Memphis/New Jersey

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant
And1: 5

Memphis/New Jersey 

Post#1 » by pardon_my_interruption » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:12 pm

To NJ

Darko Milicic/Greg Buckner/2009 1st (#27)

*Greg Buckner waived. $1 million cap number in 2009 and 2010.

To Memphis

Bobby Simmons/Sean Williams
I Am Awesome-O
Rookie
And1: 544

Re: Memphis/New Jersey 

Post#2 » by I Am Awesome-O » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:49 pm

Sean Williams could be had for almost nothing, PMI. Why give up our late 1st round pick and take on Bobby Simmons' **** contract to get him? Williams sucks anyway.
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by pardon_my_interruption » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:53 pm

I Am Awesome-O wrote:Sean Williams could be had for almost nothing, PMI. Why give up our late 1st round pick and take on Bobby Simmons' **** contract to get him? Williams sucks anyway.

Way I see it we need depth on the Wings. Simmons gives us that. His contract is expiring too. Same as Darko's. The difference in the two contracts is Buckner's buyout of 2 million.

As far as Williams goes..in the NBA a late first round pick IS almost nothing.

I'd pass on the guaranteed salary tied to that pick for a chance on Williams. We need a shotblocker.
I Am Awesome-O
Rookie
And1: 544

Post#4 » by I Am Awesome-O » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:00 pm

pardon_my_interruption wrote:Sean Williams could be had for almost nothing, PMI. Why give up our late 1st round pick and take on Bobby Simmons' **** contract to get him? Williams sucks anyway.

I guess I see where you are coming from. But I think we could get much more than Williams and Simmons with that Darko and the Orlando pick. There will be a lot of teams willing to dump good players for expiring contracts/immediate tax savings.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#5 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:02 am

Milicic doesn't do a whole lot to entice us, and believe it or not, the nets don't see Simmons' contract as a terrible thing. It's a decent-sized expiring that could be used to acquire a young stud on a large-ish contract (ahem, Deng, ahem) if the offer is right.

I'd rather just do SWAT for your 27th pick (from Orlando in the Rafer trade), but if you don't want that, it's fine.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

Post#6 » by deviljets7 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:07 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:Milicic doesn't do a whole lot to entice us, and believe it or not, the nets don't see Simmons' contract as a terrible thing. It's a decent-sized expiring that could be used to acquire a young stud on a large-ish contract (ahem, Deng, ahem) if the offer is right.

I'd rather just do SWAT for your 27th pick (from Orlando in the Rafer trade), but if you don't want that, it's fine.

I understand you're reasoning here, but if the Nets can't get that type of player, it will be due to a lack of trade chips rather than a lack of expirings. NJ would still have the expirings of Trenton Hassell, Jarvis Hayes and you can also view Josh Boone as an expiring. If you combine those three with Darko, you're still talking about $16 million in expirings at your disposal.

Also, the $2.7 million savings (assuming the buyout is $1 mil on Buckner) from a Simmons for Darko/Buckner swap is a nice bonus for a team in NJ's financial state.

The Nets should do this deal in a heartbeat. Memphis is probably overpaying IMO.
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#7 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:14 am

Buchner is $4m+ in 2009-2010 and again in 2010-2011 and 2010-2111 is a player option. I'm not sure how a buy out would work here, normally it's a team option with a buy-out option... I think

If that's the case, this deal is an easy no.
Otherwise, it's not a bad deal.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
deviljets7
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by deviljets7 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:31 am

Question I have for the Memphis fans, at what point does Buckner's contract for 2009/10 become guaranteed? I want to know if it is possible for NJ to potentially flip Buckner's contract in a separate deal later in the summer if they wanted to.
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by pardon_my_interruption » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:21 pm

If Greg Buckner is waived before November 30 (which undoubtedly he will by whoever's roster he is on), his contract becomes only partially guaranteed in the following structure.

Buckner's 2009-2010 salary is only partially guaranteed for an amount $1,062,038.

Buckner's 2010-2011 salary is only partially guaranteed for an amount $1,064,0516.

What's neat about his contract is we can trade on the full amount of the contract ($4 million) with the team receiving him only having to pay 2 million of it over the next two seasons.

With Memphis having capspace Buckner's contract is a nice chip for a team looking to move some salary.
deviljets7
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by deviljets7 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:27 pm

pardon_my_interruption wrote:If Greg Buckner is waived before November 30 (which undoubtedly he will by whoever's roster he is on), his contract becomes only partially guaranteed in the following structure.

Buckner's 2009-2010 salary is only partially guaranteed for an amount $1,062,038.

Buckner's 2010-2011 salary is only partially guaranteed for an amount $1,064,0516.

What's neat about his contract is we can trade on the full amount of the contract ($4 million) with the team receiving him only having to pay 2 million of it over the next two seasons.

With Memphis having capspace Buckner's contract is a nice chip for a team looking to move some salary.

Thanks.

This deal is a lot more appealing now that I know that NJ could conceivably use Buckner as a way to get out of Najera's contract to a team desperately seeking immediate relief. For example something like Ridnour + filler for Najera and Buckner.
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by pardon_my_interruption » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:31 pm

deviljets7 wrote:Thanks.

This deal is a lot more appealing now that I know that NJ could conceivably use Buckner as a way to get out of Najera's contract to a team desperately seeking immediate relief. For example something like Ridnour + filler for Najera and Buckner.

Well I thought Buckner's contract would be appealing to NJ initially. Moneywise it's good on both sides.

Darko - 7.5
Buckner - 2.1
#27 pick - 8.1
Total - ~17.7 million

Simmons - 10.5
Williams - 7.6
Total - ~18.1 million

I do like the idea of Ridnour to the Nets if NJ is willing to move Dooling I think it could be done.

Something along the lines of:

NJ gives:

Keyon Dooling/Bobby Simmons/Eduardo Najera/2010 second round pick

NJ gets:

Darko Milicic/Luke Ridnour/Joe Alexander

Memphis gives:

Darko Milicic/Greg Buckner

Memphis gets:

Bobby Simmons/Keyon Dooling

Milwaukee gives:

Luke Ridnour/Joe Alexander

Milwaukee gets:

Greg Buckner/Eduardo Najera/2010 second round pick (NJ)

This deal would shed about 5 million off the Bucks cap for 2009. Making signing Sessions/Villaneuva much easier to stomach.

Thoughts?

Return to Trades and Transactions