PHX/PHI Amare to Philly

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HotSpurs21
Analyst
And1: 0

PHX/PHI Amare to Philly 

Post#1 » by HotSpurs21 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:03 am

Amare Stoudemire
for
Elton Brand, Marreese Speights, 2009 lotto protected 1st

Brand might be a better fit alongside Shaq? Plus they get a promising young big in Speights and a 1st

Shaq/Speights/Lopez
Brand/Speights
Barnes/Hill/Amundson
JRich/Barnes
Nash/Barbosa

Stoudemire is a perfect fit for the running Sixers.

Dalembert/Ratliff
Stoudemire/Evans
Young/AI2
AI2/Green
Miller/Williams
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Re: PHX/PHI Amare to Philly 

Post#2 » by HotSpurs21 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:46 am

Too steep of a price for Philly to pay for a perfect PF for them?

Are the Suns getting a good package in return for Amare if they feel they have to trade him?
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#3 » by The Guilty Party » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:05 am

Wow.... this is tough but as a Sixer fan, I would probably do it because Amare fits in with the uptempo run and gun style. That said, I think Speights is going to be a stud and hate parting with him in this trade.
nba_addict
Sixth Man
And1: 7

Post#4 » by nba_addict » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:29 am

A deal swapping amare for brand (PHX needs more obviously) makes sense for both teams assuming PHX goes all the way half-court and Philly decides going run and gun will be better for them.

Few loopholes on this deal are as follows:
(1) The best way to utilize Amare's strength is that the team should have superb 3pt shooting to space the floor. Philly still dont have that in this deal.
(2) Undoubtedly, Shaq and Brand will fit in defensively. But will they complement each other offensively? Both Shaq and Brand go-to-moves are nearly identical. Isolate them in left low post and they will push their defender going to the basket and incase of Brand plus running hook shots going to right maybe. Both of these players have huge left-right shooting splits, meaning both are more comfortable coming from the left side. Brand is capable of shooting 15 footers but that is not his game. Coaching may do wonders but doubt it with Porter.
nba_addict
Sixth Man
And1: 7

Post#5 » by nba_addict » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:32 am

The lotto protection is irrelevant should I say. Amare will be a beast in the East with that line-up, imho (save the outside shooting concern).
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,749

Post#6 » by gswhoops » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:38 am

I would say this is too good for Phoenix, they should put Lopez in the deal or allow Philly to keep the pick IMO.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,942

Post#7 » by Effigy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:49 am

I don't think it's too good for Phoenix at all. They get a PF in Brand who's older and more injury prone than Amare. Speights and the pick may be enough to offset this, but maybe not. I'd say Phoenix needs to get Williams in the deal.
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#8 » by HotSpurs21 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:44 pm

Bonzi wrote:I don't think it's too good for Phoenix at all. They get a PF in Brand who's older and more injury prone than Amare. Speights and the pick may be enough to offset this, but maybe not. I'd say Phoenix needs to get Williams in the deal.

Now you are asking for too much

Giving up Speights and the 1st in addition to Brand is quite a steep price to pay for the Sixers already. If they have to give up Lou on top of this, I'd say they're better off keeping what they have
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#9 » by Foshan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:44 pm

^

yeah i got to agree, that is a pretty steep price to pay. Just because Brand hasn't had the greatest season does not mean he is just salary filler. His mid range game, plus pick&roll play would be a huge compliment to Shaq/Nash. To then include Speights, who is showing signs of being a great Amare-like offensive player... I think the suns are making out quite well on this trade. Plus, Amare is a total head case this season, I'm not sure the sixers even look to pick him up if they could move Brand for a SG instead.

Oh, and to say Brand is "injury-prone" is pretty lame. Yeah he's had one big injury, but other than that he's been a very consistent player.
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#10 » by HotSpurs21 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:49 pm

Foshan wrote:^

yeah i got to agree, that is a pretty steep price to pay. Just because Brand hasn't had the greatest season does not mean he is just salary filler. His mid range game, plus pick&roll play would be a huge compliment to Shaq/Nash. To then include Speights, who is showing signs of being a great Amare-like offensive player... I think the suns are making out quite well on this trade. Plus, Amare is a total head case this season, I'm not sure the sixers even look to pick him up if they could move Brand for a SG instead.

Oh, and to say Brand is "injury-prone" is pretty lame. Yeah he's had one big injury, but other than that he's been a very consistent player.

I wouldn't go that far to say Amare has been a head case. Sure he's been unhappy about his role on the team, but he hasn't done anything disruptive to the team.

