Devin Harris' trade value

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Re: Devin Harris' trade value 

Post#41 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:20 am

Norm2953 wrote:It's a lot of wishful thinking from Blazers fans

Fixed.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#42 » by Norm2953 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:05 am

WillyJakk7 wrote:Devin Harris would be a GREAT fit for LMA (unless traded in 2nd ex. scenario) and Greg Oden.
Devin Harris would be a TERIBLE fit for Brandon Roy, he commands the ball too much.

I would agree with those sentiments but these Harris threads along with the earlier (this summer)
threads about Prince with Portland are pointless for Portland has other more pressing
needs than another PG unless that PG is CP3 or Deron Williams. A better fit alongside Roy
would be a Michael Cooper type of player who could handle the ball, play tough defense and
make an open jumper.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#43 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:49 am

llemon wrote: Nets trade Harris to Heat for 2 1st rd draft picks and an expiring contract,. Maybe also a young player with some potential.

Although he might look more attractive if a contender's PG goes down with an injury prior to the trade deadline (as would Alston).

As a Nets' fan, it's great to see that they a very young, very talented core of players, and still have other players (notably PGs) that have some value in this NBA market.

Really hoping Nets don't mess up their incredible capacity to become a contender for an NBA Title.

But, we'll see.

Devin Harris is the best player on the Nets and you want to trade him to the Heat for two draft picks an expiring contract, and an un named "young player?"

So if I was the Heat and offered Quentin Richardson, Mario Chalmers and Deaquan Cook and 2 #1 picks for Harris and Najera you'd go for that? I gotta think the Heat would love that.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#44 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:37 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:TradeJoe seems to always be looking to deal Harris for next to nothing, I think he had a personal problem with him at a Walmart or Burger King at one point. :)

Ok... let me clear a couple things up.

1. Actually it was a Black Friday sale at Best Buy where he got the last Wii a couple of years back

2. The only trade I would be happy with is one where:
a. Najera is dumped
b. We get enough savings to afford two Max FAs in 2010
c. We get at least one high-end prospect and/or picks

3. As for my personal evaluation of Harris
a. He is a score first PG, I rather my PG be pass first and make his teammates better, which I don't see Harris doing.
b. He can play defense at a very high level, yet choses not to, has admitted he needs to work on it, and Frank has called him out on it for some time now.
c. His constant little injuries are annoying
d. Most subjective of all criticisms.. he doesn't have the great PG mentality/attitude. I want my PG to have a nasty/arrogant side. I want them to be a true leader on the court... Kidd, Payton, Stockton, Billups, etc. Those guys are leaders. They have a certain villan-side to them as well, while Harris is more cut from the same cloth as VC. I don't see nastiness. He's always smiling and very freindly in interviews and often times on the court... was Kidd? No. Kidd spoke his mind and was a true leader. Again, Harris is much more a VC, than a Kidd. I don't see his demeanor changing any time soon either. And yes.. nice guys do sometimes finish first, but I like my chances with a fierce competitor. I fI could trade Harris for Rondo (with the exact same contracts), I do it in a heart-beat since I think this team is ready to compete after next summer, and Rondo will get me title.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#45 » by Smills91 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:19 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:TradeJoe seems to always be looking to deal Harris for next to nothing, I think he had a personal problem with him at a Walmart or Burger King at one point. :)

Ok... let me clear a couple things up.

1. Actually it was a Black Friday sale at Best Buy where he got the last Wii a couple of years back

2. The only trade I would be happy with is one where:
a. Najera is dumped
b. We get enough savings to afford two Max FAs in 2010

3. As for my personal evaluation of Harris
a. He is a score first PG, I rather my PG be pass first and make his teammates better, which I don't see Harris doing.
b. He can play defense at a very high level, yet choses not to, has admitted he needs to work on it, and Frank has called him out on it for some time now.
c. His constant little injuries are annoying
d. Most subjective of all criticisms.. he doesn't have the great PG mentality/attitude. I want my PG to have a nasty/arrogant side. I want them to be a true leader on the court... Kidd, Payton, Stockton, Billups, etc. Those guys are leaders. They have a certain villan-side to them as well, while Harris is more cut from the same cloth as VC. I don't see nastiness. He's always smiling and very freindly in interviews and often times on the court... was Kidd? No. Kidd spoke his mind and was a true leader. Again, Harris is much more a VC, than a Kidd. I don't see his demeanor changing any time soon either. And yes.. nice guys do sometimes finish first, but I like my chances with a fierce competitor. I fI could trade Harris for Rondo (with the exact same contracts), I do it in a heart-beat since I think this team is ready to compete after next summer, and Rondo will get me title.

