Rubio to Portland (WAS & MEM)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Rubio to Portland (WAS & MEM) 

Post#1 » by NBAMAN2006 » Sun May 31, 2009 3:58 am

This is probably pretty unrealistic, because IMO Memphis is already enamored with Rubio. But, if they decide to stick with Conley, this is an idea. NOTE: Before any of these moves PDX trades Sergio Rodriguez to NYK for their TPE.

TRADE 1) Portland/Washington

Portland Trades
-Steve Blake (4M, unguaranteed contract is not picked up)
-The rights to Darren Collison (#24)

Washington Trades
-Darius Songalia (4.5M)
-DeShaun Stevenson (3.9M)
-The rights to Jordan Hill (#5)

WHY PORTLAND DOES IT
Helps facilitate a deal with Memphis and gets them a decent backup PF in Songalia.

WHY WASHINGTON DOES IT
They are having $$$ problems. This deal saves them loads of $$$. They also secure a great role playing PG in Collison, who is going to be a late round steal IMO.

TRADE 2) Portland/Memphis

Portland Trades
-Travis Outlaw (3.6M)
-Jerryd Bayless (2.1M)
-The rights to Jordan Hill (#5)

Memphis Trades
-Greg Buckner (4.1M)
-The rights to Ricky Rubio (#2)

WHY PORTLAND DOES IT
They get their franchise PG. I have a feeling that Pritchard loves Rubio, and here he gets him. I love the idea of a Rubio/Roy backcourt. Its too good to be true. Buckner isnt as huge a negative as some make him out to be. His deal is unguaranteed this summer and next, so he can be let go if we want. But, I like him as a #3 guard/foreward. NOTE: The Blazers re-sign Blake to a vet minimum deal, draft Jeff Adrian at #32 & Rodrigue Beaubois at #38

PG- Ricky Rubio/Steve Blake
SG- Brandon Roy/Rudy Fernandez/DeShaun Stevenson
SF- Martell Webster/Nicolas Batum/Greg Buckner
PF- LaMarcus Aldridge/Darius Songalia/Jeff Adrian
C- Greg Oden/Joel Pryzbilla

WHY MEMPHIS DOES IT
They decide to cash in on the Rubio train. As Conley is a nice young PG, they can afford to do a deal like this. In Hill, they get a very productive PF prospect with great measurables and high potential. The addition of Bayless gives them a combo guard who is likley to fit well with Mayo. Finally, they get Outlaw, who they have apparently coveted for quite some time. NOTE: The Grizzlies sign David Lee to a 8M deal, Ronnie Price to a 2M deal & draft Danny Green with #27.

PG- Mike Conley Jr./Jerryd Bayless/Ronnie Price
SG- OJ Mayo/Danny Green/Marko Lima
SF- Rudy Gay/Travis Outlaw
PF- David Lee/Jordan Hill/Darrell Arthur
C- Marc Gasol/Darko Millicic/Hamed Haddai
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Re: Rubio to Portland (WAS & MEM) 

Post#2 » by Wizenheimer » Sun May 31, 2009 4:47 am

the first trade doesn't work. Portland has too much salary coming in. They won't have capspace till July and that deal needs to be done well before the draft, so the entire plan is kaput

besides, even if it was Blake and Outlaw for Etan Thomas and Stevenson, it's really unlikely the Wiz would be willing to part with the 5th pick

There is simply no way Portland gets up that high in the draft without give up Rudy, and even then the chances would be small.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#3 » by Coxy » Sun May 31, 2009 4:50 am

Hope that didnt take you too long to write up, cause it fails from the beginning.....
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#4 » by noobcake » Sun May 31, 2009 4:51 am

Every trade on RealGM ends up with Portland making out like bandits.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#5 » by mohammed10 » Sun May 31, 2009 5:19 am

Washington easily declines.

Dropping from 5 to 24 is too much just to get Steve Blake and some cap relief.

Sorry, but I think our GM would rather move into lux tax before doing this deal.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#6 » by Dat2U » Sun May 31, 2009 5:39 am

Wizenheimer wrote:There is simply no way Portland gets up that high in the draft without give up Rudy, and even then the chances would be small.

mohammed10 is right. The Wizards would rather add talent and exceed the luxury tax then sell off a top 5 pick for pennies on the dollar.

But in response to your quote above. I'd personally love to acquire Rudy and would be willing to give up the #5 to do so.

What about this:

Blazers trade:

#24th pick - '09 draft
SG Rudy Fernandez
PG Steve Blake

Wizards trade:

#5th pick - '09 draft
SG DeShawn Stevenson
PG Javaris Crittenton
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#7 » by Jsun947 » Sun May 31, 2009 6:45 am

I think if Rudy was in this draft he might even go #2 above Rubio, especially given what we now know after his rookie year.

