Cavs fans are going to love this one! Marion - with link!!!!

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Re: Cavs fans are going to love this one! Marion - with link!!!! 

Post#21 » by B Mac » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:55 pm

This doesnt make very much sense for the Cavs. Varejao has been one of the best players the Cavs have this season and is a perfect fit next to LeBron. There is no way I would trade him for Marion.

Its not that I wouldnt want Marion on the Cavs, because I would, but only for the right price, and to me, this is not the right price.
Kosar86
Assistant Coach
And1: 33

Post#22 » by Kosar86 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:03 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

WTF? If it aint broke don't fix it.

Seriousely, if Marion cant help the Heat how is he going to help the cavs?
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,267

Post#23 » by Hoops23 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:04 pm

Since Varejao is likely to opt out to his contract this summer, then the deal is like expirings for expirings.

Varejao is more of a center and doesn't provide a low post presence. He's value for the Heat is his length.

I'm not a fan of the trade for Miami.
Big Dee Chi-Born
Sixth Man
And1: 79

Post#24 » by Big Dee Chi-Born » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:08 pm

All that talk about how much value Marion has and this is the deal that Miami will get for our prized Marion! lol
FlightNumber23
Banned User
And1: 347

Post#25 » by FlightNumber23 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:14 pm

why does this not make sense for both teams?

Cavs: They get an all star player that could be the last piece to a championship team. We all know that Mike Brown is a sucker for a defensive player. and thats what Marion is. Imagine the defense with, Marion, Bron and Wallace. on top of solid Delonte and Z. Then we are durrently experimenting with running more and if we has Marion, then we could run and be versitile. How does he not fit? They also dump Wally and ANdys contracts.

MIA: They get 2 expiring contracts and will have oads of cap room. They will get a solid big that could put up 10+10 starting. and a scorer. Obviously Marion is no liking the situation because who wants to see their numbers go down and be okay with it.

Makes sense to me
Hydroponic3385
Rookie
And1: 138

Post#26 » by Hydroponic3385 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:16 pm

Big Dee Chi-Born wrote:All that talk about how much value Marion has and this is the deal that Miami will get for our prized Marion! lol

Value as an expiring? Definitely. Anything more than that? Ehh. Why would a team give up a ton for Marion when there's a good chance he doesn't re-sign and is just a rental for half a season? He's 30 years old, plays the same position as Lebron (naturally a 3, also a 4), and AV has been playing great this year and is a perfect compliment to Lebron. I think both teams say no. This "trade rumor" was likely pure BS orchestrated by Dan Fegan (agent of Marion AND Varejao).
Big Dee Chi-Born
Sixth Man
And1: 79

Post#27 » by Big Dee Chi-Born » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:19 pm

Hydroponic3385 wrote:
Big Dee Chi-Born wrote:All that talk about how much value Marion has and this is the deal that Miami will get for our prized Marion! lol

Value as an expiring? Definitely. Anything more than that? Ehh. Why would a team give up a ton for Marion when there's a good chance he doesn't re-sign and is just a rental for half a season? He's 30 years old, plays the same position as Lebron (naturally a 3, also a 4), and AV has been playing great this year and is a perfect compliment to Lebron. I think both teams say no. This "trade rumor" was likely pure BS orchestrated by Dan Fegan (agent of Marion AND Varejao).

Our fans value Marion way too much on this board. That's my only point. :wink:
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,444

Post#28 » by Stix » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:28 pm

Bad fit... Marion doesn't drink adult beverages after the game in his towel.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#29 » by mg » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:49 pm

It's 'funny' how all these players are just looked at as expirings. It's a sad state but Marion and Varejao are actually both good players but GMs only look at contract length when making deals these days. There are just a handful of players (ie LeBron, Bosh, Wade, Amare,etc) that all the teams want and just about everyone else is just a contract as GM's prepare for 2010. I'm sure this rumor was thrown out there by Dan Fegan who knows the market for his clients Marion and Varejao will be limited next summer.

As for the Heat, I don't think Marion is going to fetch alot on the open market. He only has real value to contending teams as most GM's only see him as an expiring. Given the Heat likely won't take back any contracts that run past 2010 I can't see them getting alot in return for Matrix if they decide to trade him.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#30 » by Warspite » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:40 pm

I was just thinking that the Cavs need a upgrade at SF to become a champion. NOT....
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
SportsBoy
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#31 » by SportsBoy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:51 pm

AV will NOT be included in this deal.

The Deal will be:

Wally, (13 Mil expiring)
Pavs (young swing player)
D Jackson (young Big)
and a 1st

Take it or Shake it!
Darkstar
Junior
And1: 97

Post#32 » by Darkstar » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:37 pm

SportsBoy wrote:AV will NOT be included in this deal.

The Deal will be:

Wally, (13 Mil expiring)
Pavs (young swing player)
D Jackson (young Big)
and a 1st

Take it or Shake it!

