Philadelphia/Memphis - Speights for #6 revisited

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant
And1: 5

Philadelphia/Memphis - Speights for #6 revisited 

Post#1 » by pardon_my_interruption » Sat May 16, 2009 11:22 pm

Following some commentary from Philly fans here is the new deal:

To Philadelphia

Greg Buckner/#6 pick/Darrell Arthur#35 pick

To Memphis

Mareese Speights/Louis Williams/2010 1st round pick (lottery protected)

*If obligation is not met in 2010 Memphis receives Philadelphia's 2011 1st round pick unprotected.

Why?

Originally I had proposed that the Sixers also send this year's #17 pick to Memphis, but instead I have them deferring that pick to 2010. The lottery protection assures that it's around the same range. In theory the Sixers should be better next year so there is no risk for them. For Memphis, being that Philly is in the Eastern Conference their pick is usually gonna be in the mid-late range even if they are a playoff team. Those teams usually make the playoffs with subpar records. Good risk for Memphis. Buying out Buckner saves them money. Keep their #17 pick this year to draft a backup center. Use the #35 to draft a shooter on the wings.

Sixers Draft choices:

#6 - Tyreke Evans (PA native)
#17 - B.J. Mullens
#35 - Danny Green

Grizzlies Draft choices:

#27 - Nick Calathes

Sixers

PG - Andre Miller/Tyreke Evans/Royal Ivey
SG - Andre Iguodala/Willie Green
SF - Thaddeus Young/Danny Green/FA
PF - Elton Brand/Reggie Evans/Darrell Arthur
C - Samuel Dalembert/B.J. Mullens/Jason Smith

Grizzlies

PG - Mike Conley, Jr./Nick Calathes/Jaric
SG - O.J. Mayo/Louis Williams
SF - Rudy Gay/Trevor Ariza (Kleiza)
PF - Marreese Speights/Hakim Warrick/FA
C - Marc Gasol/Darko Milicic/Haddadi

Grizzlies make the best market offer to Trevor Ariza or Linas Kleiza using their cap room. Both Denver and the Lakers would unlikely match firm offer sheets for either player given their cap situations.

Bring Warrick back on the Qualifying offer.

Memphis could also buy into the second round with cash or sign another low salaried free agent for depth using cap space.
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Re: Philadelphia/Memphis - Speights for #6 revisited 

Post#2 » by corwin » Sat May 16, 2009 11:26 pm

I think I mentioned the fact that #6 may not be much better than a mid- to late-first in your other thread since this is a flat draft devoid of high impact players. That makes Speights more valuable than your #6 pick IMO. I don't see where you can ask for Lou Williams and a future #1 as well. Sixers pass.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#3 » by Foshan » Sun May 17, 2009 12:06 am

^+1

lol when I read revisited I thought it might have improved. Philly is not giving up Speights and a pick for anything that Memphis throws together not named Mayo.
CB-Blazer
Head Coach
And1: 545

Post#4 » by CB-Blazer » Sun May 17, 2009 12:41 am

This is better, but I honestly don't see Speights being moved.

He has proven to be a very good prospect and they trade him for a pick only to hope the pick replicates?

Doubtful.....I mean its closer, but I just honestly don't see the Sixers moving Speights, especially with Brand's injury history.

Could you imagine a Starting line-up with Darrell Arthur? Eww.....

Maybe if Brand is lookin good, 6/Arthur for Speights.....but anything else is doubtful IMO.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#5 » by sixerswillrule » Sun May 17, 2009 1:28 am

The only reason to trade Speights would be in a package to help us acquire an established star. Someone like Ben Gordon. To trade him for a pick is pointless...
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#6 » by doctor him » Sun May 17, 2009 1:44 am

No from Philly. We have no interest in simply filling out the Grizzle starting 5.

Just keep the #6 pick and hopefully draft Jordan Hill.
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by pardon_my_interruption » Sun May 17, 2009 1:50 am

Ok..maybe we need to clarify some differences we see in Speights value.

He seems to be a very good prospect but not a dominant big by any means. I'm not sure if he even projects to be a legit starter in the NBA. By starter, I mean..starter on a good team.

Trading a top 10 lottery pick for Speights is a risky proposition for Memphis. Given the minutes he plays, his rebounding numbers (3.7 pg) are very low for instance. Contrast his numbers with Arthur's (4.6 pg) in similar minutes then maybe that puts that into better perspective. Memphis' problem is we need a more complete player at the position. Arthur is a decent rebounder, but not much of a scorer. In fact at this point nothing stands out about his game. Warrick is a proven scorer but doesn't provide much else. If you look at all 3 players, TODAY, Speights hasn't shown to be much more valueable than either. Also if you factor in the glut of PF's that the Sixers have with Brand, Smith, Evans, Speights, when Smith is back from injury, minutes could really become an issue, and that also will affect Speights' value in the market in my opinion.

From Memphis' perspective the #6 for Speights is a bit off in value. How it can be made up, I don't know. But I can't see Memphis going out of their way to try. At least not at this point in Speights career. Maybe once he has shown more.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#8 » by youngcrev » Sun May 17, 2009 2:05 am

I've got no real interest in trading Speights, especially for a draft pick (obviously 1 or 2, but that clearly wouldn't happen).

