Bulls / Mavs / Warriors: Deadline-Blockbuster

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Ray Allen Iverson
Starter
And1: 0

Bulls / Mavs / Warriors: Deadline-Blockbuster 

Post#1 » by Ray Allen Iverson » Sun Jan 4, 2009 12:52 pm

Successful Trade Scenario. Trade ID #4903975

The Chicago Bulls trade:

Andres Nocioni
Kirk Hinrich
Luol Deng

The Chicago Bulls receive:

James Singleton
Jerry Stackhouse
Jason Kidd (cut, headed back to Dallas)
3m$ cash from Dallas (for buying out Kidd)

Why this might work for the Chicago Bulls: They dump their three biggest contracts in order to re-build a team with Derrick Rose as cornerstone. How? In 2009, the Bulls will be looking at maximum capspace (Carlos Boozer and Paul Milsap become free agents).

1) Derrick Rose - Lindsay Hunter - xxx
2) Ben Gordon - Larry Hughes - xxx
3) Thabo Sefolosha - Jerry Stackhouse - James Singleton
4) Tyrus Thomas - Drew Gooden - Cedric Simmons
5) Aaron Gray - Joakim Noah - Michael Ruffin

The Dallas Mavericks trade:

Jason Kidd
James Singleton
Jerry Stackhouse
3m$ cash

The Dallas Mavericks receive:

Luol Deng
Kirk Hinrich
Corey Maggette

Why this might work for the Dallas Mavericks: Kidd gets thirty days of rest in order to be fit for the playoffs. In the meantime, Barea and Terry share the playmaking duties in order integrate the new guys into their system.

1) Jason Kidd (30 days) - Kirk Hinrich - Jose Barea
2) Josh Howard - Jason Terry - Gerald Green
3) Luol Deng - Corey Maggette - Antoine Wright
4) Dirk Nowitzki - Brandon Bass - Devean George
5) Erick Dampier - DeSagana Diop - xxx

The Golden State Warriors trade:

Corey Maggette

The Golden State Warriors receive:

Andres Nocioni

Why this might work for the Golden State Warriors: Andres Nocioni is a player, who should blossom in Nellie's up-tempo offense. Unlike Maggette, he likes to play power forward, and moreover, he's a team-player, whose faible for the three-point shot should match their offensive philosophy.

1) Marco Belinelli - Marcus Williams - CJ Watson
2) Jamal Crawford - Anthony Morrow - (Monta Ellis / DeMarcus Nelson)
3) Stephen Jackson - Kelenna Azubuike - Anthony Randolph
4) Andres Nocioni - Brandan Wright - Rob Kurz
5) Andris Biedrins - Ronny Turiaf - xxx

CHI bias:

Leto wrote:It doesn't matter what the Tornto front office wants. We don't need to take Hedo to get both [James and Bosh]

NYK bias:

drj wrote:I think Rubio isn't worth very much more than Jordan Hill.
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Re: Bulls / Mavs / Warriors: Deadline-Blockbuster 

Post#2 » by Leto » Sun Jan 4, 2009 1:25 pm

Except for Deng is a 23 year old SF who is part of "rebuilding around Rose" and you just traded away some of your best assets for crap. So, its a no from Chicago.
Teddy KGB
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Teddy KGB » Sun Jan 4, 2009 1:26 pm

lolwut cut Kidd.. really doubt Reinsdorf would take a 20 mill loss for absolutely no reason.
Formerly ss_maverick, JHos Hydro
Ray Allen Iverson
Starter

Post#4 » by Ray Allen Iverson » Sun Jan 4, 2009 1:30 pm

JHos Hydro wrote:lolwut cut Kidd.. really doubt Reinsdorf would take a 20 mill loss for absolutely no reason.

Well, 50% of the season would have already passed. I assume, that this would reduce the costs to 10m$. Include 3m$ from Dallas and the paycut would take 13m$ less than at the beginning of the season.

