NJ/MIA - Sean for Dorell

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

jvcn15
Sophomore
And1: 5

NJ/MIA - Sean for Dorell 

Post#1 » by jvcn15 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:23 pm

Not as sexy as the Marion/Carter deals, but simple enough…

Sean Williams/Ager (waived) for Dorell Wright

Why?

There are probably fans of each fanbase who don’t want to give up their respective players just yet due to the potential each player has shown and honestly some overrating of each. Both are “buy-low” type players – Sean’s in the doghouse and behind a glut of young bigs and Dorell has been injury prone. I think both could use a change of scenery and would serve a higher purpose and balance out the roster better with the opposite team. Sean, while not the full-time center the Heat need, can still help out down low with Joel for more interior defense and Dorell could provide another scoring option on the second unit for the Nets. This also means less minutes for Blount and Hassell (yay).

Contract wise, Dorell doesn't run past 2010 and Sean is still on his rookie deal and could have his option picked-up or not in 2010. So no implications on either team for their 2010 plans.

**If you don’t think this is a beneficial trade for one team or another, do you at least think the value is fair?
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Re: NJ/MIA - Sean for Dorell 

Post#2 » by Wade2k6 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:39 pm

I think the value is fair for both teams. I don't know if Miami does it because he's not a big body the Heat are looking, like you said not a full-time center. I think he'd have a hard time finding minutes in Miami with Joel, Magloire (who really doesn't play much), Haslem, Marion and Beasley.

The value is relitively fair though.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,181

Post#3 » by BBallFreak » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:52 pm

Do it. From my perspective, Miami should jump all over it...
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#4 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:13 pm

No from NJN. Sean is worth more than Dorell, bottom line; and just for the record, we're not interested in Daequan, either.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,267

Post#5 » by Hoops23 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:39 am

This is a good trade for Miami. Heat needs fron court help. Since Miami is slightly below the lux tax, it helps them to sign Zo or maybe Mutombo without exceeding the tax land.

But the Nets will not do this trade. Maybe the Heat should add a 2nd rounder and cash.
jvcn15
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#6 » by jvcn15 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:49 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:No from NJN. Sean is worth more than Dorell, bottom line; and just for the record, we're not interested in Daequan, either.

Fair enough. I'm an NJ fan too, but I'm just trying to figure out what Sean is currently worth (barring a package deal as sweetner). I just don't see him being able to get out of his funk in NJ if he continues to stay in Frank's doghouse and behind a group of bigs who have been playing better than him. It may just be me, but I kind of feel sorry for the guy and want him to get some actual burn somewhere else.

I remember when there were rumblings about a trade for Nate Robinson (where most NJ fans balked), then it was Marco (doubt they'd do it now), so honestly where do you think his value is at this point? Do you suppose it would go higher or even lower than it is now?

I guess my question is if you could trade Sean for any player straight up (salaries and team fit aside) who would it be?

Not bashing, honestly curious.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#7 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:06 pm

I have long sought a deal that would send Sean and Ager out, and return at least two of the following:

-- a young backup combo forward (pref. an athletic slashing plus-rebounder to complement Yi)
-- a young speed merchant PG (if he can't defend, though, he's worthless to us, as Frank would never use him)
-- a young full-sized C

In many cases, I would be open to absorbing salary by flipping Swift for a 2010 expiring, especially if all three of these needs are met. And truth be told, I rather send Boone than Sean. Sean's contract won't affect 2010, but Josh's cap hold will. Also, it will be easier to get our desired return value for Boone, IMO.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin

Return to Trades and Transactions