Baron Davis' Market Value

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Baron Davis' Market Value 

Post#1 » by loflin3hree5ive » Wed Jan 7, 2009 6:42 am

What is it? Would you team want him? What do you think his market value is? Propose some trades here. Here's a crazy idea of mine to start things off:

Lakers Get:
Baron Davis
Jason Hart

Clippers Get:
Lamar Odom
Jordan Farmar

Clippers would try to re-sign Odom and pair Farmar with Gordon for form a dynamic young backcourt.
Lakers go for it all and trade for Baron Davis.

Is Davis' market value even this high? Leave some feedback.
Bac2Basics
RealGM
And1: 3
Location: "Are you like a crazy person? I'm quite sure they will say so."

Re: Baron Davis' Market Value 

Post#2 » by Bac2Basics » Wed Jan 7, 2009 8:35 am

Baron's value is a harder one to judge because while he's talented on the court, he's spent a significant amount of time on the sidelines due to injury.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.
~ Herman Melville
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#3 » by JES12 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 9:07 am

It's also hard to judge because he is very streaky and system dependant (I loved playing against him as a Hornet and a Clipper, but not so much as a Warrior).
Crimson King
Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#4 » by Crimson King » Wed Jan 7, 2009 10:19 am

I doubt the Lakers would take his salary, and he isn't the typical triangle PG.

This idea has already been discussed, and I think it makes some sense for both teams: Baron Davis for Beno Udrih and John Salmons.
Teddy KGB
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Teddy KGB » Wed Jan 7, 2009 11:57 am

Maybe Rafer Alston and Shane Battier?

Houston Rockets

Incoming Players

Baron Davis
Salary: $11,250,000 Years Remaining: 5
PTS: 17.3 REB: 3.4 AST: 8.0 PER: 15.99

Outgoing Players: Shane Battier, Rafer Alston

Los Angeles Clippers

Incoming Players

Shane Battier
Salary: $6,448,900 Years Remaining: 3
PTS: 7.6 REB: 3.9 AST: 2.1 PER: 10.07

Rafer Alston
Salary: $4,900,000 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 11.3 REB: 3.0 AST: 4.9 PER: 12.29

Outgoing Players: Baron Davis

Y Ming/C Landry
L Scola/C Hayes
R Artest/L Head
T McGrady/V Wafer [ok I admit I can't remember who the swingman backups for the Rockets are]
B Davis/A Brooks

C Kaman/M Camby
Z Randolph/M Camby
A Thornton/S Battier
E Gordon/S Battier
R Alston/J Hart
Formerly ss_maverick, JHos Hydro
killbuckner
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#6 » by killbuckner » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:41 pm

No one else thought he was worth the contract he got and he has underperformed that contract. I'd be surprised if the Clippers could get an expiring contract for him. They signed him to a terrible deal- the only question is whether they realize it yet.
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#7 » by VintaGe36 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:52 pm

^I have no doubts LAC could get expirings for Baron.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#8 » by killbuckner » Wed Jan 7, 2009 2:20 pm

No one else was willing to give Baron that extra year on a deal. Why do you think that teams would be wiling to do so now after he hasn't lived up to his contract? Fans are always perplexed about how good players can have negative trade value. Given Baron's injury history if I am the clippers with no chance to make the playoffs then I am doing anything I can go get an expiring contract for him.

Put it this way- if I am the Hawks there is no way in hell that I would give up bibby for Baron. Not even close. Portland no way would I give up Raef. I just don't see why any team would voluntarily take on that ridiculous contract without sending back some sort of salary baggage in return.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#9 » by St.Nick » Wed Jan 7, 2009 2:40 pm

On the other hand, kill bill, if a GM should view the last 35 games as an aberration then they would pounce to try to add Baron Davis for cheaper than what they'd get normally.

If some GM at sometime over the past two seasons wanted to get Baron for an expiring contract he would've been shot down with a vengeance. I seriously doubt that his value has dropped that much, lest his contract be seen as some sort of horrific thing.

I think most GM's know that he is a 18-20ppg scorer and an exciting play maker and team leader, when in the right situation. He could still draw a pretty penny in a trade.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#10 » by killbuckner » Wed Jan 7, 2009 2:46 pm

StNick- he was on a short contract before and he had more trade value because of it. When he was a FA he didn't have anyone else willing to give him a 5 year guaranteed contract. The Warriors certainly weren't willing and there wasn't anyone else out there offering it. What has he done this season to to make anyone think that paying him 15 million dollars when he is 34 would be a good idea? Fans don't tend to care about these thigns because its not their money- in the real world I don't think the Clippers could find anyone willing to take on that contract with being given incentive to do so.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#11 » by St.Nick » Wed Jan 7, 2009 3:22 pm

How much would team's have been willing to give Baron, though? Instead of 5 years, $65M perhaps it would have been 4 years, $52M. Does that one year make Baron's value drop so precipitously so that he requires bad contracts on sub-standard players to come back in return? I think not.