Would this fit your criteria?

Kings offer - Kenny Thomas, Sergio Rodriguez and a top 7 protected 1st round pick in 2010 (that turns to top 5 protected in 2011, top 3 protected 2012, top 1 protected 2013, unprotected 2014).

for

Devin Harris, Eduardo Najera.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#46 » by NetsForce » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:24 pm

No.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#47 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:37 pm

Smills91 wrote:

Kings offer - Kenny Thomas, Sergio Rodriguez and a top 7 protected 1st round pick in 2010 (that turns to top 5 protected in 2011, top 3 protected 2012, top 1 protected 2013, unprotected 2014).

for

A top 7 protected pick does little for me. We may not see it for a couple of years, which is OK since NJ has 2 1st rounder next year, but there needs to be some sort of immediate and productive return. Evans, JT, Hawes are the only players that interest me from the Kings.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#48 » by Smills91 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:51 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Smills91 wrote:

for

A top 7 protected pick does little for me. We may not see it for a couple of years, which is OK since NJ has 2 1st rounder next year, but there needs to be some sort of immediate and productive return. Evans, JT, Hawes are the only players that interest me from the Kings.

Pass. If you're looking for picks, what difference does it make to potentially wait a year or two to get it?
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#49 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:55 pm

Smills91 wrote:Pass. If you're looking for picks, what difference does it make to potentially wait a year or two to get it?

Because if we get picks I want them to be quality, unprotected picks, not picks that end up being in the teens a couple of years from now. Pieces lose value over time.
Also, we want some sort of immediate return or contribution from whatever we get for Harris, so that the team does not completely collapse and end up unappealing to FAs.

Also, interesting you would trade Hawes and pieces for an unextended Amare (at least I'm assuming he would be unextended since I saw no mention otherwise), but not for Harris on a great deal.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#50 » by loserX » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:57 pm

Smills91 wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
Smills91 wrote:

for

Pass. If you're looking for picks, what difference does it make to potentially wait a year or two to get it?

Uh, it makes a huge difference. 2010 picks are worth more than 2011 picks, which are worth more than 2012 picks, and so on. You know this. If someone offered you this package for Kevin Martin and said "oh, and the only thing of value is a pick, which you might not get for a couple of years", you'd flip.

The Nets aren't going to trade their best player in a deal with a risk that the best piece coming back might not get there for FOUR YEARS. This is a horrendous, horrendous offer for Devin Harris.
llemon
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#51 » by llemon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:34 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
llemon wrote: Nets trade Harris to Heat for 2 1st rd draft picks and an expiring contract,. Maybe also a young player with some potential.

Although he might look more attractive if a contender's PG goes down with an injury prior to the trade deadline (as would Alston).

As a Nets' fan, it's great to see that they a very young, very talented core of players, and still have other players (notably PGs) that have some value in this NBA market.

Really hoping Nets don't mess up their incredible capacity to become a contender for an NBA Title.

But, we'll see.

Devin Harris is the best player on the Nets and you want to trade him to the Heat for two draft picks an expiring contract, and an un named "young player?"

So if I was the Heat and offered Quentin Richardson, Mario Chalmers and Deaquan Cook and 2 #1 picks for Harris and Najera you'd go for that? I gotta think the Heat would love that.

If the Heat picks were unprotected, I as a Net fan, would be happy with that trade (at this point in time), as Nets are considering using Terrence Williams at the point, and Harris is injury prone, which leads to his not only missing games, but his inability to play aggressive defense when he IS on the court.

As I said, that's my opinion right now. Could turn out Harris never gets injured again, Heat picks turn out to be not so good, an T-Will can't play the point. Who knows what the future holds.

And having watched Harris as a Net, I understand why different Net fans see his value at different levels.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#52 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:37 pm

loserX wrote:
Uh, it makes a huge difference. 2010 picks are worth more than 2011 picks, which are worth more than 2012 picks, and so on. You know this. If someone offered you this package for Kevin Martin and said "oh, and the only thing of value is a pick, which you might not get for a couple of years", you'd flip.

