DAL MIL PHX NYK - I blew up the sun :(

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

DAL MIL PHX NYK - I blew up the sun :( 

Post#1 » by the_bruce » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Dal out: Stack, Dampier, 3m cash to NYK, 3m cash to phx
Dal in: Shaq

Mil out: Ridnour, Alexander, #10, S Stoudamire
Mil in: Nash

Phx out: Shaq, Nash, Amare, J Rich
PHX in: Alexander, Ridnour, Curry, dampier, Hughes, S. Stoudamire, Gallinari, #8, #10, 3m cash from nyk, 3m cash from dal

NYK out: Gallinari, Hughes, Curry, #8, 3m cash to phx
NYK In: Amare, J. Richardson, Stack, 3m cash from dal

Why for Dal?
get Shaq for shot at a title and doesn't impact long term finances.

Why for Mil?
I'm fairly certain Nash has a team option on his contract. Don't remember the savings but I think it is more than stacks. So they should be able to resign Sessions & CV without going over the lux. after not picking up the option. Nash can then go sign with whomever? NYK for the MLE?

Why for NYK?
They get 2 Good players. Amare maybe needs to do a s&t to get the value long term for them though. They give up #8 and Gallinari and in the process get rid of Currys contract, pickup 2 players who will fit the system, and actually save ~5-10m via luxury doubled money by using stacks buyout next season. Should leave them enough to offer 1 max contract in 2010.

Why for PHX?
They get an asset for each player. They trade so much salary they get well under the lux. I think they save 10-13m in direct salary in/out, plus ~5m that would have been doubled by the lux. So they save 15-18m next season(plus lux pool money)? I don't think Dampier is 2010 guarenteed unless he does something specific, but I could be wrong. Taking 1 year of curry won't hurt to much in a rebuild mode. This trade opens up so much salary that I think PHX could include an additional team and simply take 5m of salary + compensation, the 5th team wouldn't take back any salary so they could open immediate cap room this offseason to compete for FA's and phx would still stay under the lux.
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Re: DAL MIL PHX NYK - I blew up the sun :( 

Post#2 » by bringinhinkie » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:54 pm

if the knicks did this their cap would look like this for 2010..

j-rich: 14.5mill
amare: 17mill?
jj: 7mill
chandler: 2mill
total: ~40mill

thats assuming nate and lee are gone if you want one max/near max too.. i mean i couldnt see losing: danillo, the 8th pick, lee, nate and a ton of cap unless king james called me and said hed sign if i got amare and jrich.. cause if this happened and we didnt get him or wade (hypothetically), the team still wouldnt be a title contender.. a bootleg phx suns at best minus their best player at their peak

pg?
j-rich
chandler
amare
center?

who would be the max? cant have amare and bosh.. no point on Joe Johnson and j-rich.. nash wouldnt be a max and would be old (like i said, bootleg phx suns even if we got him and this deal).. dirk? not really a fit..

i mean this deal would leave us with no pg in an offense that requires a top pg, and would make us maybe a 50 win team and early exit in the playoffs..

no pt sucking for 10 years and getting all this cap just for future mediocrity

this is just from a knick standpoint.. i didnt read other teams POV's so dont shoot me if its even more unreasonable for other teams
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#3 » by rsavaj » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:18 pm

lol@anyone taking on Curry's contract
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#4 » by SideSwipe » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:30 pm

LOL for what NY returns for that package they give up also....

Curry needs to bought out. I think if he were being paid $4-$5 mil per year, he would still produce at a decent level, and people would be okay with him.

PHX doesn't get enough back for all of the pieces they give up. Quantity doesn't make up for quality, unfortunately.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#5 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:37 pm

IBTL
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#6 » by JES12 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:19 pm

NY gets a great package, but I think they would rather have Curry and the pick than Richardson in 2010.

Dallas may conciders this, but they would not add $6 mil (which can't happen anyways) to that.

