Blazers / Grizzlies Rudy for Rudy

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

DeezXXnutZ
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Blazers / Grizzlies Rudy for Rudy 

Post#1 » by DeezXXnutZ » Tue Dec 2, 2008 3:07 am

Congratulations on a successful trade.
Due to Portland being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Portland had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Trade ID
Trade ID #4846495
Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario.

Portland Trade Breakdown

Incoming Players

Rudy Gay
6-8 SF from Connecticut
20.2 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.8 apg in 37.8 minutes

Mike Conley
6-1 PG from Ohio State
7.2 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 4.0 apg in 26.4 minutes

Outgoing Players

Sergio Rodriguez
6-3 PG from Spain (Foreign)
3.5 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 4.1 apg in 14.9 minutes

Rudy Fernandez
6-6 SG from Spain (Foreign)
11.1 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.9 apg in 26.1 minutes

Jerryd Bayless
6-3 PG from Arizona
0.7 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 0.7 apg in 6.3 minutes

Travis Outlaw
6-9 SF from Starkville (HS)
10.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 1.5 apg in 27.3 minutes

Memphis Trade Breakdown

Incoming Players

Sergio Rodriguez
6-3 PG from Spain (Foreign)
3.5 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 4.1 apg in 14.9 minutes

Rudy Fernandez
6-6 SG from Spain (Foreign)
11.1 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.9 apg in 26.1 minutes

Jerryd Bayless
6-3 PG from Arizona
0.7 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 0.7 apg in 6.3 minutes

Travis Outlaw
6-9 SF from Starkville (HS)
10.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 1.5 apg in 27.3 minutes

Outgoing Players

Rudy Gay
6-8 SF from Connecticut
20.2 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.8 apg in 37.8 minutes

Mike Conley
6-1 PG from Ohio State
7.2 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 4.0 apg in 26.4 minutes
andalusian
Senior
And1: 305

Re: Blazers / Grizzlies Rudy for Rudy 

Post#2 » by andalusian » Tue Dec 2, 2008 3:22 am

You leave Portland with no backup SG - making it easy to say no.

On the Memphis side - why do they need 3 small guards with Mayo, Rudy and Bayless?

I am not sure why this trade makes sense for either team.

Portland will probably be just better keeping Bayless to see how he does as a PG (as good a prospect as Conley) - and while Gay is better than Outlaw - he is not really a need for Portland.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#3 » by old rem » Tue Dec 2, 2008 3:23 am

Generally a few 11 ppg guys don't = a 20 ppg guy. The package almost gets there....not quite. IS...and COULD BECOME do not really carry equal weight. The jury is still very out on Conley-Bayless as both were very high picks and neither is currently a solid PG. Add a #1 from Portland and a rd 2 from the Griz and it's closer, but even then, The best of what Memphis gets is probably Rudy F...who plays the same spot as Mayo. So....he's a 6th man and they do a big downgrade at SF..still get no boost at PF...and bitch that the deal was all about what the Blazers need and not at all about the Griz needs.
CENSORED... No comment.
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#4 » by KingInExile » Tue Dec 2, 2008 3:24 am

Way too lopsided in favor of the Blazers. Ser-Rod, Fernandez, Outlaw and Bayless are barley sufficient compensation for Gay by himself. Fernandez may have shown a lot of good potential so far this season, but Ser-Rod is more on the mediocre side of the talent scale, Outlaw is streaky and Bayless has yet to really show anything in the NBA level. Gay is a highly proven commodity that is arguably perennial all-star caliber and Conley is easily a starting caliber PG.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
Red Robot
Assistant Coach
And1: 113

Post#5 » by Red Robot » Tue Dec 2, 2008 3:29 am

I'd do it as a Blazer fan. This trade locks in another long-term starter. The Blazers don't need Conley, so if it helps get the trade done you can replace Conley with Buckner and remove Sergio. I don't think it makes sense for the Grizzlies to trade Gay though.
DeezXXnutZ
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by DeezXXnutZ » Tue Dec 2, 2008 3:32 am

I was thinking Bayless and Conley were pretty much a wash...That makes it Rudy, sergio, and Outlaw for Gay...Blazers are making more of a consolidation move as where the Grizz would be filling out the roster of not great players but very good players...this trade also would match Conley back up with Oden which has been talked about at nauseum on here and would also pair Rudy and sergio up with Marc Gasol (Spanish connection)...