I certainly wouldn't trade Rudy straight up for Rubio right now much less give up extra assets and take on bad contracts in the process.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#8 » by Prospect Dong » Sun May 31, 2009 10:07 am

Jsun947 wrote:I think if Rudy was in this draft he might even go #2 above Rubio, especially given what we now know after his rookie year.

I certainly wouldn't trade Rudy straight up for Rubio right now much less give up extra assets and take on bad contracts in the process.

Portland, these are your fans.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#9 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun May 31, 2009 10:13 am

Prospect Dong wrote:
Jsun947 wrote:I think if Rudy was in this draft he might even go #2 above Rubio, especially given what we now know after his rookie year.

:rofl:

This fits right in with the quote from your sig.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
thegreatblaze
Banned User

Post#10 » by thegreatblaze » Sun May 31, 2009 10:40 am

Prospect Dong wrote:

lol yeah, I gotta admit that was pretty damn ridiculous.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,489

Post#11 » by dms269 » Sun May 31, 2009 11:28 am

I just don't understand the reasoning of sending Bayless to Memphis. Don't they have Conley and aren't they trading away Rubio, so adding another pg (or sg if you say he is a combo, but then they have Mayo) kinda redundant since he won't have that much value to memphis?
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#12 » by Wizenheimer » Sun May 31, 2009 3:04 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:There is simply no way Portland gets up that high in the draft without give up Rudy, and even then the chances would be small.

mohammed10 is right. The Wizards would rather add talent and exceed the luxury tax then sell off a top 5 pick for pennies on the dollar.

But in response to your quote above. I'd personally love to acquire Rudy and would be willing to give up the #5 to do so.

What about this:

Blazers trade:

#24th pick - '09 draft
SG Rudy Fernandez
PG Steve Blake

Wizards trade:

#5th pick - '09 draft
SG DeShawn Stevenson
PG Javaris Crittenton

I think Rudy's value is probably fairly close to the #5 pick, if not higher, especially if all the assessments about the quality of this draft class is correct. So giving up both Rudy and Blake and taking back Stevenson is just something the Blazers wouldn't do. They aren't going to give up Rudy and take back a bad contract.

And in reality, if that #5 pick couldn't address Portland's needs, then Rudy has more value to Portland then the pick. Honestly, I just don't see any player that would last till 5 that would come in next season and play any better for Portland then Rudy would.
RudyGay22
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#13 » by RudyGay22 » Sun May 31, 2009 5:15 pm

Sign Grizzlies up for this deal...
yungal07
Banned User

Post#14 » by yungal07 » Sun May 31, 2009 5:32 pm

Jennings could come in and help the Blazers immediately IMO. So could Stephen Curry.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#15 » by JD45 » Sun May 31, 2009 6:04 pm

I think the Wiz would want a lot more for #5.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#16 » by Wizenheimer » Sun May 31, 2009 6:06 pm

yungal07 wrote:Jennings could come in and help the Blazers immediately IMO. So could Stephen Curry.

debatable, but the point is that Rudy helped the Blazers a lot already and would continue to do so in the future. That's a definite. Jennings or Curry? that's uncertain

Now, if Portland's GM determined that either of those guys would become Portland's PG of the future, then the dynamic changes some. Then something like Rudy & Sergio for the 5th and Pecherov becomes worth considering from portland's perspective. Or Rudy, Sergio & the 24th for Nick Young and the 5th. I don't know if it would be considered from Washington's perspective though.
qclakers
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#17 » by qclakers » Sun May 31, 2009 6:11 pm

I have seen a whole lot of Rubio to POR deals and I think it is silly. This is a team that is ready to start contending. They are looking for veterans to add to the youth they already have. Even though Rubio has been one of the most clutch and poised 19 yr olds in int competition he still will have an adjustment period.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#18 » by PDXKnight » Sun May 31, 2009 7:25 pm

noobcake wrote:Every trade on RealGM ends up with Portland making out like bandits.

I suppose you haven't seen every trade then.
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#19 » by Jsun947 » Sun May 31, 2009 7:48 pm

yungal07 wrote:Jennings could come in and help the Blazers immediately IMO. So could Stephen Curry.

Rudy was the best basketball player on DKV...

Jennings could barely make it off the bench in Europe. Rudy won awards and titles as one of the top stars in the league, helped carry his team to the silver medal in the Olympics, and made positive contributions in a full NBA season.

What gives you any form of logical thought that Jennings would be a better basketball player then Rudy?

Stephen Curry, great. A small SG, non point guard. Hes not quick nor good defensively. Sounds like Bayless but with less physical tools. That is exactly what we need...

You put Rudy Fernandez on any of these college teams or euro teams and he out performs any of these lottery picks with the exception of Blake Griffin.
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#20 » by Leto » Sun May 31, 2009 7:55 pm

Jamie Carey was the best basketball player on the UT women's team. Rudy is marginal---at best. He doesn't rebound, pass or defend. Basically, if he's not hitting threes, he shouldn't be on the floor.

Return to Trades and Transactions