Number 10 for Nash is not the direction Mil is going.

Phoenix is bettter off just waiving Nash.

Just a whole lot of mis-fitting pieces.
the_bruce
Analyst

Post#7 » by the_bruce » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:27 pm

KnicksMetsJetsNova wrote:if the knicks did this their cap would look like this for 2010..

j-rich: 14.5mill
amare: 17mill?
jj: 7mill
chandler: 2mill
total: ~40mill

thats assuming nate and lee are gone if you want one max/near max too.. i mean i couldnt see losing: danillo, the 8th pick, lee, nate and a ton of cap unless king james called me and said hed sign if i got amare and jrich.. cause if this happened and we didnt get him or wade (hypothetically), the team still wouldnt be a title contender.. a bootleg phx suns at best minus their best player at their peak

pg?
j-rich
chandler
amare
center?

who would be the max? cant have amare and bosh.. no point on Joe Johnson and j-rich.. nash wouldnt be a max and would be old (like i said, bootleg phx suns even if we got him and this deal).. dirk? not really a fit..

i mean this deal would leave us with no pg in an offense that requires a top pg, and would make us maybe a 50 win team and early exit in the playoffs..

no pt sucking for 10 years and getting all this cap just for future mediocrity

this is just from a knick standpoint.. i didnt read other teams POV's so dont shoot me if its even more unreasonable for other teams

My big picture thinking for NYK was that NY would follow this up with a S&T of Lee + Jefferies for expiring + late pick. Lee could be s&t to a team on a bargain contract for his production to a rebuilding team in need of front court production. It would add another 7m in cap space from those 2010 figures. Nash is a bit old but he could be a stop gap after MIL waives him. No team is going to offer Nash big money, so I think the MLE on a decently structured deal would land him in nyk and not harm max capspace if lee was moved with jeffereies. NYK also saves a bit of money via stack which it could parlay into some late draft picks. NYK can go high risk high reward on those picks and they will be fairly cheap so it won't impact cap that much.
the_bruce
Analyst

Post#8 » by the_bruce » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:45 pm

rsavaj wrote:lol@anyone taking on Curry's contract

There is actually a min salary requirement of ~43m, if PHX does do a super blow out(and imo that gives them the most bang for their buck) then taking on 1 extra year of useless salary actually helps them as they will be filling out roster spots with cheap production players on rookie scale contracts in 2010. Also a rebuild will take a few years so I doubt 2010 will be on the horizon for PHX, it won't really impact their ability to get a max FA or two if they so choose!

JES12 wrote:NY gets a great package, but I think they would rather have Curry and the pick than Richardson in 2010.

Dallas may conciders this, but they would not add $6 mil (which can't happen anyways) to that.

Number 10 for Nash is not the direction Mil is going.

Phoenix is bettter off just waiving Nash.

Just a whole lot of mis-fitting pieces.

The thing about richardson that is overlooked, is he is could moveable for an expiring straight up. Or used in a s&t in 2010 to match salaries with an incoming max FA. For example as a wolves fan I would consider foye + miller for Richardson, but I would be in the minority and mostly I'd be doing it because of foyes cap hold in 2010. But thats a different discussion.

Hmm. I though the rule was 3m per team outgoing. I'm to lazy to check the cba faq atm. I don't think Cuban would bat an eyelash if he thought shaq would help get get him a title. 3m is dooable, 6 may be too much and against CBA, but if there is one owner who would be willing to do this....it's cuban.

This is identical to the stack based MIL-DAL-MN deal except it uses nash instead of stack. I know most of those deals have only the pick or alexander + x, but I don't think the divide is that large.

