Bibby for Baron?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Storm Surge
General Manager
And1: 16

Re: Bibby for Baron? 

Post#21 » by Storm Surge » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:34 am

loserX wrote:^Fine. I'll go with "Top 10" PG instead.

I just don't understand the concept of trading him for capspace so soon. Once the Clips have that capspace, they'll use it to sign an FA...how many games will that guy get before HE gets tossed on the scrapheap?

Sterling doesn't care about winning, he only cares about making a profit.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#22 » by loserX » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:38 am

^Then signing Baron was a bad move to begin with, and trading capspace for Camby was indefensible. So I disagree.

I guess I'm just in the minority on this one, but I believe you DON'T trade stud players away for next-to-nothing after FEWER THAN TEN GAMES, especially if you're a franchise that historically has been unable to sign stud players in the first place.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#23 » by old rem » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:42 am

Baron Davis is/has been/maybe one notch shy of All Star and a lot of that has to do with what team he's on.

loser X is right....whether it's the Warriors or Clips, if your main bitch is that your last Free agent venture was not enough to lift you to way past where you were. Then why is the NEXT free agent go-round gonna be better?
CENSORED... No comment.
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#24 » by VintaGe36 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:49 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:
loserX wrote:I maintain my previous stance. If the Clips ditch Baron after fewer than 10 games, they are complete idiots. All-star PGs are not easy to come by, and the Clips should know that as well as anyone.

Build around him instead of ditching him...keep him unless he demands out.

Baron Davis has not been an All-Star since 2004, and only one other time before then. Can we PLEASE officially stop calling Baron Davis an "All-Star PG"? Do we still call Peja Stojakovic an "All-Star SF"? After all, he made 3 appearances, to Baron's 2. How about Ben Wallace, Sam Cassell or Jamaal Magloire?

I understand that B-Diddy is a really talented player (even though his inefficiency is mind-boggling), but it's time to put calling him an "All-Star" to rest.

I'm almost positive you've called VC an "all star" SG many times before.

If VC is labeled as an "all star" SG, than Davis is an "all star" PG.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,369

Post#25 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:50 am

I'll go out on a limb on this one, but what would both teams think of this one?

LAC sends:
Baron Davis
Tim Thomas

LAL sends:
Jordan Farmar
Lamar Odom
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#26 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:54 am

VintaGe36 wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:
loserX wrote:I maintain my previous stance. If the Clips ditch Baron after fewer than 10 games, they are complete idiots. All-star PGs are not easy to come by, and the Clips should know that as well as anyone.

Build around him instead of ditching him...keep him unless he demands out.

Baron Davis has not been an All-Star since 2004, and only one other time before then. Can we PLEASE officially stop calling Baron Davis an "All-Star PG"? Do we still call Peja Stojakovic an "All-Star SF"? After all, he made 3 appearances, to Baron's 2. How about Ben Wallace, Sam Cassell or Jamaal Magloire?

I understand that B-Diddy is a really talented player (even though his inefficiency is mind-boggling), but it's time to put calling him an "All-Star" to rest.

I'm almost positive you've called VC an "all star" SG many times before.

Jesus.
The VC hate is gettin' thick in here.

Big difference there buddy.
VC is a 7 or 8 time allstar.
I think the only 2 times he hasn't made it in his career were his rookie year and last season and he is well on his way this year again.
Gimme a break.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,465

Post#27 » by dockingsched » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:59 am

there really isn't any chance the lakers would take on davis' contract even if the clips were interested in dumping him.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
NW
Starter
And1: 347

Post#28 » by NW » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:07 am

old rem wrote:Baron Davis is/has been/maybe one notch shy of All Star and a lot of that has to do with what team he's on.

loser X is right....whether it's the Warriors or Clips, if your main bitch is that your last Free agent venture was not enough to lift you to way past where you were. Then why is the NEXT free agent go-round gonna be better?

I think the big issue was they got Baron with the understanding that Brand was coming too.

I question if they even sign Baron if they knew Brand was going to pull his move.

I don't think they're going to look at moving him though. That team has far bigger problems than Baron.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#29 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 am

VintaGe36 wrote:I'm almost positive you've called VC an "all star" SG many times before.

Oh my god, dude, you did not just compare these two?! :wavefinger:

Vince Carter is an 8-TIME ALL-STAR and a HoFer, a whole different level than Davis. Plus, his last appearance was in 2007. I say, if you are more than two years removed from your All-Star appearance OR less than half of your years in the NBA were All-Star ones, you should not consider yourself an "All-Star __".

This argument is an exercise in futility.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#30 » by VintaGe36 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:34 am

Hofer? I don't completely agree but thats for another time.

How many SGs can you name that are better than or at the level of VC?

Kobe Bryant
Dwayne Wade
Tracy McGrady
Manu Ginoboli
Brandon Roy
Vince Carter
Richard Hamilton

I view these guys at about the same level.

Now lets do PG's.

CP3
Deron
Nash
Billups
Davis
Rose

I really don't see a difference

Both are elite, but not superstars.

2nd tier at their position.

So if one is an allstar, so is the other.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#31 » by DanTown8587 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:35 am

Am I the only one who thinks the cheap Hawks decline this deal? Granted, its a huge move for them as Davis fits perfectly (likes to run and play passing lanes and has guys like Smith/Horford to cover his mistakes), but their next year salary cap at roughly 55 million (and letting Marvin go)

Davis/Law/Claxton
Johnson
Evans/#1 pick
Smith
Horford/Morris

Now I am not saying that isn't a good team, but the Hawks don't strike me as a team that wants to have a payroll over the 70 million plateau, so I can see two MLE type signings and roster fill out and thats your team. Or they spend a lot of their money on Marvin and fill out the roster with LLE type guys. Its an option, I just don't see the Hawks doing it.

All that being said, I would personally take that deal and run if I was Atlanta and try and move Law for a big.
lunarblues
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#32 » by lunarblues » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:07 am

the reason the hawks decline that deal is
1) we're cheap
2) we want efficient point guards (anti-BD)
3) we're cheap

they would rather resign bibby for less than be stuck with that contract. also, marvin is coming along nicely and i doubt he leaves this year.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#33 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:11 am

lunarblues wrote:the reason the hawks decline that deal is
1) we're cheap
2) we want efficient point guards (anti-BD)
3) we're cheap

they would rather resign bibby for less than be stuck with that contract. also, marvin is coming along nicely and i doubt he leaves this year.

Yeah I either drafted him late or picked him up early in my one fantasy league and I am pleasantly suprised he has added the long ball to his arsenal this year.
shagadelic45
General Manager
And1: 85

Post#34 » by shagadelic45 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:55 pm

it's for the better for ATL, but with the ownership situation, i see what you are saying
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#35 » by giberish » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:28 am

turk3d wrote:Has Baron's perceived value dropped that low, that someone would consider trading him for Bibby? lol.

Baron >>> Bibby

How about Dec. 15 the Warriors trade you Maggette + Marcus Williams and you trade us back Baron? Then all of us would be happy. lol

Maggette back to the Clippers is even less likely than Baron back to GS.

GS trades Maggs + Williams for Baron
OKC trades Watson + Wilkins + Pick?? for Maggs + Willimas
LAC trades Baron for Watson + Wilkins + Pick?

I might even do this.

Return to Trades and Transactions