CHI bias:

Leto wrote:It doesn't matter what the Tornto front office wants. We don't need to take Hedo to get both [James and Bosh]

NYK bias:

Teddy KGB
General Manager

Post#5 » by Teddy KGB » Sun Jan 4, 2009 1:33 pm

Yah but if that's the case then it's ridiculously expensive for Dallas, especially as they'd essentially be paying double for Deng and Hinrich and Maggz since we'd be entrenched in the lux tax. Cap hell over a very long period is never a good idea.
Ray Allen Iverson
Starter

Post#6 » by Ray Allen Iverson » Sun Jan 4, 2009 1:46 pm

JHos Hydro wrote:Yah but if that's the case then it's ridiculously expensive for Dallas, especially as they'd essentially be paying double for Deng and Hinrich and Maggz since we'd be entrenched in the lux tax. Cap hell over a very long period is never a good idea.

Salaries aside, what would Dallas be missing to rise to contention status?

CHI bias:

NYK bias:

gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#7 » by gswhoops » Sun Jan 4, 2009 3:08 pm

This doesn't really solve anything for the Warriors, I'd rather send Maggz to Toronto for crap and a pick.
Teddy KGB
General Manager

Post#8 » by Teddy KGB » Sun Jan 4, 2009 3:15 pm

Ray Allen Iverson wrote:
JHos Hydro wrote:Yah but if that's the case then it's ridiculously expensive for Dallas, especially as they'd essentially be paying double for Deng and Hinrich and Maggz since we'd be entrenched in the lux tax. Cap hell over a very long period is never a good idea.

Well, nothing. We'd be a contender. But I think that even Cuban wouldn't take on salary like that
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#9 » by turk3d » Sun Jan 4, 2009 3:49 pm

I'd have to do a Noc for Maggette straight up at this point I'm afraid.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
N.O.R.E.
RealGM
And1: 240

Post#10 » by N.O.R.E. » Mon Jan 5, 2009 12:19 am

Bad for the Bulls. Why trade 3 of your "best" players when their value is at rock bottom?
I can understand the desire to get under the cap, but there are better ways of achieving this IMHO and it would be smarter to do it in seperate deals.
I think most Sixers fans are open to a deal centred around Hinrich and Dre, perhaps with a 3rd team needing a PG (Portland, GS, Houston, Miami, Milwaukee, NJ, etc) receiving Dre and the Bulls receiving a 2010 expiring and some 2nd/3rd tier prospect.
Nocioni may attract interest from contending teams and could easily fetch a short-term deal, especially if the Bulls are willing to throw in cash, a pick or Thabo/Gray.
Deng would be attractive to teams that struggle to attract quality FAs, such as Minnesota (for Mike Miller and something else, or McCants, Telfair, Collins, Cardinal), Toronto (Bargnani, AP, Moon or JO+?), Sacramento (J.Thompson+KT+Udrih or B.Miller+Salmons, etc).
He could even appeal to teams on the cusp of greatness:
Portland (Raef+Batum+Sergio or Outlaw, Webster, Blake)

While a lot of those deals are off all I'm trying to point out is the Bulls have plenty of options with regards to attaining cap space in 2010, it's just a matter of choosing a friggin direction and sticking with it.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#11 » by FNQ » Mon Jan 5, 2009 12:22 am

What does Noc's contract look like? How many years?
turk3d
RealGM

Post#12 » by turk3d » Mon Jan 5, 2009 12:27 am

It looks like it's 4 with a team option for the 5th (I thought it was 3, oops, now I'm not so sure).
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#13 » by FNQ » Mon Jan 5, 2009 12:40 am

Its a tough one... his contract is a little long, but ideally we could shave a year off it if need be via trade. He fits Don Nelson's style, which could be a + or a - ... the - of course being less Randolph/Wright and quite possibly their tickets out of town...
turk3d
RealGM

Post#14 » by turk3d » Mon Jan 5, 2009 1:46 am

510Reggae wrote:Its a tough one... his contract is a little long, but ideally we could shave a year off it if need be via trade. He fits Don Nelson's style, which could be a + or a - ... the - of course being less Randolph/Wright and quite possibly their tickets out of town...

