NJN / CHA - Harris for 2 Max FAs

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Star-Lord
Starter
And1: 1,325

Re: NJN / CHA - Harris for 2 Max FAs 

Post#21 » by Star-Lord » Wed Nov 4, 2009 8:30 pm

Orlando tried buying a dynasty... It didn't work.

Miami tried buying their way into the elite by overpaying for Eddie Jones and Brian Grant... It didn't work.

The Lakers tried to buy their fourth title in a row when they brought in Malone and Payton on the cheap... It didn't work.

Buying dynasties doesn't work. New Jersey fans: If you want to win, be patient, and draft well. That's the only way it's going to happen, cause LeBron, Dwyane, Ama're, and bosh ain't walking through that door any time soon, unless their team is playing against the Nets that night. Even if one or both of them did end up coming to The Swamp/ The Boogy Down, success would hardly be guaranteed.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#22 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Nov 4, 2009 8:36 pm

CCIIIs Hair wrote:Orlando tried buying a dynasty... It didn't work.

Miami tried buying their way into the elite by overpaying for Eddie Jones and Brian Grant... It didn't work.

The Lakers tried to buy their fourth title in a row when they brought in Malone and Payton on the cheap... It didn't work.

Buying dynasties doesn't work. New Jersey fans: If you want to win, be patient, and draft well. That's the only way it's going to happen, cause LeBron, Dwyane, Ama're, and bosh ain't walking through that door any time soon, unless their team is playing against the Nets that night. Even if one or both of them did end up coming to The Swamp/ The Boogy Down, success would hardly be guaranteed.

Again the only example of where a team enough cap for two max FAs, and at least two max FA calibur players were out there seemed to be the Orlando situation. Miami and LAL are poor, unrelated examples.

And if you don't think success would come by adding two max FA's you're crazier than your hair.

Augustin / DAL #1
Lee / CDR
LBJ / T.Will
Bosh / Yi
Lopez / NJ #1

Add some ring chasers, and you have a team on par with Boston, Orlando and LA.
Considering this team may not win 15-20 games this year, that is success.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,764

Post#23 » by Cammo101 » Wed Nov 4, 2009 8:46 pm

Except, if Bosh, LBJ and Wade all stay put or pass on NJ, you are hosed big time because you traded your best player for DJ Augustin.
Star-Lord
Starter

Post#24 » by Star-Lord » Wed Nov 4, 2009 8:50 pm

Miami and Los Angeles are probably not the best examples, but they are absolutely related to the discussion at hand.

Where is it written in stone that LeBron and Chris Bosh can play well together? Where is it written in stone that either of those two guys will mesh well with the likes of Brook Lopez and Terrence Williams?

Chemistry issues aside, what exactly has either LeBron or Chris Bosh done to make people believe that they can win together? Sure, LeBron has proven he can lead a team to the finals to get swept, but really, what has Chris Bosh ever done in this league to make anyone believe that he's a winner?

What about New Jersey's coaching situation? Do you really think Bron and Bosh would want to play for Lawrence Frank? What quality, high profile coaches are out there that are realistically available for the Nets?

You think that bringing in two All-Stars will immediately solve all of your teams issues, and that they should start making room for banners before the ink dries on the contracts. I know for a fact, based on decades of history, that this league, this game, simply does not work that way. But I'm the one that's crazy...

Oh, and that lineup you proposed certainly would not be on par with either the Lakers or the Celtics. The Magic and the Cavs, maybe, but not Boston or Los Angeles.

Cammo101 wrote:Except, if Bosh, LBJ and Wade all stay put or pass on NJ, you are hosed big time because you traded your best player for DJ Augustin.

This too...
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#25 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Nov 4, 2009 9:01 pm

Cammo101 wrote:Except, if Bosh, LBJ and Wade all stay put or pass on NJ, you are hosed big time because you traded your best player for DJ Augustin.

And $8m in 2010 cap space and a 2012 #1 from Charlotte, but let's ignore that.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#26 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Nov 4, 2009 9:12 pm

Miami and Los Angeles are probably not the best examples, but they are absolutely related to the discussion at hand.

How?

Eddie Jones
Brian Grant
Karl Malone
Gary Payton

Where they were in their careers was comparbale to LBJ, Wade, Bosh, Amare etc?