If Sixers were to move Brand, they definitely would go for a good big who could fit their running style. They are not going to rely on Dalembert to be their scoring threat at C
InBoobieWeTrust
General Manager

Post#11 » by InBoobieWeTrust » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:53 pm

This is a really well constructed trade as-is, IMO....

the only thing that would be a concern for Philly is Amare leaving to play with D'Antoni in NY or Wade in Mia come 2010.

Phx should add something....

What about incorporating Barbosa into this trade somehow? Give the sixers extra outside shooting and another up-tempo player...

not sure who the sixers would add, maybe one of their bangers at PF and/or Willie Green?
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#12 » by old rem » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:56 pm

The obvious issue is the fact Amare's contract is running out and the Sixers won't want to give Speights and a pick and not have him extended a few years.
CENSORED... No comment.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#13 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:11 pm

This is a tough one. Speights could very well be a poor man's Amare in a few years. If we're trading Brand, we're better off just getting what we can for him and holding onto Speights. But I don't see us trading Brand. Certainly not now before the deadline, and unlikely even in the off-season.
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#14 » by HotSpurs21 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:38 pm

InBoobieWeTrust wrote:This is a really well constructed trade as-is, IMO....

the only thing that would be a concern for Philly is Amare leaving to play with D'Antoni in NY or Wade in Mia come 2010.

Phx should add something....

What about incorporating Barbosa into this trade somehow? Give the sixers extra outside shooting and another up-tempo player...

not sure who the sixers would add, maybe one of their bangers at PF and/or Willie Green?

Of course Philly would welcome Barbosa, but the only way Phoenix is willing to include him with Amare would be Philly sending Lou Williams the other way. Willie Green/Reggie Evans is not going to cut it.

Not sure if Philly would bite.
shadowTerp
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#15 » by shadowTerp » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:43 pm

HotSpurs21 wrote:Of course Philly would welcome Barbosa, but the only way Phoenix is willing to include him with Amare would be Philly sending Lou Williams the other way. Willie Green/Reggie Evans is not going to cut it.

Not sure if Philly would bite.

This is exactly a trade I proposed on the Sixers board. I figure this is the only way Phoenix takes it:

Sixers trade: Brand, Speights, Williams, 2010 1st
Suns trade: Barbosa, Stoudamire

Phoenix gets some young talent plus some cost savings in the near term. This also works with Williams' BYC. If you are the Sixers, giving up Speights, Williams and a pick is painful, but you almost have to do it... but only if you can sign Amare to a long-term deal. Making the pick in 2010 means that the Sixers can try and get a PG in a deep PG draft, when they don't have anyone there signed past next season.

When I proposed it on the Sixers board, I realized the Sixers could throw in Smith or Ivey or two vet minimums instead of Speights to make the $$$ work, but then I highly doubt the Suns take it.
jlove_26
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#16 » by jlove_26 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:38 am

As a Suns fan, I'd even be willing to leave Brand with Philly. Make it:
Amare
for
Daly/Speights and filler

If the Sixers want to really turn up the run and gun why not tweak it a little more...plus you get a PG that you have for an extra year rather than hoping Miller re-signs......
Amare/Nash/Hill/Tucker
for
Miller/Speights/Daly/Iggy

or

Amare/Nash/Lopez/Hill/Tucker
for
Miller/Brand/Daly/Speights
SamBone
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#17 » by SamBone » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:40 am

STAT for Brand, Spaights and protected pick

That would be perfect for Philly. I would only add the pick if Stat signs an extension
2012 GMAT Christmas Edition : OKC Thunder

PG: DWill / Bayless
SG: DWade / VC / Grant Hill
SF: KD / MWP
PF: Ibaka / Landry
C : DMC / Dalembert / Kelly Olynyk

draft rites to Serey Karaey
SamBone
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#18 » by SamBone » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:41 am

jlove_26 wrote:As a Suns fan, I'd even be willing to leave Brand with Philly. Make it:
Amare
for
Daly/Speights and filler

DONE!
2012 GMAT Christmas Edition : OKC Thunder

PG: DWill / Bayless
SG: DWade / VC / Grant Hill
SF: KD / MWP
PF: Ibaka / Landry
C : DMC / Dalembert / Kelly Olynyk

draft rites to Serey Karaey
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#19 » by HotSpurs21 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:05 am

jlove_26 wrote:As a Suns fan, I'd even be willing to leave Brand with Philly. Make it:
Amare
for
Daly/Speights and filler

If the Suns would really accept that, Philly would take that and run.

Then they would have the option of either keeping Brand or dealing Brand for a good SG
A-Town Connection
Bench Warmer

Post#20 » by A-Town Connection » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:51 am

If i was PHX, I would want to make sure Brand can still play. If he comes back and doesn't have that much explosion, why trade for him.

Return to Trades and Transactions