Hamilton for Kaman?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NickLidstrom
Junior
And1: 102

Hamilton for Kaman? 

Post#1 » by NickLidstrom » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:15 pm

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.ph ... id=4827872

Instead of rebuilding, Detroit begins a transition into a new competitive starting five. AI and Rip just aren't on the same page at the moment and their games aren't exactly complimentary. Rip also signed his extension just days before Billups was shipped out, so there might be some tension there. Stuckey steps into the 1 spot and is forced to grow up in a hurry.

Assuming the Clips land Randolph, they'll be in a position to move one of their starting-quality bigs. Losing Kaman hurts, but Hamilton rounds out the starting five nicely. For whatever reason, the Clippers want to win now and this trade would help them achieve that.

Is this close enough that some draft picks might tilt it one way or the other?
may191988
Junior
And1: 0

Re: Hamilton for Kaman? 

Post#2 » by may191988 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:47 pm

i think it is a nice start but detroit should send a 1st to LA.
LAKERS*CLIPPERS*BULLS
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant
And1: 5

Post#3 » by pardon_my_interruption » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:59 pm

I like the idea but Detroit would also need to bring back a guy with size that can at least defend at the 2 and knock down some shots.

Iverson full time at SG next to Stuckey isn't an ideal backcourt and Afflalo off the bench won't help them much in the playoffs.

Perhaps if they can find a way to work Mobley in the package to Detroit (get in on the Knicks/Warriors/Clippers deal) or if the Pistons could trade Amir for a guard after getting Kaman, they would consider this.

With their current roster/salaries it would be hard for them to get both Mobley and Kaman without giving up another key player in addition to Hamilton.

So it comes down to whether they could find a suitable deal for Amir for depth at SG/SF.

Something like Amir and filler (Hermann/Acker) for Desmond Mason/Johan Petro/2nd rounder as an example.

Just my two cents as an outsider of both teams.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#4 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:03 pm

NickLidstrom, if you want to add a link to a TradeChecker-approved trade, make sure to click the Trade ID#, in order to get the url for the actual trade. Otherwise, we can't see the proof. (Try clicking your link if you don't understand what I mean...).

As for the trade, I don't think this is worth LAC's while. Rip and Iverson are working better together than at first, and besides, Hamilton would be an even worse fit alongside Baron IMO.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by pardon_my_interruption » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:06 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote: Hamilton would be an even worse fit alongside Baron IMO.

I think I agree with this as well.
NickLidstrom
Junior

Post#6 » by NickLidstrom » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:08 pm

EDIT: Nevermind...
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,936

Post#7 » by Effigy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:09 pm

If the Clippers get Randolph, I think that would be a reflection that they aren't satisfied with Camby, and therefor would be looking to move Camby, not Kaman. Change it to Rip for Camby and the Clippers probably do this.
ClipperEric
Rookie

Post#8 » by ClipperEric » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:28 pm

With the age difference the Clippers are going to need more in return.
KM44
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#9 » by KM44 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:28 pm

initially i really liked the trade but a good point was brought up about rip alongside baron...rip needs a pass first pg in order to take full advantage of his talent
Nicky Nix Nook wrote:In two years:

Thompson > Aldridge
NickLidstrom
Junior

Post#10 » by NickLidstrom » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:49 pm

I could see the Pistons throwing in a first to compensate for the age difference.

As for the Baron issue, I think it's a legit concern. Like somebody mentioned, though, Rip's not doing THAT badly with AI. The Pistons just need post offense a lot more than a jumpshooting guard right now. The Clippers, on the other hand, have three starting-caliber bigs and some big holes in the backcourt. Rip provides some quality defense and can hit the jumpers defenses will leave open trying to guard the two post players and Baron's driving.
ClipperDomination
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#11 » by ClipperDomination » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:56 am

Sign me up for a Rip/Kaman swap. Baron isn't as much of a score first PG as AI, and it would allow Rip more freedom on the floor.
Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#12 » by Jase » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:26 am

Bonzi wrote:If the Clippers get Randolph, I think that would be a reflection that they aren't satisfied with Camby, and therefor would be looking to move Camby, not Kaman. Change it to Rip for Camby and the Clippers probably do this.

I don't think that's the case at all. I think they knew what they were getting with Camby, and I think he'll meet those modest expectations. The team was still in the process of gelling before the big trade today was made, so now it will take even longer for all of these guys to get used to playing with each other. I think the Clippers saw a guy available who would replace Elton Brand's numbers, and they wouldn't even have to give up a starter in order to acquire him. Personally, I don't think it has all that much, if anything, to do with Camby.
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,679

Post#13 » by Cowology » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:37 am

pardon_my_interruption wrote:Iverson full time at SG next to Stuckey isn't an ideal backcourt and Afflalo off the bench won't help them much in the playoffs.

For what it's worth I think we'd wanna start Afflalo at the 2 guard and keep AI at the 1 still. The minutes would look like this...

PG: Iverson/Bynum
SG: Afflalo/Stuckey

You gotta understand the Pistons are using a sort of Princeton offense. Tayshaun Prince is really playing point forward for us when he's on the court and Afflalo provides the defensive compliment needed in the backcourt.

I don't think guard depth is that big of an issue. I'd rather get a legit backup SF for Prince. Somebody who can play 15-20 mpg.

Anyway, I don't think it makes any sense for the Clips to trade Kaman. Camby is old. Kaman is young. This isn't rocket science.

As for the idea of trading Rip for Camby? Please, the Pistons wouldn't even consider that. At most you'd get something like Kwame, Maxiell and Hermann for Camby. Or we'd need to be getting back Gordon in the deal.
rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#14 » by rambo_ortega » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:07 am

maybe the pistons should send a 1st or amir johnson for kaman and a filler. the age difference will matter so the pistons should add more. they become better with this trade though. kaman will be the low post scorer they lack while stuckey can now start with AI.

Return to Trades and Transactions