Where is it written in stone that LeBron and Chris Bosh can play well together? Where is it written in stone that either of those two guys will mesh well with the likes of Brook Lopez and Terrence Williams?

I didn't realize we had the ability to look into the future when signing FAs or making trades to see who works well together. It's the risk every team takes every year with every move.

Chemistry issues aside, what exactly has either LeBron or Chris Bosh done to make people believe that they can win together? Sure, LeBron has proven he can lead a team to the finals to get swept, but really, what has Chris Bosh ever done in this league to make anyone believe that he's a winner?

Allrighty then....

What about New Jersey's coaching situation? Do you really think Bron and Bosh would want to play for Lawrence Frank? What quality, high profile coaches are out there that are realistically available for the Nets?

No, LF is a lame duck coach and everyone in the Nets fam knows it's a given one of Proky's first moves will be to put his mark on the club with a new coach. Not worried about that one... any coach is better than LF.
Some options though...
JVG
M.Jackson
P.Ewing
Mike Fratello
Doug Collins
Eddie Jordan
Avery Johnson
NCAA coaches
European coaches
etc...

You think that bringing in two All-Stars will immediately solve all of your teams issues, and that they should start making room for banners before the ink dries on the contracts. I know for a fact, based on decades of history, that this league, this game, simply does not work that way. But I'm the one that's crazy...

It worked for Boston

Oh, and that lineup you proposed certainly would not be on par with either the Lakers or the Celtics. The Magic and the Cavs, maybe, but not Boston or Los Angeles.

LOL.. give them a year to gel, use the MLE, makes some moves and yes they would be.
I also don't see Cleveland being too scary with or without LBJ.. esp. considering he was on the Nets line-up you are referring to.
Ricepilar
Head Coach
And1: 73

Post#27 » by Ricepilar » Wed Nov 4, 2009 9:31 pm

Trading Harris for cap space is beyond idiotic. No free agents are going anywhere to play with DJ Augustin.
deviljets7
Lead Assistant
And1: 24

Post#28 » by deviljets7 » Wed Nov 4, 2009 9:48 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:

And $8m in 2010 cap space and a 2012 #1 from Charlotte, but let's ignore that.

If you don't land those MAX free agents, a Devin Harris for Augustin and 2012 pick is a disastrous trade by the Nets.
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#29 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Nov 4, 2009 9:54 pm

deviljets7 wrote:
If you don't land those MAX free agents, a Devin Harris for Augustin and 2012 pick is a disastrous trade by the Nets.

And what ever thet Nets do with the $8m in extra salary.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,984

Post#30 » by moocow007 » Wed Nov 4, 2009 9:56 pm

CCIIIs Hair wrote:Orlando tried buying a dynasty... It didn't work.

To be fair...

Both the Heat (in 2006) and the Lakers (during the Kobe/Shaq days) won championships in large part due to the presence of Shaquile O'neal who neither team drafted.

The most recent incarnation of the Lakers won because they added a guy like Gasol (who they didn't draft) to the roster for spare parts to bolster Kobe (who wasn't able to win anything after Shaq left).

The Boston Celtics won a championship and looks on their way for another one by adding Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen (neither of whom they drated) to the roster that had only Paul Pierce (who couldn't do anything by himself).

The Detroit Pistons won with a balanced team made up of guys that were not drafted by them (Rasheed Wallace - Wizards, Chauncey Billups - Celtics, Richard Hamilton - Wizards, Ben Wallace - Wizards, Antonio McDyess - Nuggets). Only Tayshaun Prince was a Piston draft pick.

Only the Spurs (of the recent championship teams) were really built from the draft (with David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker all picked up from the draft). But even then Robinson and Duncan were so much above and beyond their competition that both were no brainers (Robinson because the Spurs tanked like there was no tomorrow and Duncan cause they got a lucky bounce).

For the most part you have to be able to do several things...draft well, trade well and be smart with your finances so that you leave yourself room to be able to sign (or sign-and-trade for) FA's well. It's about doing your job as a GM well and having a place that players want to play.
deviljets7
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by deviljets7 » Wed Nov 4, 2009 10:00 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
deviljets7 wrote:

And what ever thet Nets do with the $8m in extra salary.

