Millsap: How much will he get?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

DarkKnight
Analyst
And1: 672

Millsap: How much will he get? 

Post#1 » by DarkKnight » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:41 pm

With the cap unlikely to move too far and almost nobody under the cap after this season, what kind of contract is Millsap going to be able to get? And how high will Utah go to keep him?
"JJ is a fineness player." - knickerbocker2k2 (meaning to say "finesse", about James Johnson)
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: Millsap: How much will he get? 

Post#2 » by loserX » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:49 pm

I see no reason he can't get somewhere in the $8-10M range. Several teams that DO have capspace may be looking for a PF (Memphis, for one).

Whether the Jazz match may depend on what happens with Boozer. He said that he would opt out, in which case no problem, we use his money to match any offer to Millsap. If his injuries (or the temptation of a bigger pool of suitors in 2010) change his mind and he DOESN'T opt out, the Jazz may have some decisions to make.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#3 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:58 pm

It will all depend on how and where more highly rated FAs sign. DOn't get me wrong, Paul has had a great year. But there are only so many teams with money to spend this summer, and Marion, Boozer, Iverson, Wallace, Odom, Turkoglu, Kidd, Lee, Artest, Miller and Bibby should all be in the market for above-MLE offers. Like many other youngsters looking for their 2nd contract (Gordon, Kleiza, Felton) Millsap may have to settle for the MLE, or less.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
killacalijatt
General Manager
And1: 1,708

Post#4 » by killacalijatt » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:06 pm

anywere between 6-9 anything under is robbery anything over is overpaying
eslr
Assistant Coach
And1: 25

Post#5 » by eslr » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:06 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:It will all depend on how and where more highly rated FAs sign. DOn't get me wrong, Paul has had a great year. But there are only so many teams with money to spend this summer, and Marion, Boozer, Iverson, Wallace, Odom, Turkoglu, Kidd, Lee, Artest, Miller and Bibby should all be in the market for above-MLE offers. Like many other youngsters looking for their 2nd contract (Gordon, Kleiza, Felton) Millsap may have to settle for the MLE, or less.

No way are guys like Marion, Iverson, Odom, Walalce, Kidd, Bibby etc. etc. going to get a bigger offer than Millsap.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#6 » by sipclip » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:33 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:It will all depend on how and where more highly rated FAs sign. DOn't get me wrong, Paul has had a great year. But there are only so many teams with money to spend this summer, and Marion, Boozer, Iverson, Wallace, Odom, Turkoglu, Kidd, Lee, Artest, Miller and Bibby should all be in the market for above-MLE offers. Like many other youngsters looking for their 2nd contract (Gordon, Kleiza, Felton) Millsap may have to settle for the MLE, or less.

Give me some of what you're smoking. The low for Millsap will be 10mil a year and he could get a huge offer from the grizz in the 12-14 mil a year range.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#7 » by Milkdud » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:37 pm

Anything over 10 strikes me as over paying. Now that could still happen as players get overpaid all the time. I think he would be best served trying to work out a deal with the Jazz for around 8 a season.
CableKC
RealGM
And1: 10,716

Post#8 » by CableKC » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:56 pm

Probably something starting at $8-9 mil a year for 4+ years with the standard raise per season is reasonable to me. Milsap should thank Boozer for getting injured...he wouldn't have been able to show his skillz off if Boozer was still playing.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#9 » by doctor him » Mon Feb 2, 2009 9:29 pm

5 years - $52.5 million
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,761

Post#10 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 2, 2009 9:43 pm

Anything over 9 million average over 5 or so years is overpaying, although he strikes me as the sort of player that may get overpaid given his age and size.

Of course, he could be this year's Josh Smith with everyone afraid that the Jazz will just match any offer, and, like Smith, he may have to settle for whatever he can get (8 million range).

Smart money is on someone like Memphis or my Pistons eventually signing him to an offer sheet which the Jazz ultimately match, probably within the 8-9 million range over 5 years.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#11 » by HeroicKennedy » Mon Feb 2, 2009 9:46 pm

Pistons#1 wrote:Anything over 9 million average over 5 or so years is overpaying, although he strikes me as the sort of player that may get overpaid given his age and size.

Of course, he could be this year's Josh Smith with everyone afraid that the Jazz will just match any offer, and, like Smith, he may have to settle for whatever he can get (8 million range).

Smart money is on someone like Memphis or my Pistons eventually signing him to an offer sheet which the Jazz ultimately match, probably within the 8-9 million range over 5 years.

At which point, Boozer is pretty much done in Utah. However, if Boozer changes his mind and decides NOT to opt out, there's a good chance Millsap could be had for $8 million or maybe even less. You have three guys looking for pay raises, and there's good chance one (or even two) will bolt.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,761

Post#12 » by Snakebites » Mon Feb 2, 2009 9:53 pm

^I had forgotten that Boozer is a player option and not just a straight up free agent.

I actually think its in his best interests NOT to opt out this year. He has been hurt most of the year and that can't be good for his value. Not only that, but fewer teams are looking to spend this year so his leverage with Utah is going to be much less.

There are a lot of big fish that will get more attention than him next year, but there are also a lot more teams out there shopping for free agents, too. I think he's better off banking the last year, but then I guess I'm hardly an expert on the dynamics of the free agent market.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#13 » by HeroicKennedy » Mon Feb 2, 2009 10:00 pm

Pistons#1 wrote:^I had forgotten that Boozer is a player option and not just a straight up free agent.

I actually think its in his best interests NOT to opt out this year. He has been hurt most of the year and that can't be good for his value. Not only that, but fewer teams are looking to spend this year so his leverage with Utah is going to be much less.

There are a lot of big fish that will get more attention than him next year, but there are also a lot more teams out there shopping for free agents, too. I think he's better off banking the last year, but then I guess I'm hardly an expert on the dynamics of the free agent market.

After watching Brand and Davis opt out at the last minute, I doubt Boozer will change is mind on opting out, just because he's a big fish in a small pond. Teams like OKC and Memphis, desperate for bigs, will most definitely consider throwing a max contract at Boozer. I know everyone positioning themselves for a big splash in 2010, but in all honesty, with the collective bargaining agreement set to expire in 2011 AND the troubling economy, I think Boozer is best to grab as much as he can as soon as he can.

Return to Trades and Transactions