Toronto/Memphis/Phoenix Draft Day Deal (Barbosa to TO)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Toronto/Memphis/Phoenix Draft Day Deal (Barbosa to TO) 

Post#1 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:06 pm

Raptors Trade:
Roko Ukic $1,350,000
Kris Humphries $2,900,000
Nathan Jawai $736,420
Patrick O'Bryant $855,189
= 5, 841, 609 X 1.25 + 100,000
= 7, 402, 011

Raptors Get:
Leandro Barbosa $6,600,000

Suns Trade:
Leandro Barbosa $6,600,000
2009 Second Round Pick

Suns Get:
TPE
3 million Cash (Miami Deal) : Toronto
Nathan Jawai $736,420

Memphis Trades:
TPE

Memphis Gets:
Roko Ukic $1,350,000
Kris Humphries $2,900,000
Patrick O'Bryant $855,189
2009 Second Round Pick: Phoenix
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Raptors get their 2 guard that fits perfectly into their offense, also he is reunited with Marion and BC and we become a running team that Barbosa can thrive on off the bench.

Suns save about 6 million dollars which cuts their total salaries to 71 million. Sure they trade a second round pick but this draft is supposed to be very weak and Jawai replaces that second rounder. They also get cash to buy a late pick or use it in other ways but its a cost saving move this deal.

Memphis gets a 2nd rounder for taking the cap space but they get a good young backup PG and a PF to replace warrick and Humphris will cost half the cost and hes still only 24 same as Roko. They get depth something they lacked this season and it only takes up 4 million in cap space so they could still sign a FA for 10 million if they choose to
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Raptors Offseason:
- Resign Parker 2 million
- Resign Marion 7.5 million
- Resign Pops 1.5 million
- Sign Matt Barnes 4 million (Part of MLE)
- Sign Rasho (vet minimum)
- Sign Douby Minimum
- Sign backup C minimum

Calderon/Barbosa/Banks
Henderson(#9)/Parker/Douby
Marion/Barnes/Kapono
Bosh/Pops
Bargnani/Rasho/Minimum
Suns Depth Chart:
Nash/Holiday(Bought with cash)/Dragic
Richardson/Terrence Williams (#14)
Hill/Dudley
Amare/Amundson
Shaq/Lopez/Jawai

Memphis Depth Chart:
Conley/Roko/Jaric
Mayo/Buckner/Mcneal(Suns 2nd Round Pick)
Gay/MLE/Ross
Hill/Arthur/Humphris
Gasol/Darko/Haddadi
_
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,728

Re: Toronto/Memphis/Phoenix Draft Day Deal (Barbosa to TO) 

Post#2 » by gswhoops » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:19 pm

Neither Memphis nor Phoenix considers this deal. Memphis is not going to give up $4.5M of raw cap space for the steaming pile of garbage they're getting, and Phoenix isn't going to give up Barbosa for literally nothing.

If you want to acquire a desirable player, you have to give up something of VALUE, which Toronto doesn't.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#3 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:59 pm

well the suns wanted to dump barbosa to memphis for a second round pick this deal they get a better second rounder than 14 in the 2nd round because jawai is a decent prospect they also get cash to buy a 1st rounder I believe Memphis doesn't have a 2nd rounder and the suns wanted more that's why it didn't go through they save a ton of money and get cash+jawai

On a side note I'd be willing to add a pick swap with the suns #9 for # 14 in a deal like this

Why wouldn't memphis do it both roko+ hump are 24 and they add depth it's only 4 mill in salary and they get a 2nd rounder. Warrick will command a extension so hump replaces him he had one of the best PERs before his injury
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
bcortell
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#4 » by bcortell » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:18 pm

I mean seriously? You couldn't keep this in this thread- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=897810&start=0

I agree that Mem and Pho don't do it. Straight capspace is more valuable than the guys you have going to memphis, and Pho needs more incentive.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,728

Post#5 » by gswhoops » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:19 pm