What good is the extra $8 million when in the scenario that was given, the Nets couldn't give away the $25 million they already had (ie: LeBron, Wade, Bosh and Amare all said no)?
enetric wrote:You have the perfect fat% to sit on your butt, eat crap and WATCH someone else do it though. Hell, at that body fat% you might be a starter.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#32 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Nov 4, 2009 10:08 pm

So why is it, it seems to be in NY's best interests to go for two max FAs (yet they would have an even worse team than NJ once they stripped away the pieces needed to land two max FAs) and not NJ?

NY
Douglas
Chandler*
Gallo* / Jeffries*
Hill*
Curry*
+
no 2010 pick
* might have to be traded to create max cap space for 2 FAs

vs.

NJ
Augustin
Lee / CDR
T.Williams
Yi
Lopez
+
2010 top 5 pick
2010 DAL #1
+
Billionaire owner
+
Brooklyn on the horizon

Eevrybody seems OK with NY mortgaging their future on 1 max FA, let alone 2, and again I still see them with a lesser team than NJ either way.
deviljets7
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by deviljets7 » Wed Nov 4, 2009 10:11 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:So why is it, it seems to be in NY's best interests to go for two max FAs (yet they would have an even worse team than NJ once they stripped away the pieces needed to land two max FAs) and not NJ?

Because the sacrifices the Knicks would likely have to make (Jordan Hill? Wilson Chandler?) to create room for 2 MAX FAs are a lot less than the sacrifice the Nets would have to make which is an all-star PG locked into a bargain contract.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Nov 4, 2009 10:18 pm

deviljets7 wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:So why is it, it seems to be in NY's best interests to go for two max FAs (yet they would have an even worse team than NJ once they stripped away the pieces needed to land two max FAs) and not NJ?

Because the sacrifices the Knicks would likely have to make (Jordan Hill? Wilson Chandler?) to create room for 2 MAX FAs are a lot less than the sacrifice the Nets would have to make which is an all-star PG locked into a bargain contract.

It will take NY at least one of Chandler/Gallo/Hilll to unload Curry and/or Jeffries and get money for a 2nd max FA.
All they will get for them is an expirer(s).

NJ will trade Harris and a negative contract (Najera) for expirers, a prospect and a pick in this scenario to get money for 2 max FAs.
Star-Lord
Starter

Post#35 » by Star-Lord » Wed Nov 4, 2009 10:20 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:

How?

Eddie Jones
Brian Grant
Karl Malone
Gary Payton

Where they were in their careers was comparbale to LBJ, Wade, Bosh, Amare etc?

Eddie Jones = All-Star at the time. Considered by the Heat to be a real difference maker.

Brian Grant = Considered All-Star caliber at the time. Considered by the Heat to be a real difference maker.

Malone and Payton = While certainly past their prime, both had enough basketball left in them to be major pieces to the championship puzzle for the Lakers, had they ever fit in.

So while those four certainly weren't on the level of either LeBron or Dwyane, it could be argued that they weren't too far off of where Amare and Chris Bosh are now. Sure, those two are All-Stars, but they aren't franchise changers. I think that's pretty obvious.

I didn't realize we had the ability to look into the future when signing FAs or making trades to see who works well together. It's the risk every team takes every year with every move.

True, but we do have history to refer to, and history teaches us that championships aren't bought in the NBA. Also, there's a massive difference between taking smart risks, and taking foolish risks.

No, LF is a lame duck coach and everyone in the Nets fam knows it's a given one of Proky's first moves will be to put his mark on the club with a new coach. Not worried about that one... any coach is better than LF.
Some options though...
JVG
M.Jackson
P.Ewing
Mike Fratello
Doug Collins
Eddie Jordan
Avery Johnson
NCAA coaches
European coaches
etc...

Jeff is said to be happy broadcasting. My guess is he'd only come back if the situation were absolutely perfect, meaning your prize free agents would already have to be signed, sealed, and delivered before he commits. Even if the Nets did snag him, while he's definitely an upgrade over Frank, Jeff hasn't really won anything as a coach, and he also doesn't have the best reputation as far as relationships with his players go.

