MIN/CHI: Big Al to the Windy City

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

MIN/CHI: Big Al to the Windy City 

Post#1 » by deeney0 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:55 am

Minnesota trades:
Al Jefferson
Ryan Gomes

Chicago trades:
Luol Deng
Joakim Noah
Tyrus Thomas
1st Round Pick (lottery protected)

Wolves get young talent for Jefferson better suited for a fast paced game. Bulls get the young low post scorer they've been craving since who knows when.

Minnesota:
Noah
Love
Deng
Brewer
Flynn

Chicago:
Miller
Jefferson
Gomes
Salmons
Rose
Mezotarkus
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: MIN/CHI: Big Al to the Windy City 

Post#2 » by Mezotarkus » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:05 am

No way Chicago does this. Al Jefferson is not that good to warrant that kind of package.
John Doe [MIN]
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by John Doe [MIN] » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:20 am

Mezotarkus wrote:No way Chicago does this. Al Jefferson is not that good to warrant that kind of package.

Package? It's:
Joakim Noah - positive
Luol Deng - overpaid, negative
Tyrus Thomas - expiring, neutral
pick - positive

It may be too good for Minnesota, but it's not like they're taking a ton of value from Chicago here. Deng + Thomas has little, if any, value league-wide.
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#4 » by bullsnewdynasty » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:54 am

Do you want Rose thrown in too?
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,776

Post#5 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:25 am

I agree this is way too much for Jefferson. Deng has been playing out of his mind, I highly doubt at this point Chicago considers him negative. Noah has too, I bet he's damn near untouchable at this point. Though he hasn't shown much, Thomas is more then just a neutral expiring as well, he has value around the league.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,605

Post#6 » by shrink » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:40 am

Baddy Chuck wrote:I agree this is way too much for Jefferson. Deng has been playing out of his mind, I highly doubt at this point Chicago considers him negative. Noah has too, I bet he's damn near untouchable at this point. Though he hasn't shown much, Thomas is more then just a neutral expiring as well, he has value around the league.

Well, even CHI didn't think Tyrus was worth keeping around next year on his rookie deal, so its hard to believe he has value. Noah certainly has value, and at best, Deng must at least be considered "risky" with his long deal, and many teams would avoid him simply because of the 2010 cap space.

Jefferson carries some of these same risks. But do we value Deng based on his last 15 games, or his previous two years? And does the same go for Jefferson? A reasonable person uses both.
warren weel im
Lead Assistant
And1: 307

Post#7 » by warren weel im » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:07 am

Agreed. Its too much for the hobbling Al Jeff right now... AlJeff is looking like Deng of last year.

If you however took out Joakim Noah, I think the Bulls would be all over it. I actually think it would be a very good deal for both sides.

Deng scores for the ailing Wolves... AlJeff brings stability to the Bulls inside presence. They have a shot at a AlJeff + Noah frontcourt would entice Wade.
John Doe [MIN]
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by John Doe [MIN] » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:24 am

^no deal without Noah. He's the Wolves' only real incentive to make this happen.

It might not be enough, but if you want to keep the pick and think Thomas has some value, I personally would probably still accept:

Jefferson + Gomes for Noah + Deng + Jerome James

Would you?
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#9 » by coldfish » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:03 pm

Minnesota fans can like it or not. There is no way Chicago does this. Al Jefferson won't get you Noah right now. Not the way the two of them are playing. I pretty much agree with warren weel im.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#10 » by old rem » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:57 pm

John Doe [MN] wrote:^no deal without Noah. He's the Wolves' only real incentive to make this happen.

It might not be enough, but if you want to keep the pick and think Thomas has some value, I personally would probably still accept:

Would you?
I suppose the Wolves would accept something positive, Johnson? Gibson? rather than Tyrus, but J James is the Wolves flushing about $6 mill for a roster clog. Another twist would be the Wolves replace Gomes with something minor + cheap, then its mainly Jefferson for Noah+Deng.No James or Tyrus.
CENSORED... No comment.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#11 » by Chi town » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:50 pm

CHi would rather take Bosh, Wade, or Lebron over AL. That's why a trade like this won't happen in season because the Bulls could get a better star and it wouldn't cost them any players.

Now if CHI strikes out I could see Noah and a pick being sent for AL. AL is going to have to return to form though if he is going to warrant the leagues best rebounder right now.

Deng will stay a Bull. He's playing very well, has shown he can play backup PF very well in small lineups, and his D and rebounding have been superb. He's also only 24.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,605

Post#12 » by shrink » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:37 pm

warren weel im wrote:Agreed. Its too much for the hobbling Al Jeff right now... AlJeff is looking like Deng of last year.

Before we completely write off Jefferson, I should point out he's averaging 18 PPG, 11 RPG on FG 51% in his last three games. He's not 100% yet, but he's obviously recovering from the surgery, and faster than originally scheduled.

As for the "league's best rebounder," Noah has averaging 11.9 RPG over 13 games this season. Al averaged 11 for the previous three seasons. Last year Noah averaged 7.6 RPG. I like Noah, but let's not get too carried away here with hyperbole.
deeney0
RealGM

Post#13 » by deeney0 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:46 pm

The reason Chi could get Al for a package like this is because he's playing so poorly. This package couldn't have come close to netting Al last year, and it may not next year.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#14 » by coldfish » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:18 pm

old rem wrote:
John Doe [MN] wrote:^no deal without Noah. He's the Wolves' only real incentive to make this happen.

Would you?
I suppose the Wolves would accept something positive, Johnson? Gibson? rather than Tyrus, but J James is the Wolves flushing about $6 mill for a roster clog. Another twist would be the Wolves replace Gomes with something minor + cheap, then its mainly Jefferson for Noah+Deng.No James or Tyrus.

There is just no way this trade is in the realm of possibility. Minnesota needs to hold onto Jefferson, just like Chicago needed to hold onto Deng last year. Overall, Deng is outplaying Jefferson for less money and Noah is outplaying Deng. Based on this year, this trade is absurd.
76ers76ers
Rookie
And1: 33

Post#15 » by 76ers76ers » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:09 pm

agreed
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#16 » by funkatron101 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:55 pm

I think many Wolves fans would agree that this is not fair for Chicago. The Wolves need to give more.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.

Return to Trades and Transactions