Hawks/Warriors (J.Smith/Maggette, B.Wright)

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

jimteacher04
Banned User
And1: 0

Hawks/Warriors (J.Smith/Maggette, B.Wright) 

Post#1 » by jimteacher04 » Thu Feb 5, 2009 12:51 am

atl: j.smith, s.jones, gardner, r.morris, claxton
gs: maggette, b.wright, a.randolph, belinelli, mrc.williams

- hawks get talented youth at 3 different positions, address backup sg, and can possibly receive a pick
- gs gets rid of maggette while receiving a star player at their weakest position; i'd even throw in a pick if it was necessary (getting rid of maggette will be worth it in the long run)

atl rotation:
bibby/murray
j.johnson/belinelli
maggette/mv.williams
b.wright/randolph
horford/pachulia

gs rotation:
ellis/cj.watson
crawford/morrow
s.jackson/azubuike
j.smith/s.jones
biedrins/turiaf
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Re: Hawks/Warriors (J.Smith/Maggette, B.Wright) 

Post#2 » by gswhoops » Thu Feb 5, 2009 1:22 am

As much as I like Smoove, this is too much for the Warriors to give. Let us keep either Wright or Randolph and I'd give this a yes.
J-Rich-
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#3 » by J-Rich- » Thu Feb 5, 2009 1:29 am

jimteacher04 wrote:atl: j.smith, s.jones, gardner, r.morris, claxton
gs: maggette, b.wright, a.randolph, belinelli, mrc.williams

- hawks get talented youth at 3 different positions, address backup sg, and can possibly receive a pick
- gs gets rid of maggette while receiving a star player at their weakest position; i'd even throw in a pick if it was necessary (getting rid of maggette will be worth it in the long run)

atl rotation:
bibby/murray
j.johnson/belinelli
maggette/mv.williams
b.wright/randolph
horford/pachulia

gs rotation:
ellis/cj.watson
crawford/morrow
s.jackson/azubuike
j.smith/s.jones
biedrins/turiaf

josh smith is a star player? he isnt even an all star player. this is way too much to give up. i'd take back wright or randolph and belinelii and add 09 1st rnd pick top 3 protected
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#4 » by HotSpurs21 » Thu Feb 5, 2009 1:39 am

not saying the value isn't there (Belinelli, Wright and Randolph sure are worth a lot to the Warriors), but Hawks aren't going to give up Smith for that package.

Belinelli is nice, but Joe Johnson is logging 40 mins a game, so I doubt Belinelli can get many minutes there. Wright and Randolph are pretty much question marks at this point. Maggette is toxic and no one wants to be near him.

I'd pass.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#5 » by killbuckner » Thu Feb 5, 2009 1:55 am

The Hawks aren't going to trade smith for a bunch of backups and an unwanted contract in Maggette
TrueTaiwanese
Freshman

Post#6 » by TrueTaiwanese » Thu Feb 5, 2009 2:25 am

Hahaha..guys, can't believe that ur preaching Smoove like he is already at Bosh's calibr. s.jones, gardner, r.morris...What a joke. So you really expect Warriors to only ask for Smoove if you want them to take all these D-leaguers off ur hand? I would trade Amare + Barns for that package.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#7 » by killbuckner » Thu Feb 5, 2009 2:30 am

Its not overrating smith- its just pointing out that Belinelli hasn't even shown that he deserves a spot in the league and Wright and Randolph are still huge projects that may not amount to anything. It would be ridiculous for a team that projects to ahve home court advantage in the first round to trade a player like Josh Smith for an unwanted contract and backups.
J-Rich-
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#8 » by J-Rich- » Thu Feb 5, 2009 2:51 am

killbuckner wrote:Its not overrating smith- its just pointing out that Belinelli hasn't even shown that he deserves a spot in the league and Wright and Randolph are still huge projects that may not amount to anything. It would be ridiculous for a team that projects to ahve home court advantage in the first round to trade a player like Josh Smith for an unwanted contract and backups.

belinelli was warriors 2nd best player when he was starting before he got injured. you haven't watched belinelli this year or even look boxscores from what you wrote. he was pretty consistent too. the same could've been said about wright and randolph but nellie hates both players for some dumb reason. both have produced a lot with very little and inconsistent playing time and it isnt their fault that they're not getting minutes. as a coach you're supposed to play players who contribute. if you're a young big, the more you contribute the more dnps you're gonna get from nellie
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#9 » by killbuckner » Thu Feb 5, 2009 2:57 am

So how many games were encompassed in the time frame of "when he was starting and before he got injured". Even crappy players can have a nice couple weeks. He simply hasn't show that he deserves a spot in the league and I think its pretty likely he'll be back in europe after his guaranteed contract is done.
HotSpurs21
Analyst

Post#10 » by HotSpurs21 » Thu Feb 5, 2009 3:12 am

TrueTaiwanese wrote:Hahaha..guys, can't believe that ur preaching Smoove like he is already at Bosh's calibr. s.jones, gardner, r.morris...What a joke. So you really expect Warriors to only ask for Smoove if you want them to take all these D-leaguers off ur hand? I would trade Amare + Barns for that package.

that's a joke.

Belinelli is the only piece in the package that's appealing, and Hawks already have their best player playing his position.

Wright and Randolph are projects and have not proven anything in the league. They might be worth a lot to the Warriors, that doesn't mean they're worth as much to other teams.

