Deng for Kevin Martin

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

TheGallopingSweetness
Pro Prospect
And1: 22

Deng for Kevin Martin 

Post#1 » by TheGallopingSweetness » Tue Dec 2, 2008 6:00 am

Deng
Hinrich
Nocioni
Thabo

for

Kevin Martin
Brad Miller
Kenny Thomas

Why for Bulls: They get the best player in the deal, Kevin Martin, who looks to be a good fit long term next to Rose. Beyond that, they trim some money for the 2010 FA Bonanza. I've always wanted to see Tyrus at SF. His lack of size often neutralizes his athleticism when defending opposing PFs.

Rotation now:
Rose (Hunter, Gordon)
Gordon (Martin, Hughes)
Martin (Tyrus, Hughes)
Gooden (Tyrus, Noah)
Miller (Noah, Gray)

On the books for 2010:
PG - Rose
SG - Martin
SF -
PF -
C - Noah

and space for 2 max offers.

Why for Sacramento: They potentially get 3 starters for 1 in this deal, when you consider that many want Miller gone to make way for room for Hawes. The Kings are well equiped to deal with a Martin departure having Salmons and Garcia to fill the void. Hinrich and Deng will bring some welcome size and defense at their positions, and Nocioni's shooting and notorious hustle should be the King's ying to their pogo-stick rookies' yang at PF. Thabo always reminded me of Doug Christie, so maybe donning his Kings' uni will finally bring out his inner Christie.

When Healthy* :
Hinrich (Beno)
Salmons (Garcia, Thabo)
Deng (Garcia, Nocioni, Thabo)
Nocioni (Thompson, Donta)
Hawes (Moore, Shelden)
Rugged Ron Ron
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Re: Deng for Kevin Martin 

Post#2 » by Rugged Ron Ron » Tue Dec 2, 2008 6:08 am

lol no way.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#3 » by DanTown8587 » Tue Dec 2, 2008 6:18 am

Ain't no chance the Kings jump at this, and for VERY good reason. They have no future cap, no really good player and is no way Nocioni better than Thompson or even Moore at the 4 out West. Its just insanity to think this is enough. And without adding Rose, I can't see a way this trade is close.

Though expand it to...

To Portland
Kirk Hinrich
Shelden Williams

Hinrich/Rodriguez/Blake
Roy/Fernandez
Batum/Outlaw/Webster
Aldridge/Frye
Oden/Pryzbilla

To Chicago
Brad Miller
Kenny Thomas

Rose/Hunter
Gordon/Thabo
Deng/Nocioni
Gooden/Thomas
Miller/Noah/Gray

To Sacramento
Raef LaFrentz
Larry Hughes
Ike Diogu

Udrih/Douby
Martin/Garcia/Hughes
Salmons/Garcia
Thompson/Diogu
Hawes/Moore
AKBlazerFan
Sixth Man
And1: 185

Post#4 » by AKBlazerFan » Tue Dec 2, 2008 6:29 am

So Bayless disappears from our roster? Thats 4 PG, and Blake Sergio have been playing fine.

Hinrich is owed a lot of money, and is not a big enough upgrade @ pg i don't think.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#5 » by KF10 » Tue Dec 2, 2008 6:36 am

Yeah, Kings decline pretty easily IMO. But a Rose/Martin combo would be very exciting to watch though.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#6 » by DanTown8587 » Tue Dec 2, 2008 6:36 am

AKBlazerFan wrote:So Bayless disappears from our roster? Thats 4 PG, and Blake Sergio have been playing fine.

Hinrich is owed a lot of money, and is not a big enough upgrade @ pg i don't think.

For a guy (Who possibly unfairly) gets DNP-CD a lot, Bayles sure is talked about a lot. Its not that he "disappears" but I didn't feel listing the fourth PG is mandatory.

Look, I think Hinrich makes them a title contender. I really do. You need a G who can lock in on Parker, Williams, Parker, Nash in the playoffs and the Blazers don't have that. Plus, the whole "get cap in 2009" doesn't make a ton of sense to me because of two things:
1) The Blazers have very little need and guys want to leave to be stars, not side-shows
2) The best players that fit their system aren't available until 2010.

I think it behooves the Blazers to trade for Hinrich, let Blake walk, keep Outlaw one more year and then make a serious run at LBJ in 2010 or even Bosh or Amare (in a dual S%T with Aldridge). Whether you agree or not, that's fine, but I seriously think the ability to defend at the PG spot is a must in the West and to be honest, there is no one on the Blazer's roster who can do so.
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#7 » by Agenda42 » Tue Dec 2, 2008 8:19 am

DanTown8587 wrote:
AKBlazerFan wrote:So Bayless disappears from our roster? Thats 4 PG, and Blake Sergio have been playing fine.