Marc Jackson and Patrick Ewing haven't been head coaches for a single game, so nobody knows how good or bad they may be. That includes you.

Doug Collins is done. He's said so on more than one occasion.

The Czar and Avery Johnson are pretty much in the same boat as Van Gundy.

Eddie Jordan already has a job.

NCAA coaches have a pretty awful track record when transitioning to the NBA.

Same thing with Euro coaches for the most part.

It worked for Boston

Boston didn't sign two max free agents. They traded for a franchise changer in Garnett, then signed Allen. Completely different than the strategy you're proposing the Nets implore.

LOL.. give them a year to gel, use the MLE, makes some moves and yes they would be.
I also don't see Cleveland being too scary with or without LBJ.. esp. considering he was on the Nets line-up you are referring to.

Clearly I'm referring to the Cavs of today.

The bottom line is this. The Nets are in a pretty enviable position in that while they're terrible, everyone can see a massive amount of potential in them today. They have a new owner, they have Brooklyn to possibly look forward to, they have two or three young guys who could turn into stars one day, and an already proven star on an insanely cheap contract. On top of all of that, they have two picks in what looks like it'll be a loaded draft, and they still have plenty of cap space to land at least one huge free agent, even with Devin Harris on their roster. It's like they get to play with house money right now.

What you're proposing is like betting $500 on the Jets when you only have $50 bucks to your name. Sure, if they win, you're going to come up pretty damn big. But, there's a very real possibility that you lose, and then you're in a much, much worse position than you were in before.
deviljets7
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by deviljets7 » Wed Nov 4, 2009 10:27 pm

Again,

They are not sacrificing their best player and an all-star to achieve that cap room for a 2nd MAX free agent.

You think the Knicks would be willing to give up an all-star PG in such a scenario?

In the ultimate dream scenario, two of the MAX FAs say they want to come play for the Nets, I don't think it will be too hard to find a team willing to give up raw cap space + for Harris in July. Sure you might not get quite as much then as you would now, but at this way you don't risk giving away your best player at a serious discount.

I also find it amusing that you've criticized Harris for being a scoring/me first PG yet then propose a trade for an undersized PG with assist numbers as poor as Augustin's.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,984

Post#37 » by moocow007 » Wed Nov 4, 2009 10:38 pm

deviljets7 wrote:

Yeah I agree. The Knicks will likely be willing to part with anyone but Gallinari if it meant a pair like Lebron and Bosh (or Lebron and Stoudemire) in Knick uniforms next year. I think what you will see at some point (probably during the summer when everyone, including the impending FA's, get a better feel for whether they are staying or leaving and who wants to go where with whom). I doubt the Knicks would have any issues if they get the word from Lebron's camp that he will sign but they would have to add Bosh (his close friend) as well in incuding both Hill, Chandler and Douglas and/or using David Lee and/or Nate Robinson in sign-and-trades to make it happen. Right now, it's hard because you do not want to give up big assets (as is the case with Harris) on the offchance that you might be able to get 2 MAX FA's. A LOT of teams have cap space and there's only so many top players to go around.
deviljets7
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by deviljets7 » Wed Nov 4, 2009 11:14 pm

moocow007 wrote:
deviljets7 wrote:

Yeah I agree. The Knicks will likely be willing to part with anyone but Gallinari if it meant a pair like Lebron and Bosh (or Lebron and Stoudemire) in Knick uniforms next year. I think what you will see at some point (probably during the summer when everyone, including the impending FA's, get a better feel for whether they are staying or leaving and who wants to go where with whom). I doubt the Knicks would have any issues if they get the word from Lebron's camp that he will sign but they would have to add Bosh (his close friend) as well in incuding both Hill, Chandler and Douglas and/or using David Lee and/or Nate Robinson in sign-and-trades to make it happen. Right now, it's hard because you do not want to give up big assets (as is the case with Harris) on the offchance that you might be able to get 2 MAX FA's. A LOT of teams have cap space and there's only so many top players to go around.

This reason in particular is why I don't see the reason to rush into a Harris trade. He's obviously not on the level of Lebron, Wade, Bosh, etc. but with all of the teams with cap room I'd have to think there will be plenty of interest in Harris this summer. True the need for the instant cap relief would depress his value some, but dealing Harris at 40% value is significantly better than trading Harris at 80-90% value and being rejected by the top guys.

