Calling all teams with TPE's or who'll be under the cap!

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Calling all teams with TPE's or who'll be under the cap! 

Post#1 » by Spykes » Tue May 19, 2009 7:55 pm

Any team out there who has a TPE of at least 2 million dollars, would any of you be interested in Sergio Rodriguez for that TPE or just absorbing his contract if your team will be under the cap?

Please lemme know what team you're representing and if they would or wouldn't do that.
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Re: Call all teams with TPE's or who'll be under the cap! 

Post#2 » by RTM » Tue May 19, 2009 7:59 pm

I don't think the Pistons would have much interest. Maybe if we dealt Will Bynum as part of a larger deal.

I could see Memphis as a possibility.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#3 » by loserX » Tue May 19, 2009 8:00 pm

RTM wrote:I could see Memphis as a possibility.

After all the effort Memphis went through to bone Portland out of capspace last year, I'm not sure a deal of this sort is likely at all.
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#4 » by RTM » Tue May 19, 2009 8:02 pm

loserX wrote:
RTM wrote:I could see Memphis as a possibility.

After all the effort Memphis went through to bone Portland out of capspace last year, I'm not sure a deal of this sort is likely at all.

Forgot about that... Though it does make sense from a basketball standpoint (MEM needs another PG and has the ability to absorb Sergio).
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#5 » by NetsForce » Tue May 19, 2009 8:03 pm

Here's a list of teams with TPE's large enough to acquire Rodriguez (assuming that the TPE's listed in the ESPN trade machine are up to date):

Chicago
Indiana
Miami
Milwaukee
Orlando
Denver
Houston
Los Angeles (Lakers)
Oklahoma City
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 19, 2009 8:12 pm

While it would be nice to get a free PG for nothing like Sergio Rodriguez, Indy just simply can't afford to use that TPE to take him on. If we have interest in re-signing Jarret Jack, we're going to be too close to the luxury tax to take him on.

Now, if we somehow moved TJ Ford in some sort of deal where we got a contract like Jerry Stackhouse or Sasha Pavlovic in return, and waived their non-guaranteed deals, we might have a lot of interest in a possibility like taking on Sergio for absolutely nothing, albeit probably only if we don't take a PG in the 1st round this year.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#7 » by Wizenheimer » Tue May 19, 2009 8:14 pm

NetsForce wrote:Here's a list of teams with TPE's large enough to acquire Rodriguez (assuming that the TPE's listed in the ESPN trade machine are up to date):

Chicago
Indiana
Miami
Milwaukee
Orlando
Denver
Houston
Los Angeles (Lakers)
Oklahoma City

if it's before June 30, a lot more teams then that have TPE's large enough to absorb the contract...I see Charlotte, NJ, NY, SAC, & Hou could be added to the list

NY is an 'obvious' target because of D'antoni's system and Sergio's game

http://www.storytellerscontracts.info/resources/08-09teamsalaries.htm
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#8 » by Downtown » Tue May 19, 2009 8:18 pm

While Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins recently said they need to find a backup pointguard to Mike Conley, and while Rodriquez would make some sense, my preference would be for a bigger combo guard to add some size to the Memphis backcourt, such as Keyon Dooling.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Spykes » Tue May 19, 2009 8:30 pm

NetsForce wrote:Here's a list of teams with TPE's large enough to acquire Rodriguez (assuming that the TPE's listed in the ESPN trade machine are up to date):

Chicago
Indiana
Miami
Milwaukee
Orlando
Denver
Houston
Los Angeles (Lakers)
Oklahoma City

Thanks, that's more/less what I was looking for, but didn't know where to find it.