For a guy (Who possibly unfairly) gets DNP-CD a lot, Bayles sure is talked about a lot. Its not that he "disappears" but I didn't feel listing the fourth PG is mandatory.

Look, I think Hinrich makes them a title contender. I really do. You need a G who can lock in on Parker, Williams, Parker, Nash in the playoffs and the Blazers don't have that. Plus, the whole "get cap in 2009" doesn't make a ton of sense to me because of two things:
1) The Blazers have very little need and guys want to leave to be stars, not side-shows

I think it behooves the Blazers to trade for Hinrich, let Blake walk, keep Outlaw one more year and then make a serious run at LBJ in 2010 or even Bosh or Amare (in a dual S%T with Aldridge). Whether you agree or not, that's fine, but I seriously think the ability to defend at the PG spot is a must in the West and to be honest, there is no one on the Blazer's roster who can do so.

I'm not as sold on Hinrich as you are, but if the price is RLEC + Diogu, that's seems easy to pull the trigger on.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#8 » by gswhoops » Tue Dec 2, 2008 3:23 pm

At this point, Martin is worth a ton more then Deng. This is an easy pass for the Kings.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#9 » by JES12 » Tue Dec 2, 2008 3:29 pm

As for the OP, I think it is a lot closer if you remove Nocioni (no need with Deng, Salmons, Garcia and because of King's 2010) and Brad Miller

Martin-Thomas for Deng-Hinrich-Thabo

I still don't think that is good enough to pry Martin, but it is much, much closer.

Another variation is to replace Martin with Salmons and remove Thabo
Salmons-Miller-Thomas for Deng-Hinrich-Nocioni
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#10 » by Smills91 » Tue Dec 2, 2008 4:17 pm

With the exception of Rose, their isn't any other asset(s) that the Bulls roster could muster to pry away Kevin Martin. Since a Rose for Martin swap isn't happening anytime soon, Martin to Chicago is pretty unrealistic.
mikeselectro
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#11 » by mikeselectro » Tue Dec 2, 2008 6:48 pm

deng fell off about as hard as hesters return game.
i think it was a hamstring injury that bothered deng, so its possible that once thats all good, he'll return to form, but personally i never thought he was athletic enough, which stumps his ability to score in many cases, to be paid like a team's 1st/2nd option. it might be hard to trade off deng this season
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#12 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Dec 2, 2008 7:11 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:

you might want to take a look at what the Blazers, with blake as the point-man, have done defensively lately against Rose, Paul, & AI. Their defense against opposing PG's has markedly improved.

With that said, if Portland can pick up Hinrich for lafrentz, I'm all for it. The one problem I'd have with your proposal would be if the 4th year option on Shelden William's contract has been picked up yet. He needs to be an expiring in order for portland to agree to the deal.

The 2010 option is not viable for portland. Roy and Aldridge will have either new contract extensions or huge cap-holds. Their automatic cap-holds would be over 29 million. If they have new contracts, the combined salary is likely to be in the 25-26 million range. Add Oden and Pryzbilla and it's 41 million. Then add the 4 other small contracts plus placeholder cap-holds (12 roster spots) and portland's team salary would 52 million. 10-12 million in cap space is not enough to secure a max-contract level player.
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#13 » by Smills91 » Tue Dec 2, 2008 9:17 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
DanTown8587 wrote:

you might want to take a look at what the Blazers, with blake as the point-man, have done defensively lately against Rose, Paul, & AI. Their defense against opposing PG's has markedly improved.

With that said, if Portland can pick up Hinrich for lafrentz, I'm all for it. The one problem I'd have with your proposal would be if the 4th year option on Shelden William's contract has been picked up yet. He needs to be an expiring in order for portland to agree to the deal.

The 2010 option is not viable for portland. Roy and Aldridge will have either new contract extensions or huge cap-holds. Their automatic cap-holds would be over 29 million. If they have new contracts, the combined salary is likely to be in the 25-26 million range. Add Oden and Pryzbilla and it's 41 million. Then add the 4 other small contracts plus placeholder cap-holds (12 roster spots) and portland's team salary would 52 million. 10-12 million in cap space is not enough to secure a max-contract level player.

Shelden is an expiring, he'll be an RFA this off-season.
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#14 » by BR0D1E86 » Tue Dec 2, 2008 9:24 pm

I’m not sure that anything on the Bulls short of Rose could net Kevin Martin at this point, and Kevin Martin couldn’t net Rose so the whole concept is really a non-starter.

Assuming it could be done, it would essentially take a ‘sell the farm’ type of deal. If the Bulls are doing that then Rose, Kevin Martin and a frontcourt as bad or worse than the one they have now isn’t going anywhere.

As long as Gordon’s on the team, SG is not a primary concern. Big men are the concern; primarily big men that can play some physical post defense. Offense is a plus, but physical post defense is the single most glaring weakness on the team today.

Return to Trades and Transactions