As for the Knicks. I don't think I'd go with with the try to get a 2nd MAX FA either. Admittedly it's a harder sell to Lebron, but you have the room to sign a MAX FA, keep Lee and I'd have to think $16 mil in expirings plus Hill and/or Chandler can fetch you 1 or 2 very nice veterans based on the deals of this past summer.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#39 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Nov 4, 2009 11:19 pm

Eddie Jones = All-Star at the time. Considered by the Heat to be a real difference maker.

Brian Grant = Considered All-Star caliber at the time. Considered by the Heat to be a real difference maker.

Malone and Payton = While certainly past their prime, both had enough basketball left in them to be major pieces to the championship puzzle for the Lakers, had they ever fit in.

So while those four certainly weren't on the level of either LeBron or Dwyane, it could be argued that they weren't too far off of where Amare and Chris Bosh are now. Sure, those two are All-Stars, but they aren't franchise changers. I think that's pretty obvious.

The only one that comes close anyone I'm targeting is EJ and JJ.
Grant was never on Amare or Bosh level, Malone and Payton were not close to anyone I'm targeting either.

True, but we do have history to refer to, and history teaches us that championships aren't bought in the NBA. Also, there's a massive difference between taking smart risks, and taking foolish risks.

I think this is a smart risk, especially given the plethora of option they will have with all these moves in 2010 and/or 2011.

Jeff is said to be happy broadcasting. My guess is he'd only come back if the situation were absolutely perfect, meaning your prize free agents would already have to be signed, sealed, and delivered before he commits. Even if the Nets did snag him, while he's definitely an upgrade over Frank, Jeff hasn't really won anything as a coach, and he also doesn't have the best reputation as far as relationships with his players go.

Marc Jackson and Patrick Ewing haven't been head coaches for a single game, so nobody knows how good or bad they may be. That includes you.

Doug Collins is done. He's said so on more than one occasion.

The Czar and Avery Johnson are pretty much in the same boat as Van Gundy.

Eddie Jordan already has a job.

NCAA coaches have a pretty awful track record when transitioning to the NBA.

Same thing with Euro coaches for the most part.

Just some options.
D'Antoni did well coming from Europe.. I wouldn't be surprised if Proky already has someone in mind, here or abroad. Just throwing out some options. Anyone is better than Frank.

Boston didn't sign two max free agents. They traded for a franchise changer in Garnett, then signed Allen. Completely different than the strategy you're proposing the Nets implore.

They took a major risk and mortgaged it all on two max players.
It payed off.

Clearly I'm referring to the Cavs of today.

You said the team I listed (which included LBJ) couldn't compete with Cleveland. They wouldn't have to once LBJ is gone from there.

The bottom line is this. The Nets are in a pretty enviable position in that while they're terrible, everyone can see a massive amount of potential in them today. They have a new owner, they have Brooklyn to possibly look forward to, they have two or three young guys who could turn into stars one day, and an already proven star on an insanely cheap contract. On top of all of that, they have two picks in what looks like it'll be a loaded draft, and they still have plenty of cap space to land at least one huge free agent, even with Devin Harris on their roster. It's like they get to play with house money right now.

What you're proposing is like betting $500 on the Jets when you only have $50 bucks to your name. Sure, if they win, you're going to come up pretty damn big. But, there's a very real possibility that you lose, and then you're in a much, much worse position than you were in before.

Yes, I like our options/chances if we just stay put, but I like our options even better if we go for it all.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#40 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Nov 4, 2009 11:22 pm

moocow007 wrote:. Right now, it's hard because you do not want to give up big assets (as is the case with Harris) on the offchance that you might be able to get 2 MAX FA's. A LOT of teams have cap space and there's only so many top players to go around.

EXACTLY.

I think if NJ has enough for two MAX FA's they would pretty much be the only team able to get two max FAs and have a good chance at it. That is what would separate them from Miami, NY, Chicago as the other teams able to afford just 1 outright.

If NJ only has enough money for 1, I'm not sure they get one if NY, Chicago and Miami can get one as well.

Return to Trades and Transactions