I'd like to laugh but I can't. It's hard to find anything funny about the fact that you are actually serious about that POS offer.

Wally, (one dimensional crap)
Pavs (WTF?)
D Jackson (crap and redundant crap at that.)
and a 1st (a late, late first just doesn't hold much value to many people.)
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,170

Post#33 » by Mr Swagtastic » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:41 pm

If I am the Heat I would at least ask for a Banks for West swap as well. I mean they get hammered in this deal Wally S is a terrible defender and nothing more then rich mans Kapono on a big expiring deal. The good thing is they do get a good defensive player in Andy V but I feel as the deal stands they get screwed.

I guess the LeBrons want a ring before he bolts in 2010 this would make them pretty good and set the Heat up in good contention for a high pick this year and for Boozer this offseason. I think Haseem would be a solid pickup or BJ Mullens gives them a good mix if they can convert Beasley to the SF full time they would be pretty good with Chalmers/Wade/Beasley/Boozer/Hasheem or Mullens that would be a good start to rebuild with and they would have cap space in 2010 as well to add somebody with Wade other then Bosh or LeBron or Amare.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
bcortell
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#34 » by bcortell » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:42 pm

This deal is BS. Sorry to ruin your fun.
rjgraca
Head Coach
And1: 43

Post#35 » by rjgraca » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:12 pm

bcortell wrote:This deal is BS. Sorry to ruin your fun.

+1

Minus superior speed, Marion not quite so special

Playing with Steve Nash in a perpetual open-court game plan led to a bonanza of layups and uncontested 3-point shots for Marion. Marion's speed was maximized on the run, plus his elevated hops and good hands made him the perfect target for Nash's slick lob passes. And with Marion's low-slung shot release, he certainly needs plenty of time and space to uncork his long-range bombs.

Conversely, Marion's flaws are maximized in half-court situations, i.e., his poor passing and inability to post-up.

With his 31st birthday on the not-so-distant horizon, Marion is also entering a critical stage in his career. Once the proud possessor of the quickest first and second steps in the league, Marion still ranks among the leaders in this category — but he has slowed down to a noticeable degree. And when guys like Marion start to lose their warp-speed edge, they either have to compensate by improving other parts of their game, or they simply become non-factors in an increasing number of plays in any given game. Marion remains a useful player, but despite his holdover superstar contract, he's no longer a dominant one. Indeed, in the foreseeable future he's destined to become a strictly part-time performer.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8918 ... so-special
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#36 » by TheOUTLAW » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:29 pm

And now people want the Cavs to toss in Delonte as well. I didn't like the deal for the Cavs at first and really don't like it in it's many incarnations.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
miamiballer
General Manager
And1: 1,519

Post#37 » by miamiballer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:03 pm

would this deal work?

miami trades: marion, blount, cook
miami gets: wally, varejao, snow
LeQuitterNotMVP
Analyst

Post#38 » by LeQuitterNotMVP » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:07 pm

In all honesty, the Wally + AV for Marion swap wouldn't be that bad IMO. Basically, the Cavs need to make a move w/ Wally's contract, and this wouldn't be a half bad move. Obviously, I'd prefer Mike Miller or a true big man, but IF we can't get one of those guys, this would be a decent backup option. Marion would give us more defensive and offensive flexibility, and our rebounding would still be plently fine. Overall, I like it IF (and that's a big if) there's nothing else on the table. I think this would round out our team pretty nicely. I don't think he and Lebron are going to be THAT redundant.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#39 » by TheOUTLAW » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:21 pm

LBJ4MVP23 wrote:In all honesty, the Wally + AV for Marion swap wouldn't be that bad IMO. Basically, the Cavs need to make a move w/ Wally's contract, and this wouldn't be a half bad move. Obviously, I'd prefer Mike Miller or a true big man, but IF we can't get one of those guys, this would be a decent backup option. Marion would give us more defensive and offensive flexibility, and our rebounding would still be plently fine. Overall, I like it IF (and that's a big if) there's nothing else on the table. I think this would round out our team pretty nicely. I don't think he and Lebron are going to be THAT redundant.

You logic is flawed here. Marion is expiring as well so while we'd be doing something with Wally's deal (which I can only guess is your entire agenda here) we'd just be trading him for another expiring deal.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
LeQuitterNotMVP
Analyst

Post#40 » by LeQuitterNotMVP » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:32 pm

^I realize Marion has an expiring contract as well, but he would give us more than Wally would, and maybe the Heat would cut him so he could return back to us. Also, I know we all love Andy, but it's not a given that he'll resign with us this offseason. Basically this trade is a swap of expiring deals, and we're trading a possible long-term player in Varejao for a win-now move.

Williams/Gibson
West/Wally
Lebron/Sasha
Marion/Hickson
Z/Wallace

Looks pretty good, and there's a lot of versatility with that lineup also.

Return to Trades and Transactions