My main goal is to free up as much cap space as possible for the Blazers this summer. Sergio alone simply doesn't have much value and his contract is too small to return anything substantial anyway. Assuming the Blazers upgrade their PG spot via FA this summer, they'll have a glut of PG's and need to get rid of one. Sergio counts as 2 mil of guaranteed money against Portland's cap this summer and he wants out anyway. So my thinking is, it might be in everyone's best interest if the Blazers can find someone to take Sergio so that he doesn't count against their cap this summer.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#10 » by Wizenheimer » Tue May 19, 2009 8:37 pm

Spykes wrote:

Chicago
Indiana
Miami
Milwaukee
Orlando
Denver
Houston
Los Angeles (Lakers)
Oklahoma City

Thanks, that's more/less what I was looking for, but didn't know where to find it.

My main goal is to free up as much cap space as possible for the Blazers this summer. Sergio alone simply doesn't have much value and his contract is too small to return anything substantial anyway. Assuming the Blazers upgrade their PG spot via FA this summer, they'll have a glut of PG's and need to get rid of one. Sergio counts as 2 mil of guaranteed money against Portland's cap this summer and he wants out anyway. So my thinking is, it might be in everyone's best interest if the Blazers can find someone to take Sergio so that he doesn't count against their cap this summer.

the 2 million number is a little high...Hoopshype - boo/shamsports - yey!

for TPE's look here:

Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Spykes » Tue May 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
Spykes wrote:

Chicago
Indiana
Miami
Milwaukee
Orlando
Denver
Houston
Los Angeles (Lakers)
Oklahoma City

the 2 million number is a little high...Hoopshype - boo/shamsports - yey!

for TPE's look here:

Old habits die hard when it comes to using Hoopshype. They have him listed at 1.9m, sham has him listed at 1.5m.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#12 » by Wizenheimer » Tue May 19, 2009 9:10 pm

Spykes wrote:
Old habits die hard when it comes to using Hoopshype. They have him listed at 1.9m, sham has him listed at 1.5m.

yeah, considering Sergio is making 874,000 this season, Hoopshype's number actually violates the CBA

according to the CBA, Sergio's 4th year raise can be 80.4% over his 3rd year salary.
(874,000)(1.804) = 1,576,696

http://www.nbpa.org/cba_exhibits/exhibitB.php

it's not that relevant to the discussion except for the range of possible TPE's that cover the salary. If KP does the deal, I'd anticipate it would either occur before the draft or be part of a larger deal during the draft.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 385

Re: Calling all teams with TPE's or who'll be under the cap! 

Post#13 » by pad300 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:53 am

Spykes wrote:My main goal is to free up as much cap space as possible for the Blazers this summer. Sergio alone simply doesn't have much value and his contract is too small to return anything substantial anyway. Assuming the Blazers upgrade their PG spot via FA this summer, they'll have a glut of PG's and need to get rid of one. Sergio counts as 2 mil of guaranteed money against Portland's cap this summer and he wants out anyway. So my thinking is, it might be in everyone's best interest if the Blazers can find someone to take Sergio so that he doesn't count against their cap this summer.

If your goal is capspace this summer, you might want to also consider teams with partial guaranteed or team option contracts (that they want to move) this summer. I can think of at least 2 possible off the top of my head:

SAS - Bowen ($4 Million, guaranteed for $2 Million), Oberto ($3.8 Million, guaranteed for $1.9 Million)

DAL - Stackhouse ($7 Million, guaranteed for $2 million)

The major issue with most such contracts is that given how little Rodriguez is paid, you'd probably have to throw in another asset to make the trade work in the CBA. Also, the Blazers have a similar glut at SF/WIng. Would you be willing to move some of those players for capspace?
derriko
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#14 » by derriko » Wed May 20, 2009 1:49 am

no, i would keep all our wings except outlaw, and then moving him for capspace would be useless since we could just waive him straight out.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#15 » by andyhop » Wed May 20, 2009 2:22 am

If he wants out and the Blazers just want to dump him ,Is there a team back in Europe that would give him a deal similar to the one he is on now making a low or zero buyout possible to free up the cap space that way?
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley

Return to Trades and Transactions