OFFICIAL (!): Kings/Timberwolves, small

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

OFFICIAL (!): Kings/Timberwolves, small 

Post#1 » by loserX » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:03 pm

The Sacramento Bee is reporting the following trade:

Kings trade/Wolves receive
Shelden Williams
Bobby Brown

Wolves trade/Kings receive
Rashad McCants
Calvin Booth

All players are expiring, except Bobby Brown who has a (very) small player option next year. I guess the Kings are wanting to take an early look at McCants (and clear some of their many, many PFs)...don't really see what the Wolves want, unless it's a cheap out on the unpopular McCants. I like Shelden, but how many PFs do THEY need?
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Re: OFFICIAL (?): Kings/Timberwolves, small 

Post#2 » by Mr. E » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:12 pm

The Kings have been rather perplexing approaching the deadline. McCants may find a role on that team, so I guess bringing him in for a few games isn't that bad of an idea. Still - they just seem like a rudderless ship the past few days.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 154

Post#3 » by schaffy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:14 pm

Quick question for Kings fans, Is Shelden able to play any C at all or is he strictly a PF?
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 507

Post#4 » by raleigh » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:16 pm

Shelden is a center who is too short to play center.

The Kings must've wanted to give McCants a shot. If they like him, his cap hold will be a deterrent to any offseason moves they make.
dozencousins
Analyst
And1: 135

Post#5 » by dozencousins » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:24 pm

sheldon is more of a power forward !
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#6 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:25 pm

ladies and gentlemen.... we got em!

honestly though, I like Landlord and MN has good luck w/ undersized centers; just get in the paint and make a mess. I like Mr. Whitney Houston too as a potential backup PG, this trade is a nice no risk trade w/ a potential reward for MN
Crimson King
Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#7 » by Crimson King » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:25 pm

imlbj23 wrote:Quick question for Kings fans, Is Shelden able to play any C at all or is he strictly a PF?

He is strictly a C.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#8 » by deeney0 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:27 pm

Wolves just need a body for the rest of the year with Al out. Shelden is that body. Speaking of body, Candace Parker may be a downgrade from Lima, but she's better than McCants' Khloe Kardashian, that's for sure.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#9 » by shrink » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:34 pm

For SAC fans, McCants can put the ball in the bucket from inside and outside, and last year, coming back from micro-fracture surgery, he was the Wolves #2 scorer off the bench at about 15 PPG and +40% FG. He has potential. However, the wolves didn't think they'd ever see it.

His role this year was "instant offense," but he'd often jack up bad shots early in the shot clock, which drew a lot of anger from then-coach Randy Wittman. Unfortunately, McCants would make a few of those shots, and he kept wanting to shoot them. Defensively, he has the athleticism to be a good defender, but he isn't. He uses his hands too much, and his feet not enough.

One fallacy about McCants is that he isn't a hard worker. When he was out for a year after the surgery, instead of getting flabby like most guys do, he spent all his time in the weight room, he put on 25 pounds of chiseled muscle. He was KG's best friend on the team, and lived in his home with KG and his wife during the rehab. Nobody gets an invitation like that if they haven't worked their butt off every practice and game.

Many MIN fans hate the kid, but I think getting him on a new team is the right thing to do. I don't know if he will succeed, but adding him is smart move by the Kings. If he succeeds, you own his Bird Rights. If he fails, you don't make a qualifying offer, and you benefit as an expiring. No risk.

Others are welcome to add their thoughts on McCants. He provokes a lot of different opinions.
eagles nut
Analyst
And1: 266

Re: OFFICIAL (!): Kings/Timberwolves, small 

Post#10 » by eagles nut » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:42 pm

I like Bobby Brown from what I've seen of him which is admittedly only 2 games.
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#11 » by Cruel_Ruin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:46 pm

I like the deal for the Kings. With Diogu, Gooden and Simmons coming in, we needed to get rid of a PF, turned out to be Shelden. McCants is a bonehead, but he's got scoring talent, so why not take a flyer on him.

Bobby Brown is an electric scoring PG with good quickness and athleticism. He's very turnover prone, but when he gets hot, he can really light up the scoreboard. He tries hard on defense, but isn't very fundamental, and even worse is the fact that it's hard to guard PGs these days with the handcheck rules. But yeah, he's only 24, so you figure he's got a bit of potential left.

Oh, as an added bonus, the Timberwolves will get love from ESPN's Mark Stein, who has the same alma mater as Brown. The Kings got a mention every now and then just because Brown was on the roster.
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#12 » by the_bruce » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:21 pm

I haven't seen much of Brown, but from what I have seen he's a tremendous athlete.

McCants only played sparingly his rookie season, was out his 2nd season due to microfracture, showed wolves fans glimpses of potential last year off the bench, and was entirely at odds with Whittman this season. Hope the change of scenery helps McCants, great low risk high reward move for the kings.
treis
RealGM
And1: 60

Post#13 » by treis » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:27 pm

imlbj23 wrote:Quick question for Kings fans, Is Shelden able to play any C at all or is he strictly a PF?

He can't really play either because he sucks so bad.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#14 » by john2jer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:04 pm

YES! YES! YES! Wolves are going straight for the 'chip now with Mr. Parker and Mr. Perogative. Watch out Lakers, watch out Spurs, yous guys going down!

K, anyone else believe me? ;-)

It's a yawner for both sides, but really the Wolves needed another big body, and the Kings needed a guard. Swap non-factors and hope it shakes things up for their career, or at the very least gets each team through the last 30 games of the season.

Both teams won. But due to Candace Parker, the Wolves won more. ;-)
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
KM44
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#15 » by KM44 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:10 pm

Bummer, I thought we could pawn off Moore to Minnesota for mcants. This really doesn't do anything for us in the big picture. It just gives us a wing.
Nicky Nix Nook wrote:In two years:

Thompson > Aldridge
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#16 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:15 pm

treis wrote:He can't really play either because he sucks so bad.

Nah, he'll get time now and he'll show he is at least a solid player. He can play both PF and C, too slow for one, too short for the other but he will be solid.

The deal saves the Kings over a million this year and next year combined.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,492

Post#17 » by RIPskaterdude » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:20 pm

Poor Williams. At least he was close to Parker when he was in Sacramento. Now he's off to Minnesota...
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,140

Post#18 » by GopherIt! » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:41 pm

I like it for MN.

The Wolves needed someone to help Love in the short term with Jefferson out and they accomplished that. McCants wasn't going to be brought back anyway. Shad could help as an instant offense guy off the bench but he still thinks of himself as a star player (which he is not.) It's hard to say if he will figure it out and accept his lot in the league. He seems to have a lot of pride.

Adding Brown's seven or eight hundred K for next year is fine. We have been in need of a PG that can pay quality defense.

Return to Trades and Transactions