Dalembert punched his ticket out of town. I expect Speight to be starting next year next to Brand.
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by pardon_my_interruption » Sun May 17, 2009 2:08 am

youngcrev wrote:I've got no real interest in trading Speights, especially for a draft pick (obviously 1 or 2, but that clearly wouldn't happen).

Dalembert punched his ticket out of town. I expect Speight to be starting next year next to Brand.

I see.

Was not aware of the apparent desire to move Dalembert.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#10 » by youngcrev » Sun May 17, 2009 2:10 am

pardon_my_interruption wrote:From Memphis' perspective the #6 for Speights is a bit off in value. How it can be made up, I don't know. But I can't see Memphis going out of their way to try. At least not at this point in Speights career. Maybe once he has shown more.

Great, but you have to realize that you are going to need to overpay to get a team's young player in which they have no plans to move.
doctor him
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by doctor him » Sun May 17, 2009 2:21 am

pardon_my_interruption wrote:
youngcrev wrote:I've got no real interest in trading Speights, especially for a draft pick (obviously 1 or 2, but that clearly wouldn't happen).

I see.

I know our fanbase can be as irrational as the next. (By the way...tickets for Thad Young's Hall of Fame induction into the Hall of Fame for 2030 are selling out fast around here)

With that said...Speights has been compared to a young Amare Stoudamire in terms of his ability and ceiling.

He projects (after only 1 season) to be more than a decent starter.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#12 » by old rem » Sun May 17, 2009 4:07 am

doctor him wrote:

I see.

I know our fanbase can be as irrational as the next. (By the way...tickets for Thad Young's Hall of Fame induction into the Hall of Fame for 2030 are selling out fast around here)

With that said...Speights has been compared to a young Amare Stoudamire in terms of his ability and ceiling.

He projects (after only 1 season) to be more than a decent starter.

Speights game is similar to Amare...but he'll never be that good. The star quality isn't there. He may however become better than Chris Wilcox,who also has a similar game.That's not bad. He might become more than a decent starter. He projects as a good rotation player/borderline starter...which ain't bad at all. He CAN be a lot more ( not-however-Amare Stoudamire) I'd like to see GSW get him, but have yet to see the right deal.
CENSORED... No comment.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#13 » by sixerswillrule » Sun May 17, 2009 4:24 am

LaMarcus Aldridge?
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#14 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun May 17, 2009 4:34 am

Philly fans are wildin'. Speights isn't going to be a star.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#15 » by sixerswillrule » Sun May 17, 2009 4:45 am

Star, no. 18 and 9, yes. Potentially...
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 183

Post#16 » by UptownPhilly » Sun May 17, 2009 6:21 am

I could see Speights playing a role similar to Kenyon Martin when the Nets were in the Finals. He's very good on the fast break. If he adds some muscle to his frame he can give some players problem in the post, and he'll make plenty of highlight reels. His defense should improve, and I think he has the tools to become good at blocking shots.

I project his career totals can be:

16-18ppg
7-8 rpg
1bpg

BTW Philly passes
pardon_my_interruption
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by pardon_my_interruption » Sun May 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Roletagg wrote:I could see Speights playing a role similar to Kenyon Martin when the Nets were in the Finals. He's very good on the fast break. If he adds some muscle to his frame he can give some players problem in the post, and he'll make plenty of highlight reels. His defense should improve, and I think he has the tools to become good at blocking shots.

16-18ppg
7-8 rpg
1bpg

Really?

Jermaine O'Neal and Rasheed Wallace (two multiple time All-Stars) don't have those kinds of career numbers.

You might want to re-think that.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#18 » by no D in Hibachi » Sun May 17, 2009 2:09 pm

Washington could offer the #3 for Speights straight up and that'd be better than what Memphis is offering. Several posters on the Wiz board have discussed it. I doubt it would happen, but it'd be great value for both teams.
doctor him
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by doctor him » Sun May 17, 2009 3:12 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Philly fans are wildin'. Speights isn't going to be a star.

After 1 season...we don't know that. We'll know much more after season 2.

But let's flip the script. Is Brook Lopez going to be a star? I like him a lot. More than when he came out of college, and I think he's got a lot of potential. But he's not tremendously athletic. Is there much more to his game than what we've seen?

After 1 season...no one really knows.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#20 » by youngcrev » Sun May 17, 2009 5:21 pm

Roletagg wrote:I could see Speights playing a role similar to Kenyon Martin when the Nets were in the Finals. He's very good on the fast break. If he adds some muscle to his frame he can give some players problem in the post, and he'll make plenty of highlight reels. His defense should improve, and I think he has the tools to become good at blocking shots.

16-18ppg
7-8 rpg
1bpg

Really?

Jermaine O'Neal and Rasheed Wallace (two multiple time All-Stars) don't have those kinds of career numbers.

You might want to re-think that.

They are also top notch defenders, which Speights definitely is not. He has no trouble at all putting the ball in the net though.

Return to Trades and Transactions