They actually aren't. Waiving nash will save them 5m + 5m lux + 3m lux pool for 13m total. This deal alone cuts off 10 + 5m + 3m lux pool = 18m. It does this by the sheer volume of outgoing salary in relation to incoming salary. As I mentioned I think they could do a simple deal and stay under the lux, and give some cap space to a team and get a pick in return for even more assets. Prospects, high picks, and cash savings is a good place to start.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,775

Post#9 » by Baddy Chuck » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:05 pm

I'm iffy for Milwaukee. Nash is a GREAT talent but he is getting up there in age and doesn't really fit our system. Giving up an expiring, a prospect and a first might be to much for me to part with since Nash would likely leave in a year.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#10 » by JES12 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:46 am

bruceallen61 wrote:There is actually a min salary requirement of ~43m, if PHX does do a super blow out(and imo that gives them the most bang for their buck) then taking on 1 extra year of useless salary actually helps them
WRONG! See Kurt Thomas esce trades
/comment

Hmm. I though the rule was 3m per team outgoing. I'm to lazy to check the cba faq atm. I don't think Cuban would bat an eyelash if he thought shaq would help get get him a title. 3m is dooable, 6 may be too much and against CBA, but if there is one owner who would be willing to do this....it's cuban.

This is identical to the stack based MIL-DAL-MN deal except it uses nash instead of stack. I know most of those deals have only the pick or alexander + x, but I don't think the divide is that large.

1) It is $3 mil per team per trade. Anotherwards, Dallas can't do more than $3 mil for any 1 trade.

2) And If we trade Dampier & Stack to Shaq, that is $6.9 mil more salary, $6.9 mil more tax and concidering he would put us into the tax, there is more money from other team's payments not being included. Shaq is not $14 mil more than Dampier. Just doing the trade on its own w/o the cash should be all that it takes.

3) Cuban has went on record saying that he is not so concerned with 2010 (though it is an option) as he is with having high quality movable parts. A $21 mil expiring is not as movable as $2 mil guaranteed $7.25 mil expiring contract and a $12 mil expiring contract. Cuban is looking for better pieces than Shaq with Stack's contract.

That said, Shaq would be an okay plan B.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#11 » by WiscoKing13 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:15 am

take ridnour out and add gadz

Or else this deal doesn't help us if any way shape or form
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#12 » by trwi7 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:44 am

Just what Milwaukee needs. To get older and sacrifice more young players while still being at best fourth in the conference.

This is also a 4 for 1 trade where we're taking on the same amount of salary that we're giving up with an owner that won't go over the luxury tax. So how exactly are we going to field a full roster?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
the_bruce
Analyst

Post#13 » by the_bruce » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:56 pm

RingtheBell wrote:I'm iffy for Milwaukee. Nash is a GREAT talent but he is getting up there in age and doesn't really fit our system. Giving up an expiring, a prospect and a first might be to much for me to part with since Nash would likely leave in a year.

Nash is waiveable just like stack. I think the savings is around 5-6m. So MIL simply resigns sessions + CV and doesn't go over the lux. Alexander could be removed fairly easily as I don't think he carries much value outside of MIL.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#14 » by WiscoKing13 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:13 pm

bruceallen61 wrote:
RingtheBell wrote:I'm iffy for Milwaukee. Nash is a GREAT talent but he is getting up there in age and doesn't really fit our system. Giving up an expiring, a prospect and a first might be to much for me to part with since Nash would likely leave in a year.

Nash is waiveable just like stack. I think the savings is around 5-6m. So MIL simply resigns sessions + CV and doesn't go over the lux. Alexander could be removed fairly easily as I don't think he carries much value outside of MIL.

good points, I didn't know we could save on nash's contract.

But the bucks shouldn't give up that much to cut 5 to 6 mil.

I think you could just cut us out

*edit, what if we added a s&t trade with CV? could we pawn off bell's or gadz's contracts?
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
A-Town Connection
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#15 » by A-Town Connection » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Not a bad trade for Dallas, but I don't see them paying out the extra money. If Cubes is gonna be paying double on Shaq, then he won't want to fork over the extra 6 mill. Just my two cents.

Return to Trades and Transactions