Philly/Utah - Dalembert for Okur!

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Mufasa
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Philly/Utah - Dalembert for Okur! 

Post#1 » by Mufasa » Sat Nov 1, 2008 9:14 am

I was just thinking, wouldn't this trade make all kind of sense? Utah would have to throw in like Fesenko to make the contracts work btw, but who cares.

Boozer/Dalembert would compliment each other as an offensive/defensive combo... at this point I really don't think Boozer/Okur can guard enough to win the title. This would give them an entirely new dimension.

Philly gets their outside shooter, which they desperately need. Brand/Okur is damn nice.
SiCk-R-tHaNeVeR
Junior
And1: 1

Re: Philly/Utah - Dalembert for Okur! 

Post#2 » by SiCk-R-tHaNeVeR » Sat Nov 1, 2008 9:38 am

Mufasa wrote:I was just thinking, wouldn't this trade make all kind of sense? Utah would have to throw in like Fesenko to make the contracts work btw, but who cares.

Boozer/Dalembert would compliment each other as an offensive/defensive combo... at this point I really don't think Boozer/Okur can guard enough to win the title. This would give them an entirely new dimension.

Philly gets their outside shooter, which they desperately need. Brand/Okur is damn nice.

It's funny normally I'd be all about the defensive player, and I think this trade might actually be a good fit as you have described. However, even as a Jazz hater I think Okur has some additional value over Dalembert that has to made up for somewhere, right?

At a minimum I think the Jazz get Marreese Speights, Jazz fan might require a bit more. Although, maybe you could get some Jazz fans on board based on their defensive needs.
hoops4life
General Manager
And1: 31

Post#3 » by hoops4life » Sat Nov 1, 2008 1:55 pm

Jazz say no to this.
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#4 » by Smills91 » Sat Nov 1, 2008 2:29 pm

I actually think the value is close enough, and the needs fitting enough to make sense. However, I still don't think either teams pulls the trigger.
hoops4life
General Manager
And1: 31

Post#5 » by hoops4life » Sat Nov 1, 2008 4:53 pm

Dalembert's defense is good but it isn't good enough to overcome Okur's offense and the fact that Dalembert makes $2-3 million more per year.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#6 » by loserX » Sat Nov 1, 2008 5:40 pm

There is definite merit to it in terms of value and skillset...but I honestly wonder whether Okur has the athleticism to fit in Philly's new run-and-jump philosophy, and whether Dalembert has the system smarts to succeed under Sloan.

I agree with Smills that both teams have something to think about...but both probably decline (unless they both struggle and really need a change).
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#7 » by Nolan » Sat Nov 1, 2008 5:55 pm

I love the idea of this but Utah needs to get something else back. Maybe they swap Collins and Speights as well. :dontknow:
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Ricepilar
Head Coach
And1: 73

Post#8 » by Ricepilar » Sat Nov 1, 2008 6:02 pm

I dont care about "skillset." The Jazz arent gonna trade a good player for a mediocre one.
LLegend33
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#9 » by LLegend33 » Sat Nov 1, 2008 6:22 pm

Yes...

Yes, and YES.

This is what I've been saying all along, and the funny thing is, well hold on:

1. Utah needs to swap Okur for a defensive Center. If they want a championship...

2. Philly needs more firepower.

3. In the past, a Okur/Dal deal wouldnt make sense, but Dally has upped his D and his efficiency. And Okur hasn't been as good as he was a few years back.

Both teams have a good def. sf - iggy/ak

Utah has a soft def. PF, needs a def. C.

Philly has good def. frontcourt, but not enough firepower...

PERFECT trade... :.)
LLegend33
Banned User

Post#10 » by LLegend33 » Sat Nov 1, 2008 6:23 pm

Nolan wrote:I love the idea of this but Utah needs to get something else back. Maybe they swap Collins and Speights as well. :dontknow:

Yea, but no buddy.

Not that much atleast.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#11 » by youngcrev » Sat Nov 1, 2008 11:05 pm

It's a tough call as a Sixer fan. I'll tell you one thing though, the team and fans are very high on Maurice Speights, so attempting to add him is a deal breaker. While Sam doesn't provide much offensively, he does hit the offensive boards, and that seems more important next to Brand than scoring. Okur's ability to stretch the floor is just so tempting, as it makes Andre Miller's inability to do so much less of a liability. I almost feel like I'd have to say just because our starting backcourt can't shoot a lick and Thad Young is still developing that aspect of his game.

Right now, I say yes to an Okur/Sam swap. That answer might change after tonight's game though.

You could add some small salary players from Utah to even out salary, or possibly add a Jason Smith for Matt Harpring swap to the deal (backup SF is also a concern for the Sixers... and clearly not for the Jazz).
gonzo
Junior
And1: 10

Post#12 » by gonzo » Sun Nov 2, 2008 12:27 am

Nolan wrote:I love the idea of this but Utah needs to get something else back. Maybe they swap Collins and Speights as well. :dontknow:

The Jazz are supposedly looking to trade Morris Almond, as they didn't pick up the option on his rookie contract. He couldn't break into the Jazz rotation because they're so deep at 2 and 3. But somebody is going to pick up a shooter that really hasn't got a chance outside of the D league. It still works to add him to your trade idea, plus makes giving up Speights a little easier?

I'm actually bummed we didn't get to see what Almond could do with some real playing time. Plus I was hoping Speights would fall to us in the draft. :D

Thoughts??
Racer X wrote:We are not out of this mother yet.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#13 » by youngcrev » Sun Nov 2, 2008 1:49 am

^^Again, Speights is a deal breaker.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,319

Post#14 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Nov 2, 2008 3:28 am

I agree that this would be a good move for both teams. Both teams need to make a change if they are going to cause any damage, I think Daly is the player Utah needs, I think Okur would be a great complement to Brand and all of Philly's slashers.
IggyTheBEaST
RealGM

Post#15 » by IggyTheBEaST » Mon Nov 3, 2008 11:55 pm

Easy no for sixers. Want to give us korver back, we will start listening
===========

ITBs Dream Team:

Iverson/Iggy/Lebron/Amare/Dwight

I <3 Thaddeous
IggyTheBEaST
RealGM

Post#16 » by IggyTheBEaST » Mon Nov 3, 2008 11:56 pm

works under cap Trade ID #4799109
===========

ITBs Dream Team:

Iverson/Iggy/Lebron/Amare/Dwight

I <3 Thaddeous
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#17 » by loserX » Tue Nov 4, 2008 12:05 am

IggyTheBEaST wrote:works under cap Trade ID #4799109

Fails under plausibility.
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#18 » by corwin » Tue Nov 4, 2008 10:43 am

This trade was talked about this summer. I'd say that there's no way that Philly gives up it's interior defense for Okur. Makes little sense for a defensive oriented team. The thing that people are also forgetting is that Jason Smith is looking like a similar player to Okur. He's out for the year but should be back next year since his ACL injury is not considered career threatening. I agree with other Philly fans who say that there is no way that Speights is being moved. He's falling into the T Young, L Williams "almost untouchable" group of players.

Return to Trades and Transactions