Duhon, Curry FOR Thomas, Udrih

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Ricepilar
Head Coach
And1: 73

Duhon, Curry FOR Thomas, Udrih 

Post#1 » by Ricepilar » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:27 pm

Knicks also throw the Kings 3 mil.

Why for Knicks?
Knock about 6 mil off their 2010 cap figure.

Why for Kings?
Upgrade their PG position AND save about 12 mil longterm.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: Duhon, Curry FOR Thomas, Udrih 

Post#2 » by loserX » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:32 pm

Hm. The problem is that Duhon expires this year...which means they either lose him for nothing (good-bye upgrade) or have to re-sign him (good-bye longterm savings). I suppose it is possible for financial reasons, but I'd think the Kings would (1) need to ensure they had a long-term PG outlook (presumably through the draft) and (2) need to see Curry play and stay healthy before they took him on. (As would be the case for any team.)
Ricepilar
Head Coach
And1: 73

Post#3 » by Ricepilar » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:44 pm

Well I dont think anyone's gonna see Curry play or stay healthy. Lets assume, for the sake of argument, that Curry would never play for the Kings or be part of the team. Let's also assume that Duhon wouldnt be part of their future plans.

Would the Kings pay 15 million (ie the difference b/w Curry's contract and Thomas' contract) to turn Udrih (and his 4 year deal) into Duhon (and his 1 year deal)?

How could they not? They save longterm and have a better season next year.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#4 » by Jose7 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:52 pm

Udrih is grossly overpaid. No way in a million years the Knicks take that deal. Walsh has said many times 2010 is a headliner but it's not only 2010. Beno Udrih's contract runs so long and he is a mediocre PG making starting PG money.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Bac2Basics
RealGM
And1: 3
Location: "Are you like a crazy person? I'm quite sure they will say so."

Post#5 » by Bac2Basics » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:08 pm

LoserX outlined some pretty good reasons for why Sacramento shouldn't pull the trigger on this.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.
~ Herman Melville
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#6 » by BrooklynBulls » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:33 am

The Knicks have GOT to stop taking long contracts on. I don't care if they win in terms of 2010 money. They've got to stop this perpetual cycle of overpaying for underachieving.

2010 just happens to be the year they get out from under the bulk of the poor contracts.
deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

Post#7 » by deviljets7 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:25 am

I'm sorry, but this OP looks like a no-brainer for the Kings. When you factor in the $3 million cash that was mentioned, here is the breakdown for the Kings:
2009/10: Save $1.27 million (though they'll have $1.73 million less in actual cap room)
2010/11: Lose $4.79 million
2011/12: Save $6.93 million
2012/13: Save $7.37 million

For good measure, they get by far the best player in this trade in Chris Duhon.

Unless they have plans to make a big FA splash in either of the next 2 seasons (unlikely with the state of the roster and the cost-cutting moves they've had to make), there's no reason not to make this move IMO.

Considering the Knicks' urge to get as much cap room for 2010/11 as possible and Dolan's willingness to pay the tax, I can see why they'd do this. But that is an awful lot of money to take on for less than $5 million in cap room.
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
skflives
Banned User
And1: 281

Post#8 » by skflives » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:16 pm

There is no way the Knicks make this deal. They give up the best players AND take on the longest contract.

Return to Trades and Transactions