Rapsobsessed7 wrote:well the suns wanted to dump barbosa to memphis for a second round pick this deal they get a better second rounder than 14 in the 2nd round because jawai is a decent prospect they also get cash to buy a 1st rounder I believe Memphis doesn't have a 2nd rounder and the suns wanted more that's why it didn't go through they save a ton of money and get cash+jawai

How do the Suns get a better second round pick? They GIVE UP a 2nd and don't get one in return. Jawai has shown nothing so far to be even worth a second round pick (he's managed, somehow, to have a negative EFF). At best, you could call Jawai and the PHX 2nd a wash. So basically, you are asking Phoenix to give up Barbosa for $3M cash. The whole "cash to buy a first rounder" argument is ridiculous when you're talking about a guy who's sold 2 of his last 3 first round picks.

On a side note I'd be willing to add a pick swap with the suns #9 for # 14 in a deal like this

That might get the Suns talking, depending on how much they like the guys available at #9.

Why wouldn't memphis do it both roko+ hump are 24 and they add depth it's only 4 mill in salary and they get a 2nd rounder. Warrick will command a extension so hump replaces him he had one of the best PERs before his injury

Hump is a negative-value contract. He's being paid $9M over the next 3 years and has never averaged more then 6 points or 4 rebounds a game. Before his injury this year, he was averaging about 4 and 2.5. Humphries gives Memphis nothing they couldn't get from a 2nd round pick like Taj Gibson, and he costs about 6 times as much. The whole idea that Hump is an asset needs to be re-assessed. As for Roko, I haven't seen him play much, but since Conley and Mayo are both capable of playing the point, I don't see a huge need for him in Memphis. The Grizz aren't going to give up raw cap space for guys they don't want or need just to facilitate Toronto getting Barbosa for a song.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#6 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:35 pm

well theres many variations of a deal with toronto/suns. I think Derozan is perfect for an uptempo team that needs a young SF with Hill aging. Kapono could be used in phoenix so taking out memphis theres two ideas one is easier to do but.

Raptors Trade:
Kapono
9th Rights to Derozan
Cash

Suns Trade:
Barbosa
Rights to Williams

Or

Raptors trade:
Hump
POB
Jawai
Roko
9th rights to derozan

Suns Trade:
Barbosa
14th rights to Williams

I think the Kapono deal is easier to do because salaries match and they save a year on Barbosas deal. Maybe playing with Nash will get him open looks and also with Shaq whos played with him before could work out well. I think Cash+Kapono+Derozan for Barbosa+Williams is a great deal for toronto and not sure what suns think of any of those.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#7 » by Downtown » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:37 pm

When are you going to give it a break Rapsobsessed7. You've tried this dribble repeatedly and posters have told you it won't fly yet here you return yet again. Do you really like being told you're wrong?

I'll say the same thing I said about the same trade you proposed before. The Grizzlies can find a backup pointguard in the draft, even in the second round a player like AJ Price should be available. Or with the Magic pick they might be able to land Patrick Mills or Darren Collison. They could even get someone like Bobby Brown from Minnesota for half of what Ukic makes.

The options for Memphis as far as a power forward goes are wide open. Draft one with what should be a top 6 pick. Trade down their pick and get a good one. Trade the pick outright for a really good one. Or go the way of free agency where the list of power forwards that are much much better than Humphries is long. Even though he's not starter material, rookie Darell Arthur has gained plenty of experience in his first season as the Grizzlies starter and should be a solid backup for them.

They also have both Darko Milicic and Haddadi as backup centers to Marc Gasol, who should log even bigger minutes next season with his rokie season now under his belt. What's the point in Patrick O'Brian?

Let me put it to you this way. You have Memphis taking on over $5mil in contracts. If they need big man depth they could just sign Pops Mensa-Bosu, who is better than Humphries already for half of what he makes. Or Ike Diogu, another decent backup power forward. They could sign a backup pointguard or draft one again, at half the cost of Ukic. And they surely would skip going after a center all together.

