Offseason deal: HOU-MEM-DET

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Offseason deal: HOU-MEM-DET 

Post#1 » by HeroicKennedy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:10 pm

Detroit trades: Richard Hamilton, Jason Maxiell
Detroit receives: Tracy McGrady, 2012 2nd round pick

Memphis trades: 2012 2nd round pick
Memphis receives: Jason Maxiell

Houston trades: Tracy McGrady
Houston receives: Richard Hamilton.

Why for Detroit?
Let's go through the scenarios
McGrady comes back healthy and plays pretty well:
- Let's say he gives you 18 points, 5 assists, 4 boards a game. Obviously not worth $23 million, but because he's a better facilitator than Hamilton, he's better to pair up with Stuckey who obviously isn't a true point but benefits by playing the position against small players (being able to post up guys like Rondo and Mo Williams will be big for our return to the top). Between the two of them, you should get 11-12 assists, which is actually a little better than Billups/Hamilton. Both are good on the ball players, and you have to remember that Kander has done a great job getting McDyess healthy again, and he's been one of our most consistent and hard working players over the past few seasons. And we can look to extend McGrady for a much cheaper price tag (3 years, $24-27 million seems fair).

McGrady comes back but isn't effective:
- Much like the Iverson deal, there's perks to if it doesn't work out. The Maxiell extension, while he's playing well right now, is looking like a mistake (4 years, $20 million). And while I think the Hamilton extension was fine (3 years, $34 million), this deal would allow us to still be players in the 2010 offseason, as it would take $23 million off a salary that would more than likely already be under the cap (since we'll have to revoke our Bird Rights of Iverson/Wallace/etc. to get the cap space. We could look at adding a Joe Johnson in the 2010 offseason, or let Afflalo take over the starting role (he's Bruce Bowen without the corner three and dirty tactics).

McGrady doesn't come back at all:
- Insurance foots the bill, Davidson doesn't pay a dime, plus everything mentioned in the previous post.

It'll only cut into about $6 million of their $20-23 million in capspace they could have. Leaving them available to add more players via free agency/trades.

Why for Memphis?
They get a high energy player for a 2nd rounder, even if his contract is a bit expensive. I don't see any reason why they'd turn it down.

Why for Houston?
They get the more consistent AND healthy Richard Hamilton, and while he did sign a contract extension, the final year isn't guaranteed. So the question becomes: would you rather pay Tracy McGrady one year, $23 million or Richard Hamilton 3 years, $34 million? Keep in mind that either way you'll have a ton of capspace for the 2010 offseason, it's just a matter of whether or not you'd want another $11-12 million in committed salary that year for a quality player like Hamilton.

There's also the fact that Hamilton is a very consistent playoff performer, and doesn't have the stigma that McGrady has.
Scorpion King
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Re: Offseason deal: HOU-MEM-DET 

Post#2 » by Scorpion King » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:42 pm

i am not sure houston would make that deal... isnt tmac contract expiring next year or the year after ???..... didnt hamilton recently sign a long term contract.... houston should let tmac contract expire and use the money to sign someone younger than hamilton is in 30's... if this deal happens detroit will have boat load of cap space for 2010 frenzy ...
N.O.R.E.
RealGM
And1: 240

Post#3 » by N.O.R.E. » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:06 pm

The Grizz get away with robbery here.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager

Post#4 » by HeroicKennedy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:46 pm

N.O.R.E. wrote:The Grizz get away with robbery here.

Not really. Maxiell is wildly inconsistent and going to be overpaid the next few years.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager

Post#5 » by HeroicKennedy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:49 pm

Scorpion King wrote:i am not sure houston would make that deal... isnt tmac contract expiring next year or the year after ???..... didnt hamilton recently sign a long term contract.... houston should let tmac contract expire and use the money to sign someone younger than hamilton is in 30's... if this deal happens detroit will have boat load of cap space for 2010 frenzy ...

Also, as stated, Hamilton's contract is not guaranteed for his final year. So he's under contract for three more years beyond this season, which really isn't that bad. I mean, he's 31 right now, so he'd be 34 when the contract expires and he's a very well-conditioned player.
RoxFan08
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#6 » by RoxFan08 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:54 pm

McGrady will be a 23 million dollar expiring contract this offseason, and will be worth significantly more than Hamilton, whether Tmac is able to play or not.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager

Post#7 » by HeroicKennedy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:10 pm

RoxFan08 wrote:McGrady will be a 23 million dollar expiring contract this offseason, and will be worth significantly more than Hamilton, whether Tmac is able to play or not.

Potentially. But this deal does save you $12 million, and you get a quality player back on a solid contract. I mean, I'm sure LAC could offer something around Davis and one of their bigs, but that would really hurt you come 2010.
RoxFan08
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#8 » by RoxFan08 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:28 pm

I was thinking it would be more valuable to just let him expire, frankly. We have a decent young core (Brooks, Lowry, Landry) and one of the best big men in the game (Yao) as the best wing defender (Battier) signed for that coming season. Coupled with 40 million in cap space (could be significantly less or more, depending on resignings and cap figures), Houston could be an attractive destination to the likes of Wade or Bosh.

Not saying we could or would get those guys, but either would be worth a LOT more than an aging Hamilton signed till 2012.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager

Post#9 » by HeroicKennedy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:41 pm

RoxFan08 wrote:I was thinking it would be more valuable to just let him expire, frankly. We have a decent young core (Brooks, Lowry, Landry) and one of the best big men in the game (Yao) as the best wing defender (Battier) signed for that coming season. Coupled with 40 million in cap space (could be significantly less or more, depending on resignings and cap figures), Houston could be an attractive destination to the likes of Wade or Bosh.

