Det/Mem/Por

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Det/Mem/Por 

Post#1 » by princeofpalace » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:28 pm

Detroit out: 09 First, Maxiel, Hermann
Detroit in: Travis Outlaw
Detroit clears up their PF logjam and gets a credible backup at SF

Memphis out: Mike Conley, Hakim Warrick
Memphis in: Channing Frye, Sergio Rodriguez, Walter Hermann, 09 First
Memphis gets their perimeter shooters in Frye/Hermann, another point, and a first

Por out: Outlaw, Frye, Sergio
Por in: Maxiel, Warrick, Conley
Conley and Oden reunite, they get a big thats tough and plays d on a very nice contract and Warrick.
legacyinthemakin89c
Veteran
And1: 1

Re: Det/Mem/Por 

Post#2 » by legacyinthemakin89c » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:24 pm

Outlaw isn't worth that. Hermann has been doing fine as a backup and without Billups, we lack good outside shooting and Hermann helps that problem. No reason for us to to that, I would do maybe Maxiell for Outlaw straight up, but nothing else.
Red Robot
Assistant Coach
And1: 113

Post#3 » by Red Robot » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:50 pm

It's not a terrible trade for anybody.

I agree that Detroit overpays some, but it may be worth it because they also get to consolidate. It's a lateral move in terms of talent, but Outlaw can create his own offense, and I think he could help them quite a bit. He's a good shooter, so I wouldn't worry too much about losing Hermann.

Memphis gets respectable return, although they may continue to value Conley higher than other teams.

I still don't think the Blazers have any use for Conley, so they'd probably prefer to cut Memphis out. I don't think he's worth Sergio, Frye, Hermann, and the pick. Even if Memphis is left in, Maxiell gives Portland a nice upgrade to the Outlaw/Conley trade. I'm sure there are some fans who'd still rather keep Outlaw.
andalusian
Senior
And1: 305

Post#4 » by andalusian » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:05 pm

I am a Portland fan and I love Outlaw - but Maxiell is just great. He would be the perfect backup PF to LMA.
princeofpalace
RealGM

Post#5 » by princeofpalace » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:17 pm

Would it be better for Detroit if they took out the first rounder? So it would essentially be Maxiel/Hermann for Outlaw? Also, Hermann has played well for 2 games and has pretty much been on the bench since and Outlaw is a good shooter as well. Maxiel is okay but Detroit is solid at PF especially when Dice comes back
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#6 » by Liqourish » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:27 pm

I don't think Outlaw is worth Maxiell/Herrmann.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#7 » by Milkdud » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:44 pm

From a Portland perspective I would rather cut the Grizz out send Outlaw/Frye and whatever else to get Maxiell.
princeofpalace
RealGM

Post#8 » by princeofpalace » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:01 pm

See I remember a whole lot of Outlaw + crap for Tay packages which is why I thought his value was a lot higher than it apparently is.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#9 » by Liqourish » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:18 pm

Those were by Portland homers and Outlaw fanboys. Travis Outlaw is a decent backup SF but he's not worth Maxiell let alone Maxiell/Herrmann and he sure as hell isn't worth a 1st.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Outlaw traded for Conley. Conley hasn't done anything since drafted by Memphis and with Mayo there, he won't earn a starting gig. He can go to Portland, ride Odens coattails again and take the place of Steve Blake.
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant
And1: 5

Post#10 » by pardon_my_interruption » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:29 pm

No. Just no.

Memphis downgrades at PG and PF for a late 1st round pick.

