Milwaukee/Minnesota shuffling cap space...

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Milwaukee/Minnesota shuffling cap space... 

Post#1 » by john2jer » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:01 pm

Bucks get: Brian Cardinal, Mark Madsen, and Boston's 2009 1st round pick
Wolves get: Dan Gadzuric, Tyrone Lue, and Milwaukee's 2009 1st round pick

Milwaukee takes on roughly 3mil in 2009 to clear 7.2mil in 2010 by downgrading from the 16th pick to the 30th. They're over the cap in 2009, but under the lux, so the additional salary in 2009 doesn't hurt them, but clearing the space in 2010 could allow them room to bring in a max free agent depending on what's done with Michael Redd and Richard Jefferson.

Minnesota clears more space in 2009 which allows them to make a splash in the less competitive free agent market, yet still have room in 2010. the Boston pick really is a tough one because it's a guaranteed contract to a rookie who's probably only 2nd round talent. Moving up into the mid-1st brings in a better talent. Wolves are basically paying 4.2mil in 2010 to upgrade 14 slots in the draft. Wolves get a deep bench center, and a third point guard to help with the injuries to Ollie and the banged up Telfair.

The players in this are of little note, it's their contracts that are important.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: Milwaukee/Minnesota shuffling cap space... 

Post#2 » by loserX » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:12 pm

The Bucks want to re-up Sessions (and possibly Villanueva) in 2009...so taking on salary next year does hurt them.

I also doubt they will give up a pick that could end up in the lotto when the best player coming back is Brian Cardinal.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#3 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:25 pm

you're underestimating Mark Madsen
john2jer
RealGM

Post#4 » by john2jer » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:27 pm

loserX wrote:The Bucks want to re-up Sessions (and possibly Villanueva) in 2009...so taking on salary next year does hurt them.

I also doubt they will give up a pick that could end up in the lotto when the best player coming back is Brian Cardinal.

There were posts the other day about Milwaukee trading Gadz and their 1st for an expiring. That would be tough for most teams to swallow since the pick is currently out of the lottery, but Redd's injury changes that. This deal gets them a pick back and balances that with Cardinals attractive expiring next year. :wink:
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,775

Post#5 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:32 pm

Yeah, I said for an expiring, too bad we get 0 expirings in this deal.

Cardinal for Gadzuric doesn't help us at all. Cardinal is just as crappy as Gadz and makes big $ as well.
Madsen for Lue is just terrible. We trade a role player for a player that would be a 5th string power forward.
Then you add in the pick swap? Seriously? I wouldnt even do it if it was Mccants instead of Madsen. I wouldn't even do it if it was our second. Just terrible.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#6 » by B Calrissian » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:50 pm

Cardinal's deal is one year shorter than Gadz's, so yes Cardinal for Gadzuric does help the Bucks.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#7 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:53 pm

B Calrissian wrote:Cardinal's deal is one year shorter than Gadz's, so yes Cardinal for Gadzuric does help the Bucks.

Not in the offseason, the only time in the next probably 3 years cap space will even be important.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#8 » by B Calrissian » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:57 pm

RingtheBell wrote:
B Calrissian wrote:Cardinal's deal is one year shorter than Gadz's, so yes Cardinal for Gadzuric does help the Bucks.

Not in the offseason, the only time in the next probably 3 years cap space will even be important.

Only if the Bucks plan on sticking with Redd/Jefferson. If that is the case I feel bad for you Bucks fans.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#9 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:59 pm

B Calrissian wrote:
RingtheBell wrote:

Only if the Bucks plan on sticking with Redd/Jefferson. If that is the case I feel bad for you Bucks fans.

I don't think we want to, but I think we kind of have to.
john2jer
RealGM

Post#10 » by john2jer » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:25 pm

I almost humored the idea of offering Collins, but Gadz contract is too ugly, even for the decent pick, and my man crush I'm developing on Tyreke Evans. Our pick is probably too high to take him, unfortunately the Bucks pick might be too low.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#11 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:28 pm

john2jer wrote:I almost humored the idea of offering Collins, but Gadz contract is too ugly, even for the decent pick, and my man crush I'm developing on Tyreke Evans. Our pick is probably too high to take him, unfortunately the Bucks pick might be too low.

Even if it was Collins instead of Cardinal I doubt the Bucks still do it, they still take on the salary of Madsen for Lue's expiring.

Saving what? $3 million to drop down 15-20 spots in the draft?
john2jer
RealGM

Post#12 » by john2jer » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:35 pm

They would save 4mil next year and 7mil in 2010 for a total of 11mil. Collins is expiring. Madsen makes 2.8mil.

So they basically would pay 2.8mil and a drop from mid-1st to late 1st in a weak draft to save 14mil in wasted roster space.

But I'm pretty sure you couldn't get the Wolves to do that, so nevermind. I tried. :-(
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#13 » by trwi7 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 9:21 pm

This trade is a joke. One of the worst I've seen. Not only do we give up the better pick, but we also add almost $3 million in salary for the year we need it most.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
john2jer
RealGM

Post#14 » by john2jer » Tue Feb 3, 2009 9:30 pm

trwi7 wrote:This trade is a joke. One of the worst I've seen. Not only do we give up the better pick, but we also add almost $3 million in salary for the year we need it most.

Right on time. :lol:
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#15 » by mattg » Tue Feb 3, 2009 11:14 pm

gotta echo how bad this is for the bucks, its not even close to say the very least
Vindicater
General Manager
And1: 423

Post#16 » by Vindicater » Tue Feb 3, 2009 11:26 pm

Id do it as a wolves fan... which means i guess i wouldnt do it if i was a bucks fan
"That's why the last two years weren't guaranteed," Walsh said. "Either way, he knew it could have happened either way."
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#17 » by deeney0 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 11:36 pm

Obviously the Bucks don't do this, but they're not going to find anyone who'll take Gadz and a pick for an expiring. No matter, though, Sessions and Charlie V aren't worth re-uping - if they do, they'll be kicking themselves two years from now.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#18 » by trwi7 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 11:42 pm

deeney0 wrote:No matter, though, Sessions and Charlie V aren't worth re-uping - if they do, they'll be kicking themselves two years from now.

Really. Why is that?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.

Return to Trades and Transactions