Pre-Deadline Blockbuster: CHI-PHX-POR

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Re: Pre-Deadline Blockbuster: CHI-PHX-POR 

Post#21 » by Spykes » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:22 pm

Count me in as another pass for Portland. I'd also like to expound some on JES12's comments, because I like how he broke the deal up...

*Webster + Blake for Hinrich: This is an interesting idea. The Blazers get to keep their big trading chip in LaFrentz, but get a upgrade at PG. Now of course, I'm willing to play along here and assume that Hinrich will be back to his old self, but I really don't think that'll be obvious by the time this deal could be made. He's not only coming off a surgery that sidelined him for 3 months, but he's also coming off a really poor 2007-2008 season. But, again, assuming that Webster hasn't found a role on the team yet, this could be a good deal and doesn't substantially hurt the Blazers cap space.

*Gray + Nocioni for Pryzbilla: This is obviously where the deal falls apart for a number of reasons. The reason that has been discussed to death is the Blazers losing Przybilla. That's not an acceptable loss now, and it won't be near the trading deadline. At the rate Oden picks up fouls, Przybilla is a necessity in Portland and replacing him with a scrub like Gray would be devastating for the Blazers.

Now, the other reason that this really kills the deal for the Blazers is Nocioni. If Webster hasn't found his role on the team (as you yourself suggest), then why are the Blazers adding another high priced SF to their roster? If Webster hasn't found a role on the roster, that means the Blazers are happy and set with their SF rotation. Now that's not to say Nocioni couldn't carve out a niche for himself on the roster, but it's gonna take just as long (if not longer) than it was gonna take Webster, and he costs a substantial bit more. So the Blazers end up with the same roster problems they had in the beginning, but are now paying more money to have the problem. Just a bad bad bad idea.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,179

Post#22 » by coldfish » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:50 pm

If Pryz is the hold up, then keep him. Chicago can take out Nocioni and Gray and replace them with Simmons to make salaries hold up.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#23 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:56 pm

Agenda42 wrote:Joel Przybilla is currently the #1 player in the league in rebound rate (http://www.82games.com/0809/RESORT16.HTM). I don't know where Gray is, but he's not on that list.

There is a minimum of minutes played to be on that list. Gray is sparingly used in a system that doesn't maximize his strengths, but if you had bother to check Gray's own 82games page, you would see that Aaron's rebound rate is 33.7, good for top ten on the aforementioned list. No one's saying that Gray = Pryz. But he would be a more suitable replacement than for which Blazers fans are giving credit, and you have to give to get in deals. Nocioni is not worth nothing, either, and would fit your postseason need exceedingly well.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#24 » by Agenda42 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:05 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Agenda42 wrote:Joel Przybilla is currently the #1 player in the league in rebound rate (http://www.82games.com/0809/RESORT16.HTM). I don't know where Gray is, but he's not on that list.

There is a minimum of minutes played to be on that list. Gray is sparingly used in a system that doesn't maximize his strengths, but if you had bother to check Gray's own 82games page, you would see that Aaron's rebound rate is 33.7, good for top ten on the aforementioned list. No one's saying that Gray = Pryz. But he would be a more suitable replacement than for which Blazers fans are giving credit, and you have to give to get in deals. Nocioni is not worth nothing, either, and would fit your postseason need exceedingly well.

I meant my post to be more about Przybilla being great for the Blazers than to be a shot at Gray. The Blazers still need the backup C to be able to play big minutes because Oden's foul rate is atrocious against good opposition. I know Przybilla can be put in and not have problems, I don't know that about Gray.

I understand that you have to give talent to get talent, but I don't think this is a deal with equally sided talent.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#25 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:06 pm

coldfish wrote:If Pryz is the hold up, then keep him. Chicago can take out Nocioni and Gray and replace them with Simmons to make salaries hold up.

This is an alternate solution I had envisioned as well, with Gooden and STAT starting in Chicago.
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#26 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:01 am

Why did I write Joey like 40 times? I meant Joel.

Anyway, I know that Pryz is having a really efficient year, and with Oden's injury-prone reputation far from shaken, it's a great luxury that Portland can bring a C of Joel's caliber off the bench. I seriously believe that the Blazers would be better prepared for the playoffs after this trade, and it doesn't hurt them terribly in terms of capspace. But I respect the popular vote.
-- Steve Martin
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#27 » by Norm2953 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:03 am

With all of the foul troubles that are plaguing the Blazers with Oden, Portland would
have to be nuts to consider trading JP.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#28 » by old rem » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:32 am

Cliff Levingston wrote:Cliff Levingston thinks Portland fans will hate it.

BR0D1E86 wrote:I’d need to take a look at salary to see how feasible it would be to re-sign Gordon after this. If it could be done I’d probably go for it for the Bulls.

Who cares? Gordon will probably leave anyway and we get Rose's frontcourt complement.

No doubt. Of the teams aiming for 2010 capspace....Bosh..LeBron..whatever....Portland is the team that will have a solid young contender-and deep pockets. No way they muck it up to overpay 2 guys who don't really amount to an upgrade.

The Suns have done things that are dumb or strange. I doubt they trade Amare when this is the last run for a Shaq-Nash combo..then Amare becomes the key guy who they build on. Deng's $$ are way up...his points way down. Tyrus has hardly improved and the Bulls waited too long to trade him.

Great for the Bulls.
CENSORED... No comment.

Return to Trades and Transactions