finally, isn't Hawes doing well so far?
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by VintaGe36 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:35 pm

^Your not really give them expirings.

It's Gooden/Hughes for Miller/KT isn't it?

Getting stuck with Hughe's contract, with really no signifigant sweetener, AND having to lose Brad's productivity when you don't necessarily have to is pretty bad for SAC.

What if SAC offered you KT/Douby for Hinrich?

It shorten's Hinrich's deal, and opens up time for Rose?
dflaschberger
Analyst

Post#18 » by dflaschberger » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:40 pm

no way on that counter-kirk has more value than Miller.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#19 » by shrink » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:43 pm

With three different Miller's who are getting discussion on the trade board, you might want to edit the title in your original post.
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by VintaGe36 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:48 pm

dflaschberger wrote:no way on that counter-kirk has more value than Miller.

It wasn't a counter, it was proving a point.

Why would SAC downgrade in talent, get almost a wash in contracts, and get no sweetener for it?

Return to Trades and Transactions