So you expect the Hawks to take them plus a toxic Maggette for a proven commodity (and young too) like Smoove?
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,474

Post#11 » by dms269 » Thu Feb 5, 2009 4:33 am

TrueTaiwanese wrote:Hahaha..guys, can't believe that ur preaching Smoove like he is already at Bosh's calibr. s.jones, gardner, r.morris...What a joke. So you really expect Warriors to only ask for Smoove if you want them to take all these D-leaguers off ur hand? I would trade Amare + Barns for that package.

So who said that Smith was on Bosh's caliber?
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
eslr
Assistant Coach
And1: 25

Post#12 » by eslr » Thu Feb 5, 2009 4:48 am

I think Warriors fans overrate their young guys (ESPECIALLY Ranolph and Wright) more than any fans on here; but even I think this is way too much for Josh Smith.

It's essentially Magette and 4 first round draft picks for a pretty "meh" player. Josh smith is okay at everything, but great at nothing (other than blocking shots, which has fallen off this season). For being an unspectacular player, he doesn't have any intangibles either. He hasn't demonstrated any leadership, hasn't demonstrated clutchness, hasn't demonstrated a go-to ability, hasn't demonstrated incredible hustle..........he's simply not worth that much.
don nelson
Head Coach
And1: 3

Post#13 » by don nelson » Thu Feb 5, 2009 7:05 am

eslr wrote:I think Warriors fans overrate their young guys (ESPECIALLY Ranolph and Wright) more than any fans on here; but even I think this is way too much for Josh Smith.

It's essentially Magette and 4 first round draft picks for a pretty "meh" player. Josh smith is okay at everything, but great at nothing (other than blocking shots, which has fallen off this season). For being an unspectacular player, he doesn't have any intangibles either. He hasn't demonstrated any leadership, hasn't demonstrated clutchness, hasn't demonstrated a go-to ability, hasn't demonstrated incredible hustle..........he's simply not worth that much.

I can recall many posters on this forum accusing Warrior fans of severely over rating a couple of young players several years ago when proposed trades frequently included these two youngsters as filler. But Warrior fans held firm about not trading these two youngsters and now Andris Biedrins and Monta Ellis are core pieces for the rebuilding Warriors. Golden State would be better off buying out Maggette's contract if they really wanted to dump him that badly rather than accept this deal which includes Anthony Randolph, Brandan Wright and Marco Belinelli as trade filler which most Warrior fans would really prefer to keep to see what kind of players they can become. Josh Smith would be a nice addition to the Warriors roster but not at this price.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#14 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Feb 5, 2009 8:21 am

Yeah that seem a little bit too much for the W's to give up. You basically get every solid young player on their team.
St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#15 » by St.Nick » Thu Feb 5, 2009 10:00 am

killbuckner wrote:So how many games were encompassed in the time frame of "when he was starting and before he got injured". Even crappy players can have a nice couple weeks. He simply hasn't show that he deserves a spot in the league and I think its pretty likely he'll be back in europe after his guaranteed contract is done.

Ignorant nonsense.
don nelson
Head Coach
And1: 3

Post#16 » by don nelson » Thu Feb 5, 2009 5:59 pm

killbuckner wrote:So how many games were encompassed in the time frame of "when he was starting and before he got injured". Even crappy players can have a nice couple weeks. He simply hasn't show that he deserves a spot in the league and I think its pretty likely he'll be back in europe after his guaranteed contract is done.

It is better to remain silent than to speak and remove all doubt.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by conleyorbust » Thu Feb 5, 2009 6:09 pm

Well it seems we are at a consensus. The Hawks are now winning and would prefer not to give up their second best/best player for bench players who have value because they were lottery picks and have shown flashes and the Ws who are in rebuilding mode don't want to give up 3 guys with potential for 1 guy.

Neither team's fans seem to want to do this.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#18 » by old rem » Thu Feb 5, 2009 7:23 pm

killbuckner wrote:Its not overrating smith- its just pointing out that Belinelli hasn't even shown that he deserves a spot in the league and Wright and Randolph are still huge projects that may not amount to anything. It would be ridiculous for a team that projects to ahve home court advantage in the first round to trade a player like Josh Smith for an unwanted contract and backups.

Actually....having seen Wright,Belinnelli and Randolph I see them ALL as currently deserving rotation roles and I could see them all eventually starting. Once Belli got pt this year..he surprised us and was a frequent starter till getting a bad sprain.

I DO like Smoove but...in terms of scoring pop..Maggette is ahead of Smoove and less $. To ADD our last 3 rd 1 picks (2 of them lotto) to cover the difference, kind of makes Maggette seem like a bargain.

GSW has a serious problem in that Rowell bypassed Mullin to extend Nellie,and Nellie's priority is to showcase NELLY by showcasing NELLYball...which mostly involves playing a horde of shooting G's and SF's and no PF. Mullin kept drafting to fill a dire need for REBOUNDING, for a PF even if just a stretched out SF like Randolph. Nellie's response has been to round up undrafted walk ons (which has surprisingly gone very well) as he does his best to waste whoever was drafted-especially any "big"

We got Monta as a rd 2..then drafted rd 2's the next 3 years and gave then virtually ZERO chance to show they could do ANYTHING. Nellie MUCH under employed all of our last FIVE rd ones..after purging the roster of most of the rd ones we'd accumulated..we had about 8 former lotto picks at one point. Go figure.

Beli..as a SG/PG...has got "love" from Nellie in spite of being a guy we drafted. Shows possible PG ability, great long range touch, energy. He had some 20 pt games,some starts.

Wright and Randolph could have a great 6-7 early minutes..then not be seen again. We meanwhile are - 15 on rebounds and Maggette's the "PF". Nuts.
CENSORED... No comment.

Return to Trades and Transactions