And you think a second round pick is something worth taking this deal on? Give your head a shake.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#8 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:39 pm

other memphis fans liked it in the gordon deal or a similar deal just you didnt, im fine with cutting memphis out but what deal would the suns do.
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#9 » by SideSwipe » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:57 pm

I don't know where the guys above got the impressions that PHX was going to dump Barbosa to MEM for savings and a second rounder, but he is absolutely ludicrous. Barbosa is loved, is on a great contract- that does make him tradeable, but that's because he is valuable. I think it would be, if anything, Hump and #9 for Barbosa. PHX saves $3mil/ year adds an additional hustle player, and grabs DeRozan at 9
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#10 » by rsavaj » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:26 pm

Suns say no quite quickly.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#11 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:53 pm

SideSwipe wrote:I don't know where the guys above got the impressions that PHX was going to dump Barbosa to MEM for savings and a second rounder, but he is absolutely ludicrous. Barbosa is loved, is on a great contract- that does make him tradeable, but that's because he is valuable. I think it would be, if anything, Hump and #9 for Barbosa. PHX saves $3mil/ year adds an additional hustle player, and grabs DeRozan at 9

Really its ludicrous?

It is my understanding that the discussions are underway to send our Brazilian Blur to Memphis, a team with only $52m on the books which allows them to take The Blur and not have to send back any players at all. You heard that right. We could trade Leandro for a 2nd round pick and that's exactly what might happen.

Memphis is in the driver's seat here. They know that the Suns are desperate to unload salary and are going to drive a hard bargain.

The Phoenix Suns are currently sitting with the 8th highest payroll at $75m this season and are looking at paying about $4m extra for being over the $71m luxury tax line.

Next season the Suns currently have under contract 10 players whose salaries total $76m, and that doesn't include Grant Hill or the other two players the team needs to have on the roster to meet the mandated minimum number of 13 players. That means you are looking at about an $80m payroll.

That's for a season in which it is widely anticipated that the luxury tax line will be lower than it is now. The Suns, if they make no moves, will be looking at a luxury tax bill that would easily be $10m.

What do you think the Suns ownership group -- in this economic climate, facing an almost certain decline in season ticket sales and sponsorship revenue -- is going to do about that? Would you want to pay $10m extra in tax money that goes directly into the pockets of franchise owners who are below the line for a team that has almost no chance of competing for a championship?

I didn't think so.

That brings us to Thursday's trade deadline and Leandro Barbosa. With it looking more and more likely that the Suns will hang on to Amare for the rest of this season, Leandro becomes the one expendable asset on the roster. A guy whose contract is a reasonable $6-$7m per year for the next 3 years. A guy who is coming into his own as a basketball player.

It is my understanding that the discussions are underway to send our Brazilian Blur to Memphis, a team with only $52m on the books which allows them to take The Blur and not have to send back any players at all. You heard that right. We could trade Leandro for a 2nd round pick and that's exactly what might happen.

two different articles its easy to say you wouldnt do a deal like this but your not the one writing the cheques i think this is exactly the deal the suns would do maybe with a pick swap and getting the better prospect but in my mind if their willing to terminate nashs contract to save money a deal like this is more than appealing

Suns owner Robert Sarver admitted during a national telecast on Thursday that he could break up the team this offseason, and it appears as though Steve Nash could be sent packing.

There's speculation that Phoenix could use an early termination clause to release Nash this summer. Doing so would save them $7 million on his 2009-2010 salary, according to the New York Post.

So in my mind if the suns are set on keeping nash/amare and being competitive. They need a upgrade at the 3 Grant Hill is getting very old and they need some youth there. a Kapono+9th+Cash for Barbosa+14th. They could go into next season with.

Nash/Holiday(Cash)/Dragic
Richardson/Kapono
Derozan/Hill
Amare/Amundson/Dudley
Shaq/Lopez

Derozan would give them a high flying 3 to replace marion and him+nash would make for some sweet highlights. Kapono also could be useful because he can hit the 3 in transition and they save 7 million because kapono has one year less. So again its easy for us to say we dont do this, but in this current economic state, when your writing the bills almost 6 million in savings+luxury tax turns into 12 million dollars in savings and i guarantee you something like that would appeal to suns ownership in this hard time.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,678

Post#12 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:06 pm

Every trade you post going to have Holiday or Aminu thrown around like its 18th century America?

