Portland/New Jersey - Vincanity Baby

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

DeezXXnutZ
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Portland/New Jersey - Vincanity Baby 

Post#1 » by DeezXXnutZ » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:24 pm

Successful Trade Scenario
Congratulations on a successful trade.
Due to Portland and New Jersey being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Portland and New Jersey had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID #4992600

Portland Trade Breakdown

Incoming Players
Vince Carter
6-6 SG / SF from North Carolina

Outgoing Players
Channing Frye
6-11 PF from Arizona

Travis Outlaw
6-9 SF from Starkville (HS)

Raef LaFrentz
6-11 PF / C from Kansas

2009 1st round draft selection (Top 3 protected)

New Jersey Trade Breakdown

Incoming Players
Channing Frye
6-11 PF from Arizona

Travis Outlaw
6-9 SF from Starkville (HS)

Raef LaFrentz
6-11 PF / C from Kansas

2009 1st round draft selection (Top 3 protected)

Outgoing Players
Vince Carter
6-6 SG / SF from North Carolina
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Re: Portland/New Jersey - Vincanity Baby 

Post#2 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:57 pm

There isn't enough "meat" on this proposal to interest the Nets. Frye is a rental who, behind Jianlian/Anderson/Boone/Williams/Najera, would have absolutely no role on the team. Some Nets fans like Outlaw, but I see him as a misfit for our system, and a minus-defender when asked to guard SFs (thus, further adding to the PF glut). Blake would be a great luxury to have, but although we could use a 3rd PG, we don't need to use trade assets to get one as good as him. Someone like Will Solomon or Travis Diener would be more than sufficient.

Conversely, the Blazers won't trade Blake without a better PG returning. Raef/Martell/TrOut/1st for VC/Hassell/Najera would be a more reasonable deal for both sides, but honestly, any package from the Blazers that does not include Rudy (or at least Batum) is lukewarm for me.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#3 » by PDXKnight » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:02 pm

This trade would depend heavily on how highly the Nets value Vince Carter, but I'd definitely do it from Portland's perspective.
CB-Blazer
Head Coach
And1: 545

Post#4 » by CB-Blazer » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:05 pm

With the Nets offering a package for Amare that leads me to believe that they are looking to compete this year.

This package doesn't work for either team because it depletes our depth at PF and we would have a rodriguez/Bayless starting rotation at the PG spot, they just arent' ready yet.
Preludepunk27
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Preludepunk27 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:30 pm

Nets are not gonna be interested in adding more young front court players. If it's Raef, Rudy, and Sergio the Nets probably won't be interested. Sorry guys. That may not be fair value, but they won't take the bottom of the barrell prospects you have plus an expiring for Vince. Especially if they're taking on ANOTHER front court guy who wouldn't start over any of our current players.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#6 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:49 pm

CB-Blazer wrote:With the Nets offering a package for Amare that leads me to believe that they are looking to compete this year.

This package doesn't work for either team because it depletes our depth at PF and we would have a rodriguez/Bayless starting rotation at the PG spot, they just arent' ready yet.

Actually, Kiki Vandeweghe has stated that although exploratory talks have gone on with Phoenix and a number of other teams, "there has been no offer made" for Amar'e from the Nets.

Secondly, I agree with your assessment on POR's PG situation, which is why I made my counter-proposal. What do you think of it?
-- Steve Martin
CB-Blazer
Head Coach
And1: 545

Post#7 » by CB-Blazer » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:03 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
CB-Blazer wrote:With the Nets offering a package for Amare that leads me to believe that they are looking to compete this year.

Actually, Kiki Vandeweghe has stated that although exploratory talks have gone on with Phoenix and a number of other teams, "there has been no offer made" for Amar'e from the Nets.

Secondly, I agree with your assessment on POR's PG situation, which is why I made my counter-proposal. What do you think of it?

There is 2 things I see wrong with it.
1) Portland adds way too much long-term salary and they still have Oden/LMA/Roy needing new contracts pretty quick.

2) It would leave us with Najera as our only long term back-up at PF and we won't really have the capspace to sign a better FA.

I would take out Outlaw/Najera and then throw in the 2009 NYK/DEN 2nd rounders and a lotto protected 2011 1st rounder.

Outlaw is simply very very valueable to Portland, way more much so than to any other team in the leauge. I have also heard from a few Net fans that they don't see him fitting into the Nets beause he would be adding a PF to an already crowded PF line-up......
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#8 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:27 pm

Hey, I'm not against removing TrOut, but I feel that other NJN fans would be.
-- Steve Martin
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#9 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:36 pm

I'd be happy with

LaFrentz
Webster

for

VC
Ager

Anything more would just be icing on the cake. I think it would give NJ enough cap space for two max free agents in 2010, or at least very close. And no I wouldn't expect them to land to, but I do think the money could be better spent that $17m on a 35 y/o Carter.

Harris
Webster / CDR
Anderson
Yi / Najera
Lopez
+
2009 #1
2009 #1 Portland
2010 #1
2010 #1 Dallas
+
Loads of cap space
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.

Return to Trades and Transactions