Not saying we could or would get those guys, but either would be worth a LOT more than an aging Hamilton signed till 2012.

But here's the thing: you'd still a ****ton of cap room either way, and while adding Hamilton means you're unlikely to sign Wade, you'd certainly be a much more attractive free agency destination if you're Brooks/Hamilton/Battier/<insert Bosh here>/<insert resigned Yao here>. Really, adding Hamilton won't prevent you from re-signing Yao and adding a max free agent, and you'd have a quality squad during 2009-2010 to boot.

I understand your reservations, but I think you should at least consider it, just because there's always the chance you completely strike-out in free agency and have nothing to show for it. Remember, there's 20 other teams with significant capspace in 2010, and you need to provide just as much incentive for Yao to come back as you do for bringing in new players.
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#10 » by red96 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:28 pm

I think its a fair deal and I think HOU would think about it. I really like Rip and I think he would do great under Adleman but he is 31 though( not old, not young either). But Morey said that HOU will try resign Ron this offseason. If we do, Ron will want a raise around Rip's salary or more and I dont know if we would have enough money for a Bosh type player in 2010. And HOU would have to be willing to pay over 30 million for just 3 players at the SG/SF signed past the 2010 season. Its like that right know with T-Mac's salary but he is of the books after next year and we couldnt pass up that Artest deal. Not to mention that we have Barry and Wafer(for cheap) at the wings. I would think that HOU would want to resign Von Wafer also. I like Rip but even without T-Mac we still have alot of depth at the SG.

But like I said I think that Rip would look great in a Rockets uniform and if Ron doesnt resign I kinda like it . Their is no guarantee that we get another star in 2010. Im on the fence on this one. If we knew If Ron would resign and for how much it would be alot eaiser to determine what the effects on the cap and team would be. Its just to early to tell if this works for HOU.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
AI2TOHOUSTON
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#11 » by AI2TOHOUSTON » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:38 pm

Houston isn't going to do this deal. T-mac may be injured, but he's expiring next year and that year is 2010. So t-mac is worth more than Hamilton.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#12 » by vege » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:01 am

=.= The AI gamble failed so we go and gamble on T-Mac next season? lol. Joe D would have to be very very dumb to make a move like that. T-Mac is done. Detroit's team is done. Uniting both will be a complete disaster. If you are high in 2010 draft and want the #1 pick that's a good plan HK.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager

Post#13 » by HeroicKennedy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:06 am

vege wrote:=.= The AI gamble failed so we go and gamble on T-Mac next season? lol. Joe D would have to be very very dumb to make a move like that. T-Mac is done. Detroit's team is done. Uniting both will be a complete disaster. If you are high in 2010 draft and want the #1 pick that's a good plan HK.

See, the doctors have said that there's not significant damage in his knee, and that he could return to close (not quite) to where he was 3-4 years ago.

The Iverson gamble failed for three reasons:
1. He's an undersized SG.
2. He doesn't play defense.
3. He has to split time with Hamilton.

With T-Mac:
1. He's a properly sized SG.
2. He's a pretty solid defender.
3. He wouldn't have to split time with Hamilton.

It's two very, very different situations. Besides, I don't think anyone will give us anything for value for Maxiell at this point.
Play_Smart!
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by Play_Smart! » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:10 am

Too late. I would have done this deal for Houston if it was offered b4 the deadline. In the summer it will be a totally different story. Not saying I wouldn't do this deal. But I'd like to see how this team performs in the playoffs then go from there.

That said, the trade isn't bad for Houston.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager

Post#15 » by HeroicKennedy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:17 am

Play_Smart! wrote:Too late. I would have done this deal for Houston if it was offered b4 the deadline. In the summer it will be a totally different story. Not saying I wouldn't do this deal. But I'd like to see how this team performs in the playoffs then go from there.

Wouldn't work during the regular season as Detroit would take on too much salary.
Play_Smart!
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by Play_Smart! » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:21 am

HeroicKennedy wrote:
Play_Smart! wrote:Too late. I would have done this deal for Houston if it was offered b4 the deadline. In the summer it will be a totally different story. Not saying I wouldn't do this deal. But I'd like to see how this team performs in the playoffs then go from there.

Wouldn't work during the regular season as Detroit would take on too much salary.

They can always throw in Sheed as a filler, ya know? :wink:
vege
RealGM

Post#17 » by vege » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:26 am

Sorry HK i still think the same thing. T-Mac is done. Physically and Mentally. I think it would be another epic fail. Would make Detroit a lotto team for the 2nd year in a row. Would take away most of Joe D credibility and would put us in a position where we would overpay for a crap free agent in 2010 since the top FA wouldn't want to come anywhere near Detroit.

Stuckey/RiP/Tay/Boozer/Chandler is a better option than bet in another former star who never led his former team anywhere. AI in fact is a better bet because he play his ass off. T-Mac is just a quitter.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,762

Post#18 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:51 am

I don't really think the AI experiment failed. I don't think the experiment is complete. If the Pistons swapped back AI for Billups right now, do you really think they would be beating LA, Boston and Cleveland? I don't think so. So it cost the Pistons one year to rebuild. I think this offseason they will be significant players in the trade market, get a couple of younger bigs to go with Stuckey, Prince, and maybe RIP, and they will be contenders again.

I really don't like going after TMac - I'd rather focus on Chandler, Kamen, Boozer, etc.
vege
RealGM

Post#19 » by vege » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:29 am

Yes theBigLip you pretty much said what i wanted to say. I think the AI experiment failed but i don't blame AI, i blame Michael Curry.

Return to Trades and Transactions