ATL/WAS/DAL Rumors about J Smith

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

qclakers
Rookie
And1: 1

ATL/WAS/DAL Rumors about J Smith 

Post#1 » by qclakers » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:19 pm

Rumor has it that due to financial concerns and upcoming free agents that ATL is looking to move Josh Smith. i think this might help out all involved.

ATL trades: J Smoove
ATL receives: Stack, Shawne Williams, #5

Why for ATL? This saves them money right away with Stack's unguarenteed deal, gets them an ok young player in Williams who can play the 3 or 4, and they can grab Johnny Flynn/Jordan Hill/Evans with the #5.

WAS trades: Jamison, #5
WAS receives: Smith

Why for WAS? They get younger, more athletic and much better on D. They also save about $4 mill this year between the diff of contracts and the #5's salary. Also they would still have 2 big expirings to add another piece if they wanted.

DAL trades: Stack, Williams
DAL receives: Jamison

Why for DAL? They get a good vet 3 who is very versatile and should fit well with Dirk. They get a major upgrade in talent without losing any and still have Damps deal for the deadline. Howard moves to the 2 and gives them a nice starting 5. Damp/Dirk/Jamison/Howard/Kidd or they can make more moves with Damp and/or Howard.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Re: ATL/WAS/DAL Rumors about J Smith 

Post#2 » by Pointguard01 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:31 pm

No for Dallas. We dont want Jamison. been there, done that.
daddyfivestar
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#3 » by daddyfivestar » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:40 pm

Who pays the lump sum 8 mill to Smoove for saying yes? Washington?
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#4 » by SideSwipe » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:41 pm

Hey there QC. I like it for DAL, I think they would do it, if they could. However, I think WAS overpays for Smith. I don't think that given Smoove's offensive efficiency that he is worth giving up the #5 and Jamison to get him. DAL probably need to put their pick into the deal and send it to WAS, even then something else might need to go WAS's way. It would be Jamison, #5 for Smoove and the #22. I still don't think that would happen, even with Smith's great weakside defense.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#5 » by 2011Champs » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:44 pm

I would want a package sending Josh Smith to Dallas. No thanks to Jamison. I liked him in Dallas the first time around but I want Dallas to get younger while still winning.
qclakers
Rookie

Post#6 » by qclakers » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:44 pm

Pointguard01 wrote:No for Dallas. We dont want Jamison. been there, done that.

You know I totally forgot he used to be a MAV.
Branduil
Rookie
And1: 342

Post#7 » by Branduil » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:46 pm

qclakers wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:No for Dallas. We dont want Jamison. been there, done that.

You know I totally forgot he used to be a MAV.

We didn't. :-?
jtmoney
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by jtmoney » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:46 pm

Atlanta gets screwed in that deal. We just got done rebuilding and don't need to start again.
qclakers
Rookie

Post#9 » by qclakers » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:02 pm

jtmoney wrote:Atlanta gets screwed in that deal. We just got done rebuilding and don't need to start again.

Well you need to trade owners! This is coming from ATL sources.
niffoc4
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#10 » by niffoc4 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:44 pm

qclakers wrote:
jtmoney wrote:Atlanta gets screwed in that deal. We just got done rebuilding and don't need to start again.

really? THe part of the article said the rumor was coming from 'league sources.' Which is MUCH more vague than coming out of Atlanta. Not to defend the Spirit or anything, but the ownership is in their current formation b/c they wanted Joe Johnson. I think that transaction turned out ok.

I don't think the Hawks are interested in Shawne Williams, and if they trade Smith it is probably for a starting PG or C who either is or is likely to be a above average starter/star. So, if he dealt for the #5 pick I'd expect it to be contingent on Rubio/Thabeet or some PG Sund falls in love with. In other words not very likely. Smith is the #2/3 scorer on the Hawks and best defender. I'd probably value him over any Hawk but JJ, but that may be me.
qclakers
Rookie

Post#11 » by qclakers » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:08 pm

niffoc4 wrote:
qclakers wrote:

really? THe part of the article said the rumor was coming from 'league sources.' Which is MUCH more vague than coming out of Atlanta. Not to defend the Spirit or anything, but the ownership is in their current formation b/c they wanted Joe Johnson. I think that transaction turned out ok.

I don't think the Hawks are interested in Shawne Williams, and if they trade Smith it is probably for a starting PG or C who either is or is likely to be a above average starter/star. So, if he dealt for the #5 pick I'd expect it to be contingent on Rubio/Thabeet or some PG Sund falls in love with. In other words not very likely. Smith is the #2/3 scorer on the Hawks and best defender. I'd probably value him over any Hawk but JJ, but that may be me.

Dont get me wrong, I wouldn't do it either. I was just basing it off the article as a possibilty and if that was the case getting the 5th pick and instant $ savings would probably be good return for what they were looking for. I really like Smith. I love the shot blocking and his athletism. And I can see why you wouldnt want the pick either since the FO doesn't have the best history with picks. I am curious if the local media has reported anything on JJ? Is he also on his way out ala Bosh, Amare, etc.? Or they going to extend him?

Return to Trades and Transactions