Portland/Washington Deadline Deal

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Portland/Washington Deadline Deal 

Post#1 » by NBAMAN2006 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am

This deal is contingent on Nicolas Batum coming back completley healed from his injury and the Wizards continuing their struggles.

PORTLAND TRADES
-Martell Webster
-Travis Outlaw (Expiring)
-Steve Blake (Expiring)
-Jeff Pendergraph
-The highest of Portland's 2010 2nd round picks

WASHINGTON TRADES
-Antwan Jamison
-DeBrick Stevenson

Why Portland Does It
They take on some big contracts, but its a necessary consolidation deal. Jamison would be an excellent super 6th man, eating all the backup SF & PF minutes. I think his locker room presence and veteran playoff experience would really help this team. Loosing three guys who can shoot the trey sucks, but Jamison is actually quite good in that regard. I feel many PDX fans will hate this deal, but I truly think this team needs one more veteran presence, and Jamison would bring just that. Getting DeBrick would suck, but I dont see Washington making a move like this unless they can jettison his contract. He would be cut most likley, as he is a complete nucklehead. NOTE: Washington would agree to buy out Steve Blake so he could return to Portland.

PG- Andre Miller/Steve Blake/Jerryd Bayless/Patty Mills
SG- Brandon Roy/Rudy Fernandez
SF- Nicolas Batum/Antwan Jamison/Dante Cunningham
PF- LaMarcus Aldridge/Antwan Jamison/Juwan Howard
C- Greg Oden/Joel Pryzbilla

Why Washington Does It
They realize that their team, as it is now build, is not going to make much noise. Here they get two expiring players, totaling at about 8-9M off their cap after the summer. Martell Webster has been underwhelming, but he is young and has a relativley cheap contract. Pendergraph adds some much needed big man depth. Finally, they get a 2nd rounder. The deal really improves their cap situation, and after this season the only players making more than like 3M on their team will be Butler and Arenas.

PG- Gilbert Arenas/Randy Foye/Earl Boykins/Javaris Crittenton
SG- Martell Webster/Randy Foye/Nick Young
SF- Caron Butler/Mike Miller/Dominic McGuire
PF- Andray Blatche/Travis Outlaw/Jeff Pendergraph
C- Brendan Haywood/Fabricio Oberto/JaVale McGee
Evermore
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Portland/Washington Deadline Deal 

Post#2 » by Evermore » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:20 am

Washington passes...

There's not nearly enough high-end potential coming back to the Wizards in this deal

Blake, Outlaw and Webster are 3 role players...nothing more
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#3 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:52 am

Evermore wrote:Washington passes...

There's not nearly enough high-end potential coming back to the Wizards in this deal

Funny, you got it all wrong.
Portland passes.
I could see them having legitimate interest in Jamison, but they would likely tell Washington to take out Pendergraph and there is no way they take on Lincoln Neck, no team will do that for Jamison.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#4 » by VintaGe36 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:09 am

Washington says please?

Jamison is a great lockeroom presence, as a player and veteran, but I just don't like his contract, or fit, on this team.
NBAMAN2006
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#5 » by NBAMAN2006 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:15 am

I think Portland can afford to take on DeWorthless simply because their owner is so wealthy. But, realizing that Batum may be out for the entire season, Portland may want to get McGuire back in the deal also.

As for it not being enough value to Washington, well in fact after this deal the Wizards will have only Arenas (17.7M), Butler (10.5M), Webster (4.8M), Blatche (3.3M), Young (2.6M), McGee (1.6M), Pendergraph (.7M) and their 2010 1st rounder. Thats a total of around 43M in contracts. The cap is 57.7M for the 2009/10 season, and could rise a bit for 10/11. That means Washington could very well be a decent player in the FA market. Pairing a Joe Johnson or Amare alongside Arenas and Butler would be amazing. They could open up even more cap space if they dealt someone like Nick Young for a future pick.

Also, for all the Washington fans, would you include Nick Young in the deal? It seems he is not really a contributer in Washington right now and moving his 2.6M deal would lower the total amount of salary commitment for Washington this summer to 40.4M.
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by VintaGe36 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:16 am

Even after this trade, we have no prospects of getting a 2010 F/A.

We need to lock up Haywood, Miller and/or Foye.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#7 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:57 am

I don't mind the premise of Jamison to Portland, I could see it, but again, I cannot under any circumstances see them taking back Stevenson.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#8 » by Agenda42 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:09 am

Jamison is a quality player, but I don't see him fitting well in Portland. The Blazers need perimeter defense at the SF position and there's hardly any minutes left at PF after Aldridge. Jamison is a guy who's good enough to give you 35+ minutes, and certainly makes that kind of money, but he wouldn't be able to do that in Portland as the team is currently constructed.
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by VintaGe36 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:49 am

Andre Miller(28)/Blake(10)/Roy(10)
Roy(28)/Rudy Fernandez(20)
Batum(25)/Jamison(23)
Aldridge(35)/Jamison(13)
Oden(25)/Przbilla(23)

I don't follow your team extensively, but wouldn't that minute break down work?
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#10 » by Agenda42 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:21 am

VintaGe36 wrote:Andre Miller(28)/Blake(10)/Roy(10)
Roy(28)/Rudy Fernandez(20)
Batum(25)/Jamison(23)
Aldridge(35)/Jamison(13)
Oden(25)/Przbilla(23)

I don't follow your team extensively, but wouldn't that minute break down work?

This is a pretty good effort. In general, Roy plays around 1/3 of his minutes at SF and doesn't really take any PG minutes. When Roy is handling the ball and doing PG things on offense, Blake is always on the floor at the actual PG spot. Blake would play a lot more minutes than 10 after any deal. So far this season we're seeing both Miller and Blake play around 30 minutes a game. Obviously these things would change with Jamison around.

I'd be pretty nervous about having Jamison log big minutes at the 3 for Portland. He's not as fast as he used to be, and the Blazers have their SF cover the opposing offensive SG/SF position so that Roy can conserve energy for offense.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#11 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:09 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Evermore wrote:Washington passes...

Funny, you got it all wrong.
Portland passes.
I could see them having legitimate interest in Jamison, but they would likely tell Washington to take out Pendergraph and there is no way they take on Lincoln Neck, no team will do that for Jamison.

You're both right (or wrong).

Washington wouldn't do that deal if they're playing well by the trade deadline and look like they'll be in the playoffs. But if the Wizards' slide continues, then clearly they'd be interested in blowing the team up and saving salary.

NBAMAN2006 wrote:Also, for all the Washington fans, would you include Nick Young in the deal? It seems he is not really a contributer in Washington right now and moving his 2.6M deal would lower the total amount of salary commitment for Washington this summer to 40.4M.

Yes. Nick Young could be included. He certainly isn't untouchable. Of course, it all depends on how well he is playing by the trade deadline.
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#12 » by Leto » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:07 pm

I'm not sure Portland would trade for Jamison---maybe Butler.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#13 » by no D in Hibachi » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:45 pm

I could see Washington doing something like this if they're still amazingly sucky at the deadline. Although I'm not overly keen on taking back Webster. He's an average player and not really worth his cap space for a rebuilding team. Jamison is good enough that if no prospects are coming back Washington could trade him for 100% expirings as evidenced by Cleveland offering expirings for him at the trade deadline last season.

I'd almost expect that if they trade Jamison at the deadline they'd also dump Caron to free up salary for next off-season. A Caron for Rudy+Outlaw+Blake deal is something I'd be more interested with Portland. The Wiz would simply cut Blake and he could resign with the Blazers.

Return to Trades and Transactions