Exactly, that's why I'd be hesitant to do it. But Noc would be a better fit than Mags for us, can't drive, but has a better outside shot and is a good defender and rebounder and as you said, would sure make the fat one very happy. Another reason not to do it. :)
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#15 » by JES12 » Mon Jan 5, 2009 1:50 am

Dallas declines for several reasons:

1) Dallas loses Bird rights on Kidd. We want to be competative next year too since NJ has our 2010 pick and then rebuild or retool in summer 2010. I, along with most mave fans, hope Kidd is signed to a lucrative 1 year deal to stay with us and then let him go to the team he wants in 2010 as Terry will be our main PG in 2010. Also, if Kidd is cut, I don't see how he doesn't end up in LA with Fisher backing him up.

2) Maggette, Hinrich and Deng are all on long contracts that are either overpaid or on the high end of what they are worth. This is not the type of trade that allows to rebuild finacially for free agents that you really want (as oppposed to "settle for") or with a terrible enough record to get high lotto picks.

3) Even if Kidd does somehow return to the Mavs, he is 36 and probably not the PG to be taking on 3 long term contracts with for a "re-tool".

4) I want to steer clear of Maggette at all costs.

5) We take on all this salary and don't even get better today, 30 days from now, or in 4 years. Hinrich's playing time would be limited because of Terry and Deng's & Maggette's playing time will be limited because of Howard. Only one of those three will crack a playoff rotation and it won't be the Maggette and probably not Hinrich with Kidd-Terry-Barea already on the team.
JES12
RealGM

Post#16 » by JES12 » Mon Jan 5, 2009 2:06 am

JHos Hydro wrote:
Ray Allen Iverson wrote:

Well, nothing. We'd be a contender. But I think that even Cuban wouldn't take on salary like that
I think Cuban would definatly do that money for bonified all-stars. But He cannot afford to have more than 1 of Diop, Maggette, Deng, Hinrich. Even if we cut the Warriors out (which would be much, much better) we would still decline this for all the same reasons except #4.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#17 » by old rem » Mon Jan 5, 2009 7:00 am

gswhoops wrote:This doesn't really solve anything for the Warriors, I'd rather send Maggz to Toronto for crap and a pick.

That.....and GSW has to be aware of how such deals impact other West teams...who GSW's goal is to pass. This.....gives Dallas pretty much ALL the goodies. GSW saves a bit of $ but gets an overpriced tweener who's less of a scorer than Maggette and not enough of a rebounder,post guy for PF.

Meanwhile the Mavs get to hang onto Kidd ? Subsidized by the Bulls.....add 3 guys who've been established NBA Starters for quite awhile...including an infusion of youth. Well.....GSW WANTS the Mavs to get OLD and the sooner the better. If SA and the Suns get old too...even better. As this costs Dallas just about NOTHING....it's GSW downgrading a bit while the Mavs get a big lasting (but expensive) boost. If the Bulls are that eager to deal Deng...GSW would rather get him instead of Noc.
CENSORED... No comment.
Teddy KGB
General Manager

Post#18 » by Teddy KGB » Mon Jan 5, 2009 9:21 am

"This.....gives Dallas pretty much ALL the goodies"

We get Maggette/Hinrich/Deng who are like hoes contaminated with AIDS. We'd have to pay them a lot and we wouldn't get much out of them.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#19 » by catalyst » Mon Jan 5, 2009 2:55 pm

JHos Hydro wrote:"This.....gives Dallas pretty much ALL the goodies"

We get Maggette/Hinrich/Deng who are like hoes contaminated with AIDS. We'd have to pay them a lot and we wouldn't get much out of them.

Yikes! a harsh analogy
JES12
RealGM

Post#20 » by JES12 » Mon Jan 5, 2009 5:35 pm

Pretty accurate though....especially if homer Warrior fans thinks Dallas gets all the goodies. Or, even for one second, thinks this makes us better.

Like I said in the previous post, I still would not do it, but this trade is hands down better leaving the Warriors out. I would absolutely love for them to keep Maggette.

Seriously, I would much rather have Lebron, Wade, Amare, Bosh, etc. than Maggette, Hinrich and Deng. All of which kills any hope in the next half decade of being a good team.

Return to Trades and Transactions