The Nets aren't going to trade their best player in a deal with a risk that the best piece coming back might not get there for FOUR YEARS. This is a horrendous, horrendous offer for Devin Harris.

+ 1

Since Harris and Martin have similar value (Harris has slightly more IMO), it's like me offering Sacramento

Simmons
Sean Williams
+
top 7 protected 1st round pick in 2010 (that turns to top 5 protected in 2011, top 3 protected 2012, top 1 protected 2013, unprotected 2014).

for

Kevin Martin
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#53 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:14 pm

These offers are taking a turn for the worse, if that is possible.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#54 » by Smills91 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:45 pm

loserX wrote:
Smills91 wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:

BUNK! Look at your Knicks pick, it's worth as much if not more know that it ever has. And even if I accept that premise, the protection is diminished, thus stabilizing the value of each subsequent year.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#55 » by loserX » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:53 pm

Smills91 wrote:
loserX wrote:
Smills91 wrote:Pass. If you're looking for picks, what difference does it make to potentially wait a year or two to get it?

BUNK! Look at your Knicks pick, it's worth as much if not more know that it ever has. And even if I accept that premise, the protection is diminished, thus stabilizing the value of each subsequent year.

Yes, that's right, the Knicks' pick is worth more now. Guess why? Because it's completely unprotected and the acquiring team knows exactly when they're going to get it, and expectations are high that the pick will be in the better part of the draft.

So if we trade it NOW, when it's unprotected and only a year away, it has much more value than it did every other year in the past...because in those years it was protected. Teams didn't know when they were going to get it. So the protected pick you are offering now has much LESS value than if you offered an unprotected pick, because then the team is no longer sure to have it in the following year. Or the year after. Or the year after that.

If the Nets are going to trade their best player, they will want something to show for it NOW. Not a pick that could be years away and in any part of the draft. Too much risk for the only part of the trade that is worth anything. Again, terrible.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#56 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:54 pm

Smills91 wrote:BUNK! Look at your Knicks pick, it's worth as much if not more know that it ever has. And even if I accept that premise, the protection is diminished, thus stabilizing the value of each subsequent year.

There a saying that an example like that is the exception and not the rule.
In general, LoserX is right, and in a way he's right regardless.
Last year NY picked #8 and got Jordan Hill
2 years ago NY picked #5 and got Gallinari

Who knows where the NYK pick will fall, or who it will end up bring, but I don't see it having substantially more value than it did last year or the year before, or the year before that, etc. The Knicks have been in the lottery for almost a decade... but the pick was protected.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#57 » by rpa » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:57 pm

Smills91 wrote:BUNK! Look at your Knicks pick, it's worth as much if not more know that it ever has. And even if I accept that premise, the protection is diminished, thus stabilizing the value of each subsequent year.

Uh, doesn't that prove his point? The Knicks pick has more value now that it's a pick in the next draft as opposed to 3 years ago when it was "a pick in a draft sometime between now and 3 years from now"?

I'd also disagree on the diminishing protection stabilizing the value. NJ's giving you a developed player for the rights to a player. In that sense the Kings should improve sooner. In that sense, adding ANY protection onto the pick is just being greedy. Also, teams aren't bad forever. Chances are with that protection that in 2 years the Nets would be looking at a late lottery pick (possibly mid 1st rounder) in exchange for Harris.

Anyways, as a Kings fan I don't think I'd go after Harris now. I don't think he'd fit well next to Evans at all to be honest.
llemon
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#58 » by llemon » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:11 am

After last night's Nets' fiasco, perhaps Nets will be looking harder at a deal for Harris.

Might be better to deal him before he injures himself again
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#59 » by NetsForce » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:28 am

llemon wrote:After last night's Nets' fiasco, perhaps Nets will be looking harder at a deal for Harris.

Might be better to deal him before he injures himself again

It's posts like these that bring the quality of RealGM down.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,685

Post#60 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:41 am

I may be valuing Jennings too much (I really like him as a prospect) but I think something like Jennings, Alexander and Thomas for Harris is something I'd do as a MIlwaukee fan.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”

Return to Trades and Transactions