GSW/PHIL

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

iowarrior
Rookie
And1: 0

GSW/PHIL 

Post#1 » by iowarrior » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:27 pm

If hoopsworld rumors have any degree of accuracy, the Sixers are giving thought to trading Andre Miller before the trade deadline. They fear that he may go elsewhere when his contract expires at season's end therefore leaving them with no return.

The Warriors need Andre Miller or some semblance of a true point guard badly. SJax has been playing great as of late, but earlier in the year was allowed to shoot at will and missed often. Miller, a veteran and a good distributor, might keep him in check. Miller's addition would also allow Monta Ellis to cencentrate on what he does best, score the ball from the SG position, with Miller's alley oops assisting in that effort. The W's would need him to agree to a contract extension prior to the trade.

Trades that would work in getting Miller to the Warriors:

Either Jamal Crawford or Corey Maggette +

Some combination of: Marco Belinelli, Marcus Williams, CJ Watson, Anthony Morrow, Rob Kurz or Jamario Davidson

If I'm the Philly FO I don't let Miller go, but if they fear he'll bolt, this could provide Belinelli or Watson who might work at the point if Williams does not or Morrow who is a needed 3-point shooter as future contributors. While Maggette was considered burdensome deadweight 6 weeks ago, his volunteering as Warrior 6th-man has turned his season around. He is averaging well over 20 per game since and would be missed now. Crawford is a feast or famine player who may opt-out at season's end (but IMO shouldn't due to the economic climate).

This proposal has been left somewhat vague on the Warriors end so that Philly/Warrior fans can fill in a trade that makes sense.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: GSW/PHIL 

Post#2 » by loserX » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:31 pm

Unless the Sixers think Lou Williams is ready to go as a starter, they should be getting someone who can play the point back. Of all the people on that list, Crawford makes the most sense skill-wise; Maggette, another wing with no real outside shot, makes the least.

That said, even if Crawford is desirable to the Sixers, his ability to opt-out leaves them in not much better situation than before! (Although I agree with you that he shouldn't.)
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,745

Post#3 » by gswhoops » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:34 pm

Crawford + Marcus Williams for Miller?
iowarrior
Rookie

Post#4 » by iowarrior » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:15 pm

I think that Crawford/Williams would be Warrior fan's dream scenario to get Miller, but Philly probably wants more than that.

I overlooked Kelena Azubuike before but would also include him in the right trade for Miller.
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#5 » by doctor him » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:37 pm

The reasons why GS would want Miller ( and I agree with those reasons ) are why GS isn't a match for Philly.

Lou WIlliams isn't a point guard for more than 10 minutes a night and even that is stretching it.

Philly would trade Miller if and only if his successor was coming back in the same deal.

Crawford isn't a point guard. Williams is a washout.

Any deal would have to bring a #1 back for this season where the Sixers would have to believe that their point guard of the future will be there. Jrue Holiday would be high on that list for me.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#6 » by turk3d » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:53 pm

There's so many caveats in today's trade world when it comes to putting together trades.

Do you think the Warriors would be willing to give up a pick for Miller who you (or reports) are saying the 76ers want to move because he's an expiring and they think he likely would move on at the end of this season? Even more so if he came to the Warriors so no way.

So I see Crawford and Williams as probably about the best you can expect to get for him as I'm sure any team will feel pretty much the same or is looking for cap space and are unwilling to give you a player of value in return.

As for Williams, he's just in Nellie's doghouse. At his cost, he's worth a shot in a different environment. Between him, Louis W. and Crawford (who is actually starting at guard for us) you'd probably be in pretty good shape for at least the remainder of the year. The most that I could see adding if I were the Warriors might be a #2 perhaps but no way would we be willing to give up a #1 with the likelihood that Andre's here for just a half a year.

As for Crawford, he's going to be looking for a deal next year too, so if he does, then it's a wash pretty much. I don't see it a bad move for either side.Crawford's trade value goes up next year if he decides to stay (will just have two years remaining on his contract) which should be alright for you guys since I don't think you're intending to be players in 2010 and neither are we (Andre's expiring is even all appealing to be quite honest since there's no way we'll be in the 2010 mix either).
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#7 » by corwin » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:14 pm

Can't see the Sixers moving Miller if a decent PG doesn't come back. If they can't get a decent return at a lesser salary, they should let him expire & if they want, then try to re-sign him over the summer. With the economics of the league being what it is & with a potential drop in the luxury tax level, teams need to be real careful about adding too much salary.
don nelson
Head Coach
And1: 3

Post#8 » by don nelson » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:43 pm

Both teams should decline this trade proposal because the Sixers need Miller and the Warriors aren't going to be able to send them a suitable replacement at the point. The Warriors might as well wait to see if Crawford opts out this summer since they really can't use Miller's EC.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#9 » by sixerswillrule » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:17 pm

I think a backcourt rotation of Lou, Crawford, and Iguodala could possibly work. But that's just me...
IggyTheBEaST
RealGM

Post#10 » by IggyTheBEaST » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:45 pm

i dont mind the warriors young peices but keep crawford and maggette far away from philly
===========

ITBs Dream Team:

Iverson/Iggy/Lebron/Amare/Dwight

I <3 Thaddeous
don nelson
Head Coach

Post#11 » by don nelson » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:04 am

IggyTheBEaST wrote:i dont mind the warriors young peices but keep crawford and maggette far away from philly

The Warriors are trying rebuild around their young pieces with the exception of Williams, Kurz and Davidson. That's why the 76ers and Warriors do not make good trade partners.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#12 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:07 am

I really like Azubuike but you probably value him highly.
don nelson
Head Coach

Post#13 » by don nelson » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:21 am

sixerswillrule wrote:I really like Azubuike but you probably value him highly.

Kelenna Azubuike is averaging 13.5 points with a 47% field goal percentage and 46% on 3 point shots as a part time starter. The Warriors signed Azubuike to a very reasonable 3 year $9 million contract last summer. Given the kind of bang for the buck the Warriors are getting from Azubuike especially in light of this current economic environment, there is no reason the Warriors should give Azubuike up unless an exceptionally attractive deal presents itself.
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#14 » by doctor him » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:28 am

don nelson wrote:
IggyTheBEaST wrote:i dont mind the warriors young peices but keep crawford and maggette far away from philly

The Warriors are trying rebuild around their young pieces with the exception of Williams, Kurz and Davidson. That's why the 76ers and Warriors do not make good trade partners.

I agree.
killacalijatt
General Manager
And1: 1,708

Post#15 » by killacalijatt » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:19 am

sixerswillrule wrote:I really like Azubuike but you probably value him highly.

He puts up same stats and play as Loul Deng yet Deng gets paid 60 mill and Buike some were around 12, Buike is on a great contract , hes 4th in the NBA in 3point% behind #1 Morrow

Return to Trades and Transactions