GSW/Denver: Lots to love and hate...

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Re: GSW/Denver: Lots to love and hate... 

Post#21 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:31 pm

turk3d wrote:Pretty perceptive for a non-Warrior fan. We do have a pg now. Stephen Curry and AC Law looks pretty decent as a backup. Curry did pretty well that Phoenix game.
This is basically the point of this trade. What do you do when your biggest and longest contract is not the best player at his position? We all know the problems associated with having an under-size SG. Nellie is going to spend the beginning of this season figuring out if Curry and Monta can indeed play next to each other but I think the answer is going to be no. So then what do you do? I guess I'm all for making Monta the first guard off the bench but I'm not sure he'd stomach it. If so, then great, forget this trade. Get rid of Jax and Maggs instead. Best of luck with that.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#22 » by Jimmy76 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:34 pm

eslr wrote:Assuming GS were silly enough to do this, the Nuggets would probably package Jackson with Lawson (lawson wouldn't be needed with Monta around) to try and get some sort of halfway decent PF back.

Nuggets are smoking ten joints on mount everest high on Lawson i doubt they trade him
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#23 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:36 pm

Ukraine Train wrote:The W's hang up and say never call us again.

1) Randolph is the W's starting PF so they have no need for KMART.
2) Monta Ellis has way more value than Afflolo or JR Smith.
Please read ALL of my explanations before posting. Kmart would be backing up Ant. Ellis does have way more value than those guys but he's also on a far larger contract. If you have a guy you have trouble fitting into your rotation who also has the biggest longest contract on the team you're at a bit of a disadvantage when trading him. Once again, this is all predicated on Curry taking all the starting PG minutes.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#24 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:37 pm

VintaGe36 wrote:People need to stop portraying Kenyon Martin as a "burden" contract.
Though to a team trading for him, he might be, when he's not to the team he's currently on(he's overpaid, but fills a pretty important role), you cannot call it a "favor" by trading for him.
I hope you don't think I'm saying he's a burden contract? I think he's overpaid and the numbers prove it but I think he is a very useful piece on a good team. And giving up Monta and Jax for him isn't exactly underpaying.
The hottest of takes...
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#25 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:44 pm

eslr wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote: Jax is a great teammate on a veteran, playoff bound team.

Like taking his teammates to clubs to start fights and commit felonies during training camp?

Regardless, it's been hashed over a million times...he is a god awful fit next to Melo. JR Smith is a consummate fit next to Melo and Billups. End of story.

Oh, and you are effing clueless about how the Nuggets view JR Smith. First of all, Stephen Jackson taking all his minutes is hardly a good thing for the team. Secondly, Denver views JR, Melo, and Nene as the core of this franchise for the next 5 years. He is one of the best values in the league as well, and the front office hardly sees letting him walk as "appealing". That's just ignorance.
I don't care what Denver does with or how they view JR, he's not involved in this trade. But if you think he's better than Jax you're crazy. Jax is a perfect 3rd scoring option on a playoff team. There is a reason that Duncan called him the best teammate he ever had. You win championships when Jax is your 3rd option. Why would Jax be a poor fit with Melo and Billups? Doesn't Melo get double-teamed ever? Wouldn't it be nice to have a perimeter shooter to kick it to? One that also can pass and play defense? Who is your lock-down perimeter defender right now? Jax would become that guy.
The hottest of takes...
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#26 » by turk3d » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:51 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
turk3d wrote:Pretty perceptive for a non-Warrior fan. We do have a pg now. Stephen Curry and AC Law looks pretty decent as a backup. Curry did pretty well that Phoenix game.
This is basically the point of this trade. What do you do when your biggest and longest contract is not the best player at his position? We all know the problems associated with having an under-size SG. Nellie is going to spend the beginning of this season figuring out if Curry and Monta can indeed play next to each other but I think the answer is going to be no. So then what do you do? I guess I'm all for making Monta the first guard off the bench but I'm not sure he'd stomach it. If so, then great, forget this trade. Get rid of Jax and Maggs instead. Best of luck with that.

I think once Jacks gone, it's going to be Monta and Curry (if he proves he can handle it). Nellie's always willing to sacrifice size for speed and quickness. Once they learn how to play together, they'll be fine, both of them being in realty combo type guards. The key will be if Nellie decides to go big at the 4 and 5 majority of the time as with Biedrins, Randolph and Turiaf getting the majority of the minutes at those positions, there shot blocking ability will compensate for Monta/Curry's lack of size. This will be an extremely fast team and will cause massive matchup problems for the other teams big men.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#27 » by loserX » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:53 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:I don't care what Denver does with or how they view JR, he's not involved in this trade. But if you think he's better than Jax you're crazy. Jax is a perfect 3rd scoring option on a playoff team. There is a reason that Duncan called him the best teammate he ever had. You win championships when Jax is your 3rd option. Why would Jax be a poor fit with Melo and Billups? Doesn't Melo get double-teamed ever? Wouldn't it be nice to have a perimeter shooter to kick it to? One that also can pass and play defense? Who is your lock-down perimeter defender right now? Jax would become that guy.

May want to review Jackson's (and Smith's) 3-point shooting percentages before you go too far with that one.
eslr
Assistant Coach
And1: 25

Post#28 » by eslr » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:59 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote: But if you think he's better than Jax you're crazy.