Anyways, if you "bought" Holiday first and then traded him, I could possibly see them doing it. IMO I don't think they downgrade from Barbosa to Kapono (contract and skill) for a 5 pick jump.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#13 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:12 pm

Well thats what i was put in another trade but apparently their should be a rule about buying 1st round draft picks/trading them.

The reason i do put it in however is because BC mentioned on the Fan590 that he will look to acquire a late pick. Jrue Holiday is right around #22 where the Hornets pick and we have all heard about their financial troubles. I could also see another team earlier selling a pick as per what marc Stein said. Teams from 15 down will look to sell their picks, he said its a very good time to have cash and be a buyer and thats why i do have so many bought picks trade because its a likely scenario.

Rights to Holiday
Rights to Derozan
Kapono

for

Barbosa
Rights to Terrence Williams
positivetension
Veteran
And1: 1,126

Post#14 » by positivetension » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:15 pm

I'm going to stop reading RO7's threads. They are all too complicated and hypothetical. Toronto is not getting Barbosa for scraps and Memphis is not taking on crud for no reason.

I wouldn't be against Kapono or Banks/9 for Barbosa/filler.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,678

Post#15 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:17 pm

If thats the deal and not cash I think its good for both teams. Toronto gets another piece to try to right the ship and keep Bosh where Phoenix gets two young pieces if they decide to rebuild and a player who was at his best along side Shaq.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#16 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:23 pm

well see we can work around the deal. Id be interested in something like that depending on the filler not sure how highly you guys value Lopez, besides him i dont know what filler it would be. The 9th pick has a lot more value than people make it out to be, this draft isnt that weak, Derozan at 9 has huge potential to be a star and hes still young thats why i proposed the pick swap. The 9th/Kapono straight for Barbosa benefits the suns the most, Kapono will thrive with nash same with Derozan. Kapono was at his best with a penetrating PG and Nash would be perfect for him and especially in transition. He also did do his best with Shaq by his side, the 14th pick wont likely turn into a star. I dont see Terrence Williams becoming a star maybe a solid role player with good defense but not a star. Derozan has that potential to be a star especially coming on strong in the ladder part of the year.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#17 » by Prospect Dong » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:05 pm

I think the Memphis side of the deal could have worked last offseason, but salaries are likely to be so depressed now that guys like Roko and Humph have gone from neutral-value to mildly negative value.

The flip side of that is that the suns portion of the trade only works if the suns are really panicking. Are they? Well, it wouldn't be the first time they've come out and made a trade their fans swore blind they wouldn't ever touch.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#18 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:23 pm

what about this or something like it, i have two options. A july 1st deal where we send Anthony parker in a S&T

Raptors Trade:
Anthony Parker S&T 2.5 million a season
Roko Ukic
Demar Derozan
O' Byrant

Suns Trade:
Leandro Barbosa
Gerald Henderson or Terrence WIlliams

That deal works under the CBA and they take no bad contracts and get a solid vet off the bench in Parker.

Or

Raptors Trade:
Kapono
Derozan
O'Byrant

Suns Trade:
Barbosa
Lopez
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#19 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:56 pm

bump any suns fans reactions on those deals and if push came to shove i would do Kapono+9th for Barbosa depending on whos left on the draft board obviously.
LakeShowKobe24
Junior
And1: 0

Post#20 » by LakeShowKobe24 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:25 pm

DeRozan won't be there at 9 anymore. He's likely going 5-7 now. Changes the trade cause the difference in Kapano and Barbosa isn't worth the ninth pick now in this increasing weak draft. Suns Owner has stated publically his love for Barbosa anyway so I doubt they trade him for anything other than exp. contracts.
Pointguard01 wrote:Gortat will be a Maverick. Book it.

Orlando's not matching.

Return to Trades and Transactions