This was a starting point for me on this trade and wanted to get some input as to where it is at...Picks can be easily added to satisfy sides....
halfcourt
Banned User

Post#7 » by halfcourt » Tue Dec 2, 2008 3:35 am

terrible for the grizzlies and way too good for Portland. Its funny how i have to say that in all trades involving portland
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#8 » by gswhoops » Tue Dec 2, 2008 3:41 am

You'd have to involve one of the big 3 to get Gay in a Blazers uniform.
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#9 » by VintaGe36 » Tue Dec 2, 2008 3:50 am

halfcourt wrote:terrible for the grizzlies and way too good for Portland. Its funny how i have to say that in all trades involving portland

It's funny how the same can be said about most TOR trades too.....

Lets not blanket an entire fan base please!

-Vintage
DeezXXnutZ
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by DeezXXnutZ » Tue Dec 2, 2008 4:01 am

gswhoops wrote:You'd have to involve one of the big 3 to get Gay in a Blazers uniform.

LMA would be the closest in value but he still has more value then Gay...With Rudy involved you don't think the Blazers could make a trade to snag Gay.?
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#11 » by VintaGe36 » Tue Dec 2, 2008 4:37 am

Not until Rudy plays god for an extended period of time.
grizzleGM
Analyst

Post#12 » by grizzleGM » Tue Dec 2, 2008 5:50 am

I think there could be something if POR would consider:

Conley, Gay
for
Aldridge, (filler)
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#13 » by DanTown8587 » Tue Dec 2, 2008 6:24 am

I think Gay+Conley for Aldridge+Outlaw works in terms of value for the players involved, but the problem is that the Blazers have depth in the backcourt, not frontcourt. If they dealt Bayless in a separate deal to get a big man who is competent up front, than maybe. Otherwise, the downgrade at PF for the Blazers is greater than the upgrade at the SF spot.
SoHo
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by SoHo » Tue Dec 2, 2008 7:12 am

I just don't see Memphis dealing Gay. I don't follow the Grizz that closely, but it seems to me that they need to keep the talent they have and build on that, not dilute it further. So I understand the calls for Aldridge coming from Portland's end and that is going to kill the conversation real quick, we have a sufficient SF rotation, and without Aldridge our PF spot becomes the weakest on the floor.

If at some point Memphis gets another excellent swing player and wants to move Mayo to the PG spot (and as Vintage noted Fernandez lives up to his hype) then this might be something to consider, but for right now I don't think this is draws enough interest from Memphis (not to mention Portland is probably looking to use some of these assets to upgrade the PG spot, not the SF spot).
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Post#15 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Tue Dec 2, 2008 11:04 am

If I was a Blazers fan i would sell Oden now while he still has value...he is the next Kwame Brown.

I watched him a couple of times, but when i actually went to a game to watch him in person, I was laughing at how clumsy, slow, and HORRIBLE he is at offense. I'm telling you, trade him now or you'll regret it!!!
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,211

Post#16 » by BBallFreak » Tue Dec 2, 2008 11:57 am

DeezXXnutZ wrote:...That makes it Rudy, sergio, and Outlaw for Gay...

Would you trade Roy for Warrick, Lowry, and Millicic?
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#17 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Dec 2, 2008 2:47 pm

I like the Spanish connection. Grizzlies should do it for PR reasons is nothing else. Then they suck enough to get Rubio and it's money in the bank. Once they get Rubio, they trade Mayo to LAL for Gasol and future Spaniard to be named later.
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant
And1: 5

Post#18 » by pardon_my_interruption » Tue Dec 2, 2008 3:18 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I like the Spanish connection. Grizzlies should do it for PR reasons is nothing else. Then they suck enough to get Rubio and it's money in the bank. Once they get Rubio, they trade Mayo to LAL for Gasol and future Spaniard to be named later.

Not sure if a team full of Spaniards would be considered good PR in Memphis. :lol:

Regarding the original trade, it's interesting but I don't think we can part with Gay for that package.

I'd consider like the latter suggested trade centered around Gay/Aldridge but doubt the Blazers would.
andalusian
Senior
And1: 305

Post#19 » by andalusian » Tue Dec 2, 2008 4:30 pm

The Blazers do not need Rudy Gay.

Scoring is not an issue for Portland, perimeter defense is probably where they still need to upgrade (but not in the SF position, given Batum's progress).
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Post#20 » by Cammo101 » Tue Dec 2, 2008 8:24 pm

As per usual, this trade is way too good for Portland. Portland fans have a million and one ways to get young superstar players without trading a starter.

Return to Trades and Transactions