Someone put up a Rafer Alson/Shane Battier idea. That one could be considered most realistic, IMO.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#12 » by old rem » Wed Jan 7, 2009 3:30 pm

killbuckner wrote:StNick- he was on a short contract before and he had more trade value because of it. When he was a FA he didn't have anyone else willing to give him a 5 year guaranteed contract. The Warriors certainly weren't willing and there wasn't anyone else out there offering it. What has he done this season to to make anyone think that paying him 15 million dollars when he is 34 would be a good idea? Fans don't tend to care about these thigns because its not their money- in the real world I don't think the Clippers could find anyone willing to take on that contract with being given incentive to do so.

Baron was a FA so briefly that the Warriors were somewhat caught by surprise. He wanted to play back home,was in a summer project to reduce LA gang violence. He also expected to play with Brand,and probably had not thought about the Clips slower pace not being his forte.

Not many teams had the option to offer any FA anything past MLE. The Sixers and Griz had some cap space. GSW and the Clips only had space from Brand and Baron opting out....and neither of those moves were a sure thing before they happened. the idea of a S+T had come up but the Warriors did not seem sold on any options there.

Houston seems the contender most in need at pg
CENSORED... No comment.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#13 » by killbuckner » Wed Jan 7, 2009 3:45 pm

yes- I do think the idea of paying Baron Davis 15 million dollars when he is 34 means that the Clippers would have to take salary baggage back in order to trade him. I think Baron has one of the worst contracts in the league- its just that many people here just haven't realized it yet.
chanchan85
Senior

Post#14 » by chanchan85 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 3:48 pm

JO + Will Solomon + 2010 1st for Baron Davis + Marcus Camby(or Chris Kaman)

Edit: not saying clippers would do it..i know i wouldnt if i were the clippers. But i doubt Toronto would offer much more than that.
dilbert719
Sixth Man
And1: 128

Post#15 » by dilbert719 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:09 pm

How about something revolving around Davis for Andre Miller? Send Miller back to the West Coast (Yes, I know he wasn't the world's most popular Clipper, but he's an expiring, which I seem to hear some call for out there), and pair Baron with Brand. That may not be as popular with Davis, given that he thought it was going to happen in LA, but it's worth considering.

My big concern for the Sixers is the ZERO flexibility we'd have with Brand, Davis, Iguodala, and Dalembert all locked into fairly long, uncomfortable deals. I suppose it'd be too greedy to try and fashion a Davis & Camby for Miller, Dalembert, and reasonable sweetener (Jason Smith, a top-10 protected 1st, or something of that nature) deal?
Bryan Colangelo Elton Brand: The Cause of, and Solution to, All of Life's Problems

Daryl Morey: The Solution to All of Life's Problems
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#16 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:49 pm

I'm looking up and down the list of the other 29 teams in the NBA, and I cannot find a single taker.

I think that JHos Hydro's Houston trade looks good on paper, but the Rockets are already testing T-Mac's market value due to health concerns. I don't think they'd bring in another G with the same efficiency issues that stem from physical deterioration. Maybe in '99, but not now. Not to mention, HOU fans will tell you how horribly underrated that Rafer and Shane are, that it's a bad fit, and that they don't want to make moves that will affect their 2010 plan (everyone's got one nowadays).
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Post#17 » by cucad8 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 5:06 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:they don't want to make moves that will affect their 2010 plan (everyone's got one nowadays).

If that isn't just the biggest understatement. Even I have a 2010 plan. I was going to buy a new house, but didn't want to risk any long term bills going past 2010, just in case.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#18 » by FNQ » Wed Jan 7, 2009 5:16 pm

killbuckner wrote:yes- I do think the idea of paying Baron Davis 15 million dollars when he is 34 means that the Clippers would have to take salary baggage back in order to trade him. I think Baron has one of the worst contracts in the league- its just that many people here just haven't realized it yet.

:nod: This guy is sharp... This has Stevie Franchise written all over it..

Baron's never had basketball desire... imagine what happens when his body starts to really crap out on him... LAC needs to pawn him off to whoever they can next time he gets hot around the deadline.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#19 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jan 7, 2009 5:54 pm

Baron's contract is ridiculous and almost no team will be willing to take that on for a player who is shooting 36% on FG's and 29% on 3pt. Add to that the fact that he won't stop chucking the ball. Then add the fact that this year's numbers aren't remarkably worse then his career number. In other words, he's a lousy shooter who won't stop shooting.

In the 5 seasons prior to last, he missed an average of 31 games a year. He's a major injury risk.

It sure seems like the Hornets hated him when he 'left' and Golden State thought about the same of him.

in other words, another way to phrase the question would be: what's the market value for an injury-prone, me-first, soon-to-be 30year old, undisciplined, prolific-chucking-poor-shooting PG with a 5 year, 65 million dollar contract in an age of fiscal restraint and economic worries?

not much
Oomph
Veteran

Post#20 » by Oomph » Wed Jan 7, 2009 6:25 pm

Why not swapping Marbury for Davis?

This would give the Clippers a big expiring contract to use on another free agent next year. And the Knicks get a quality PG who fits their system perfectly.

To match salaries Camby and Lee are also included, giving the Knicks more incentive to take on the extra salaries.

Return to Trades and Transactions