Portland/Charlotte - Crash heads to Portland

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Portland/Charlotte - Crash heads to Portland 

Post#1 » by Vindicater » Fri Dec 5, 2008 2:59 am

Portland Trade:

Raef Lafrentz
Jarryd Bayliss
Lottery protected #1 pick in 2010

Charlotte Trade:

Gerald Wallace
Matt Carrol

Conclusions:

Portland: Wallace is the perfect fit or the Blazers at the 3 spot. His match of athletic ability, defense and slashing ability allow him to be the perfect complement to Aldrige/Roy on the offense end and a great defender on the wing to force people into Oden. Carrolls contract is very long, but he can shoot the three and help spread the floor. Losing Bayliss hurts as he is a super talented young guard, but their guard corps is strong and he is not getting playing time right now. The #1 pick is not really needed either with the amount of young talent on the club.

Charlotte: They want to move Wallace, why not move him along with a bad contract in Matt Carrols for the chance to grab a l;arge ending contract, a super talented young player in Bayliss and the chance to add another peice to the puzzle in a year. Bayliss will flourish in a system that allows him to play more minutes and alongside DJ Augustine gives them a backcourt fo the future.

Thoughts?
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
AZ BLAZER
Starter
And1: 0

Re: Portland/Charlotte - Crash heads to Portland 

Post#2 » by AZ BLAZER » Fri Dec 5, 2008 3:18 am

It is not bad value, but I do not want Portland to make a deal. I think Batum is the SF of the future, so Crash will just stunt his growth. Bayless is th PG of the future. I also do not like Wallace's concussion history. Again, not bad value, but just not the direction I would like Portland to go in.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#3 » by BigSlam » Fri Dec 5, 2008 3:36 am

No interest from Charlotte in Bayless at all. If there was we would have drafted him!
B B M F 'ers
SoHo
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#4 » by SoHo » Fri Dec 5, 2008 4:28 am

BigSlam wrote:No interest from Charlotte in Bayless at all. If there was we would have drafted him!

My thoughts exactly. Charlotte has no need for a point guard, let alone one of the scoring variety a la Bayless (and defensively an Augustin/Bayless backcourt would be eaten alive by big guards).

And that thought process works for Portland too as we'd probably rather send players not named Bayless. Just because he hasn't cracked the rotation doesn't mean we aren't high on him. We just feel that we have the luxury of easing him along and letting him really learn how to play the PG spot.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#5 » by Spykes » Fri Dec 5, 2008 4:30 am

I wouldn't say that Charlotte doesn't have a need for a PG, but ya, Bayless isn't the kind of PG they need.
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#6 » by Agenda42 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 6:29 am

SoHo wrote:defensively an Augustin/Bayless backcourt would be eaten alive by big guards

This is why this deal does not go down.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#7 » by Milkdud » Fri Dec 5, 2008 7:08 am

Thats not nearly enough to Wallace, not to mention this gives Portland an epic logjam at SF. The Blazers would at least have to throw in Outlaw or Webster.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#8 » by old rem » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:50 am

Milkdud wrote:Thats not nearly enough to Wallace, not to mention this gives Portland an epic logjam at SF. The Blazers would at least have to throw in Outlaw or Webster.

Yeah......logically Port probably sends Outlaw-Frye,or sends Pryzbilla-Outlaw,maybe gets back Hollins for some depth. The deal would need a bit more tweaking and in the Real GM context, Portland is a bit difficult in that they do overprice their second tier guys.

Batless is a bit problematic. He's certainly a shooter-scorer, but so far is probably not a PG....so to the Bobs he's relatively low value. The original deal somewhat fails to look at the Bobcat's needs. I can't believe the Bobcats want to "just get rid of" Wallace who's been a key guy. Their main need is some quality big men. Raef..a redundant G and a middle pick in the future.....a package that does not fit the target team.
CENSORED... No comment.
greendevilman
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#9 » by greendevilman » Fri Dec 5, 2008 12:17 pm

I'd be amazingly surprised if Pryzbilla went anywhere in the next few years. He's one of our most consistent players, has really been upping his game for us, will be the best backup center in the league and is signed to a reasonable contract. Unless some other team overvalues him or he's a part of a trade for a major star I just can't see us getting rid of someone with his value. We'd be much more likely to try to clear out our excess of SFs and PGs.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#10 » by JD45 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 5:01 pm

Wallace is a bad fit with Portland because they have Oden and LMA already in the paint. And this deal leaves them with 4 SFs.

I just don't see Wallace ever going to the Blazers. Maybe there is a 3 way deal that doesn't have Wallace going to the Blazers, but some of their players going to Charlotte.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#11 » by Village Idiot » Sat Dec 6, 2008 9:18 pm

I'm all for a Portland - Charlotte trade with Wallace coming to Portland but this is a bad fit for both teams.

Outlaw, Frye and Diogu for Wallace works better in my opinion.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#12 » by BigSlam » Sat Dec 6, 2008 9:37 pm

Spykes wrote:I wouldn't say that Charlotte doesn't have a need for a PG

????
B B M F 'ers
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#13 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Dec 6, 2008 10:00 pm

Village Idiot wrote:I'm all for a Portland - Charlotte trade with Wallace coming to Portland but this is a bad fit for both teams.

great...portland trades 3 PF's for another SF

the depth chart at PF would be Aldridge and the phantom
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#14 » by Village Idiot » Sat Dec 6, 2008 10:44 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:I'm all for a Portland - Charlotte trade with Wallace coming to Portland but this is a bad fit for both teams.

great...portland trades 3 PF's for another SF

the depth chart at PF would be Aldridge and the phantom

The depth chart at PF would probably see both Wallace and Batum getting minutes at PF. Maybe even Oden next to Przybilla.

Sometimes one trade solves everything for a team. Usually they don't. We would still have LaFrentz and Blake/Sergio with with to get a back-up PF.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#15 » by old rem » Sat Dec 6, 2008 11:43 pm

[quote="Village Idiot"]I'm all for a Portland - Charlotte trade with Wallace coming to Portland but this is a bad fit for both teams.

Outlaw, Frye and Diogu for Wallace works better in my opinion.[/quote

That makes some sense though I think Charlotte still sends Hollins too. Ike, if he can stay healthy could make this a nice move for the Bobs. They should try to pry a rd 2 out of the Blazers as they need a bit more depth and Portland doesn't.
CENSORED... No comment.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#16 » by JD45 » Sun Dec 7, 2008 7:03 am

Wallace is a bad fit with Oden and LMA. His outside shot is not good enough. He would be a great fit for the Mavs or other teams without low post scoring.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#17 » by JES12 » Sun Dec 7, 2008 7:31 am

And Dallas is not adding that much salary for that long unless it is a pure salary dump.

Return to Trades and Transactions