NO.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#11 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:36 pm

Liqourish wrote:Those were by Portland homers and Outlaw fanboys. Travis Outlaw is a decent backup SF but he's not worth Maxiell let alone Maxiell/Herrmann and he sure as hell isn't worth a 1st.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Outlaw traded for Conley. Conley hasn't done anything since drafted by Memphis and with Mayo there, he won't earn a starting gig. He can go to Portland, ride Odens coattails again and take the place of Steve Blake.

there's some ample evidence here that you don't know some of what you're talking about. Outlaw will NOT be traded for Conley. Portland won't consider it. And he sure isn't capable of replacing blake. He's probably not even capable of replacing rodriguez. The reason he "hasn't done anything since drafted by memphis" (your words) is that he's simply not that good.

as far as the comparison between outlaw and maxiel, a lot depends on what a team is looking for. They both have flaws in their games.

The flaws for maxiel start at his height. He's listed at 6'7 which is plenty short for a PF. But that listing is almost certainly an exaggeration. At the orlando pre-draft in 2005, he was measured as 6'5 even without shoes. He was 22 at the time so he hasn't grown any since then. He doesn't have a strong perimeter game at either end of the floor, so he has limited utility as a SF. He is strong and athletic, but he's still a role player. You overstate his value.
N.O.R.E.
RealGM
And1: 240

Post#12 » by N.O.R.E. » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:03 am

^So what if Maxiell is a role player, so are Outlaw, Webster, Frye and everyone else on the Blazers (Big 3+Rudy aside). What's your point?
Who said Outlaw won't be traded for Conley? Is your name Kevin Pritchard?
Of course Conley hasn't lived up to being the #4 pick YET, if he had he certainly wouldn't be available for Travis freakin Outlaw. /rant
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#13 » by SabasRevenge! » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:34 am

Actually the reports are that the deal has been on the table for quite some time and Pritchard has been the one holding it up. He flat out said it wouldn't happen and personally spoke to Outlaw about it after the yahoo rumor.

The Conley selection looks like a blown pick right now, but we're only a month into his second season. Folks over here in Portland would have been all over trading Outlaw for Conley last summer and Sergio could be a throw in, but not anymore. Sergio has improved his game quite a bit since last year and Outlaw's increased range and consistency has been quite an asset, and Outlaw has looked a lot better on D for stretches.

Perhaps the point wiz was making up there was that we've probably seen what Maxiell will be while Outlaw, Webster, Batum, Bayless, etc. are still works in progress and could become more than "role players" as if being a role player (Prince anyone?) were a negative.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#14 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:51 am

N.O.R.E. wrote:^So what if Maxiell is a role player, so are Outlaw, Webster, Frye and everyone else on the Blazers (Big 3+Rudy aside). What's your point?

my point is that trading role player for role players means the value is set more by the roles they play then anything else. There is on objective measurement for talent in any case, and trying to divine the value of a role player is subjectively slanted by the needs of a team.

I responded to a post that said outlaw wasn't as valuable as maxiel. I think that's quite debatable from portland's perspective. Maxiel isn't going to be playing SF for portland with batum, webster, roy, and fernandez around. He'll be a backup power forward. Aldridge is going to play 32-36 minutes so Maxiel isn't going to get much burn. meanwhile, Outlaw plays both forward positions. Not only that he gives something that portland needs with his 3 point shooting. Maxiel can't do that. Maxiel is a good rebounder for his size, but portland is not a weak rebounding team.

In other words, a case can easily be made that Outlaw has more value to the blazers then maxiel would have, especially in a trade that brings in another player they don't need in Conley.

Who said Outlaw won't be traded for Conley? Is your name Kevin Pritchard?

yes...aka wizenheimer

Of course Conley hasn't lived up to being the #4 pick YET, if he had he certainly wouldn't be available for Travis freakin Outlaw. /rant

calm down there nore. Don't be so rant-prone just because I 'failed' your trade proposal. I'm not the only blazer fan that has rejected the notion of Conley becoming a blazer. As a matter of fact, it's been reported here that KP spent some time assuring Outlaw the rumors were false.
zong
Assistant Coach
And1: 101

Post#15 » by zong » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:49 am

The rumours state its KP whos holding up the deal, and rightfully so. Outlaw's skill and potential gives every GM the right to balk at pulling the trigger.

Return to Trades and Transactions