I never said that. It's debatable as to who is better, but it has been beaten to death in the last 2 months on here so lets not get into it.
Jax is a perfect 3rd scoring option on a playoff team. There is a reason that Duncan called him the best teammate he ever had. You win championships when Jax is your 3rd option.

Maybe in 2002, but a felony, and multiple off the court issues later times have changed. And when exactly did Duncan call him the "best teammate i've ever had"? Even if he did say it, I'm sure he was speaking in hyperbole.....you honestly think he was a better teammate than the admiral?
And there's a reason why every team since has ended up viewing Jax as a cancer.

Why would Jax be a poor fit with Melo and Billups?

He needs the ball to be effective. Scores in the same spots as Melo. Plays the same position as Melo. Inefficient scorer. Inconsistent shooter. TO prone.
Doesn't Melo get double-teamed ever? Wouldn't it be nice to have a perimeter shooter to kick it to?

Uh, yes. That would be nice. Let me think.....who is one of the best spot up shooters in the NBA? Oh....JR Smith.
Who is your lock-down perimeter defender right now?

The same guy you called the next Bruce Bowen earlier in this thread.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#29 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:24 pm

loserX wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:I don't care what Denver does with or how they view JR, he's not involved in this trade. But if you think he's better than Jax you're crazy. Jax is a perfect 3rd scoring option on a playoff team. There is a reason that Duncan called him the best teammate he ever had. You win championships when Jax is your 3rd option. Why would Jax be a poor fit with Melo and Billups? Doesn't Melo get double-teamed ever? Wouldn't it be nice to have a perimeter shooter to kick it to? One that also can pass and play defense? Who is your lock-down perimeter defender right now? Jax would become that guy.

May want to review Jackson's (and Smith's) 3-point shooting percentages before you go too far with that one.
Fixed.
The hottest of takes...
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#30 » by loserX » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:28 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
loserX wrote:

Fixed.

No it isn't fixed, because Jackson is a lousy perimeter shooter. Out of 130 players who took enough 3-pointers to qualify last year, Jackson ranked 114th in 3-pt %, and right about his career average. So he doesn't fit the category either. That's what I was getting at.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a terrible perimeter shooter to kick it to? One that also can pass and play defense?

NOW it's fixed.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#31 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:38 pm

eslr wrote:

He needs the ball to be effective. Scores in the same spots as Melo. Plays the same position as Melo. Inefficient scorer. Inconsistent shooter. TO prone.
But this is the thing, Jax works best by far when he doesn't have the ball in his hands. His TO #s would go waaay down. With Denver he becomes what he does best, a spot shooter. As far as position, he's a swingman and wouldn't ever get in the way of Melo because Melo works all over the court while Jax is strictly a perimeter shooter and won't venture inside if he doesn't have the ball in his hands. Take the ball out of Jax's hands and give it to Billups and Melo and Monta for that matter if this trade were to happen and Jax becomes the perfect player for your team. Who else is going to guard Dirty Dirk?

The fact that neither team's fans likes this trade means to me that's it's a good trade. Fans always want their team to get something for nothing in these trade scenarios and so a bad trade is when one team's fans are all for it and the other team feels fleeced. You gotta lose something you want to gain something you need and this trade does that for both teams.
The hottest of takes...
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#32 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:26 am

J Smitty wrote:Neither team touches this. It's obviously better value wise for Denver, based solely on talent alone. But as far as fit goes, it's pretty terrible for Denver. Their frontcourt becomes extremely shallow, while creating a bigger log jam in the backcourt, with players who would have no real role with the Nuggets anyway. Doesn't make any sense for either team.

+1
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
eathy
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#33 » by eathy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:12 am

People need to stop with the Jackson to Denver trade.

You can even watch youtube highlights of Melo/SJax to know how awful those 2 would be at the sametime on the court.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#34 » by The Rebel » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:24 am

Has it already been a week, I swear I just saw a shotem up Jackson to Denver trade a few days ago. By the way i still don't want Jackson anywhere near the Nuggets. And the Warriors can also keep their overpaid moped crashing malcontent combo guard. This trade does nothing to make Denver a better team now or in the future.
eslr
Assistant Coach
And1: 25

Post#35 » by eslr » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:27 am

thinkingwarriors wrote:
eslr wrote:

But this is the thing, Jax works best by far when he doesn't have the ball in his hands. His TO #s would go waaay down. With Denver he becomes what he does best, a spot shooter. As far as position, he's a swingman and wouldn't ever get in the way of Melo because Melo works all over the court while Jax is strictly a perimeter shooter and won't venture inside if he doesn't have the ball in his hands. Take the ball out of Jax's hands and give it to Billups and Melo and Monta for that matter if this trade were to happen and Jax becomes the perfect player for your team. Who else is going to guard Dirty Dirk?

The fact that neither team's fans likes this trade means to me that's it's a good trade. Fans always want their team to get something for nothing in these trade scenarios and so a bad trade is when one team's fans are all for it and the other team feels fleeced. You gotta lose something you want to gain something you need and this trade does that for both teams.

So you think the Nuggets should take away Jax strengths and make him purely a spot up shooter? If they are going to do that, they might as well stick with JR Smith who is actually good at it.

Return to Trades and Transactions