POR/CHA/NY

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

snozard
Sophomore
And1: 0

POR/CHA/NY 

Post#1 » by snozard » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:15 am

Portland In: Gerald Wallace, Raymond Felton
Portland Out: Raef LaFrentz, Sergio Rodriguez, Rudy Fernandez

Charlotte In: Raef LaFrentz, David Lee
Charlotte Out: Gerald Wallace, Raymond Felton

New York In: Sergio Rodriguez, Rudy Fernandez
New York Out: David Lee

Why for Portland: Upgrade at PG and get the SF that they desire.
Why for Charlotte: Get a big they covet, and some capspace in LaFrentz.
Why for New York: Sergio and Rudy would fit very well in D'Antoni's system.
colebrisco
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: POR/CHA/NY 

Post#2 » by colebrisco » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:30 am

snozard wrote:Portland In: Gerald Wallace, Raymond Felton
Portland Out: Raef LaFrentz, Sergio Rodriguez, Rudy Fernandez

Charlotte In: Raef LaFrentz, David Lee
Charlotte Out: Gerald Wallace, Raymond Felton

New York In: Sergio Rodriguez, Rudy Fernandez
New York Out: David Lee

Why for Portland: Upgrade at PG and get the SF that they desire.
Why for Charlotte: Get a big they covet, and some capspace in LaFrentz.
Why for New York: Sergio and Rudy would fit very well in D'Antoni's system.

i think this is a good deal for ny, cha. but a poor deal for portland i dont think felton is a upgrade over blake blakes not as athletic but he's a better shooter and makes better decisions with the ball. and neither felton or wallace is that good of a shooter . they need people who can make shoots when either roy drives and kicks or oden gets doubled in the post.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#3 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:38 am

Welcome, snozard.

Portland makes out the best by far in terms of raw value, but even with this trade, the Blazers aren't shopping Rudy. They bent over backwards to get him over here, and want to see him flourish with them.

For the record, I think that Rudy is worth more than Lee, due to David's impending extension. Fernandez has 3 more years of ridiculously cheap rookie-scale pay, and Lee may be courting 8-figure offers this summer.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
CB-Blazer
Head Coach
And1: 545

Post#4 » by CB-Blazer » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:44 am

This is pretty good value all around and it would be damn fun to see Sergio and Rudy playing in a Dantoni system but.....

Gerald Wallace is not as great of a fit at SF as everyone seems to think. While having great defense he plays the drive/slasher role that is well Brandon Roys. The reason you see so many Prince/Battier threads from Portland fans is because they are a perfect fit for what Portland needs from the 3 and that is good 3 point shooting and great defense. Like the rest of Portlands SF's, Wallace (although an all around better player) only adds 1 of the 2 qualities that is a must for the Blazers if they are upgrading.

Raymond Felton is a idea I've toyed around with a few times but almost always ended up thinking no. His defense is better than any PG on the team, but that is really the only area that he is better at than our current starting PG. He is also on the last year of his contract I believe...............

I don't know Bobcat fans are going to react to trading away Crash and Felton and getting back a 12 mil expiring and a part year rental of David Lee. Even if Lee is resigned before the trade, I don't imagine Lee will want to resign to be a back-up in Charlotte and if he agrees he will probally want more money than the Bobcats stingy front office will be willing to give a back up PF.

New York gets damn good value for Lee but not enough to say that any team in the trade is getting to dang good of a deal. MSG and any NBA fan would enjoy watching the Spanish Armada playing for Dantoni!
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#5 » by Agenda42 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:58 am

I would like to get Wallace on the Blazer roster, but there's no way I'm paying this much for him.

I have very little interest in Felton. He's in his fourth season and he still can't shoot. I'm not thrilled by his A/T ratio, either.

I think people underrate Fernandez's value. He's signed to a wonderful, wonderful contract.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,936

Post#6 » by Effigy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:09 am

Yeah, no way the Blazers consider this, IMO. Wallace and Felton just are not as attractive as they once were. We're not moving Rudy for them. I know Knick fans want to get value for David Lee but it just ain't happening. He's a free agent after this year and the Knicks can't match. The Knicks are going to lose him for nothing or settle for a very mediocre deal (like the proposed Bell and Diop deal)
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#7 » by old rem » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:10 am

Pretty awful for the Bobs as they risk ending up with zip after wasting $ on LaFrentz. Wanna be a perpetual sub 500 team? No?
CENSORED... No comment.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,156

Post#8 » by Rich4114 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:13 am

LOL - wait a second, no way the BLAZERS consider this??? hahahahaha. Portland gets the best out of this deal. For what it's worth, Bobcats would never consider this....
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#9 » by Spykes » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:28 am

I think ecuhus1981 summed up Portland's POV perfectly. Just pure value, Portland does make out great. But they simply aren't interested in trading Rudy right now.

CB also brought out great points about neither Wallace or Felton being particularly great fits for Portland. Wallace could be solid imo, considering the Blazers need for better perimeter defense. But Felton is just terrible imo. He's an awful fit for Portland and I cringe every time I see trade proposals with him ending up in PDX.

Return to Trades and Transactions