KotB: Orlando and Houston

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

KotB: Orlando and Houston 

Post#1 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:03 pm

Redick/Wilks/2nd for Head/Hayes

Houston cuts Wilks, to add ~$1.7mil more capspace in order to sign Mutombo. Orlando would have a backup PG/SG in the Dooling mold, plus a tough PF defender.

ROCKETS
Alston, McGrady, Battier, Scola, Ming
Brooks, Redick, Artest, Landry, Mutombo

MAGIC
Nelson, Pietrus, Turkoglu, Lewis, Howard
Head, Lee, Bogans, Hayes, Battie
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
killbuckner
RealGM
And1: 0

Re: KotB: Orlando and Houston 

Post#2 » by killbuckner » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:25 pm

Houston cuts Wilks, to add ~$1.7mil more capspace

No... Houston would still be far over the cap... Cutting a player with a non-guaranteed contract doesn't give them any capspace at all...
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#3 » by loserX » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:12 pm

killbuckner wrote:
Houston cuts Wilks, to add ~$1.7mil more capspace

No... Houston would still be far over the cap... Cutting a player with a non-guaranteed contract doesn't give them any capspace at all...

The issue isn't capspace, it's the luxury tax. Cutting Wilks' unguaranteed contract would save them money against the luxury tax.

That said, Redick actually costs more than Head and isn't really any better...so if I were Houston and wanted to save money, I'd just offer Hayes to the Magic for their Dooling TPE and be done with it.
GMF
Senior
And1: 9

Post#4 » by GMF » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:20 pm

I agree with loserX. Houston doesn't really get a player that helps them and if they're really looking to dump some contracts they could probably just trade Hayes or Head for a TPE. So no from me, creative idea though.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#5 » by Mr. E » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:11 am

I see what you're going for here on Houston's side, but I don't see Redick as an upgrade to Head, and his contract is actually a downgrade.

Unlike many Rockets fans, I'm actually ok with the idea of moving Hayes for salary relief, so I like where you're going in that direction. Maybe more Rockets fans will come around to that type of thinking if/when Deke re-signs with in the next few days.

Good effort, but I'm going to have to vote no on this one. I do think that you're going in a good direction from the Rockets POV, tho.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#6 » by ecuhus1981 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:50 pm

I can understand HOU fans not being thrilled about the Redick/Head exchange, but c'mon, you have to give in order to get sometimes. I may be wrong, but I think ORL fans would rather have a guy like Head, who can play some PG for them, than JJ. Don't misunderstand me, Hayes is cool, and I think he'd be good on the Magic. I just don't think that Chuck is sweetener enough for ORL to pull the trigger, especially when they themselves are also staring that the luxury tax.

"You can't also get what you want, but if you try, sometimes, you just might find you get what you need."

HOU gets what they need to sign Mutombo, plus a full-sized shooter who could use a change of scenery and a different coach to maximize his talents. I'd love to hear from ORL fans, to see if they feel that the JJ-Luther exchange is as crucial as I believe it would be to them.

P.S. I agree that this deal could be executed with the Dooling TE, and I was playing with that idea instead of using Wilks.
-- Steve Martin
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,319

Post#7 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:05 pm

I'm going to vote no here. I like it for Orlando, but I just don't see the Rockets doing this. Reddick is worthless, hes a bust, the 2nd doesn't do much, and Wilks? I don't see it happening.
ORLd12
Senior
And1: 0

Post#8 » by ORLd12 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:53 am

If this has no implications on the luxury tax, then the Magic have to jump on this.
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 333

Post#9 » by trebone » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:12 pm

our tpe for hayes will be great
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#10 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:26 pm

OK, so I was wrong. ORL fans seem to not care about Redick-for-Head, so Hayes for the TPE should be the trade. I'll make a new KotB thread for it.
-- Steve Martin
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 333

Post#11 » by trebone » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:40 pm

agreed on the hayes tpe deal

Return to Trades and Transactions