Perfect? Utah / Indy

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

PacerGuy
Analyst
And1: 0

Perfect? Utah / Indy 

Post#1 » by PacerGuy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:20 am

INDIANA:
Incoming Players
Eric Maynor
Matt Harpring
Carlos Boozer

UTAH:
Incoming Players
Earl Watson
Troy Murphy
Jeff Foster
'10 2nd rd pick

WHY?:
IN: IN gets Harpring's expiring & a young PG (to go w/ Price) to help them rebuild. The savings of Harpring & Diener's (exp) contracts allow IN to not only resign Boozer (M.Dunlevy's "very good friend"), but to pair him w/ Granger (w/T-Hans as b/u), while putting CB next to Hibbert @ C in a Indy's new lineup, that instantly makes them a player in the East in '10-'11.

UT: They can not contend w/ NY, NJ, Chi, Hou, ... in '10 FA, but w/ AK47 expiring in '11 (along w/ the newly aquired T.Murph & Foster), they are big players, w/o the big-boys, in '11. Okur/ Milsap in 1st unit & Foster/Murph in the 2nd give flexibility & a shooter/rebounder combo on both lines. Watson is a solid vet, & a perfect fit to go w/ Williams @ PG (if resigned) or he expires giving cap space.
Larry Bird, You are now on the Clock! ( 3/24/08 )
KiDdFrESh
General Manager
And1: 46

Re: Perfect? Utah / Indy 

Post#2 » by KiDdFrESh » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:25 am

Perfect? Far from it.

A couple things wrong here.

Firstly... No way the Jazz go for this. Boozer is the best player in the deal and has the most attractive contract. Why would they downgrade at PF and take on more money? Okur is a 3 pt threat, they don't need Murphy.

I don't see why the need to give up Maynor either.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,298

Post#3 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:35 am

This is terrible for the Jazz.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#4 » by jowglenn » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:58 am

Pacers fan here. You're right, this is the perfect deal. For Indiana.

Pacers: So you'd give us Boozer, Maynor, and Harpring...

Jazz: Yeah?

Pacers: and we'd give you Murphy, Foster, Watson, a 2nd rounder.....

Jazz: And? you'll take Kirilenko for Dunleavy... and... I'm confused here, what's the rest of the deal??

Pacers: No... just Murphy, Foster, Watson, and a 2nd rounder.

Jazz: I'm worried about you Larry Bird. How are things going?

Pacers: OH GOD it's terrible, nobody understands the pain I'm in.....
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#5 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:37 pm

DGrangeRx33 wrote:This is terrible for the Jazz.

Maybe we should ask for the NY #1 pick they hold too? Oh and that Wes Matthews dude! :D
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#6 » by azuresou1 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:06 pm

I've seen a lot of dumb trades on this board, but I'd go so far as to say this is one of the five worst trades I've seen on the board.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#7 » by Boneman2 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:01 pm

I've seen worse because any deal involving Boozer is just a one rental. Wow... how valuable is that to a franchise that's due to reduce its payroll by 40+ million in 2011. The one-year rental plan is not that enticing for Indy either.Maybe Carlos needs to go to a team that will be able to afford resigning him.

Honestly, Utah should just keep him, let him expire, and then if any team is willing to sign him it would almost certainly be a S&T. Utah would still keep some control because not many teams could absorb his next contract, thus giving Utah a few options in regards to what they'll accept in return. Eventually a team will add the right filler to get it done.

In which case the expiring contract of Troy Murphy doesn't look to bad. He does more than shoot 3's by the way, in no way should a double-double guy get referred to exclusively as a jump shooter. Troy is a legit PF with slightly less production than Boozer, across the board.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
ahartleyvu
Bench Warmer
And1: 56

Post#8 » by ahartleyvu » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Uhhhh... okay? I'll apologize to Jazz fans. Not of all us are as homer as this trade is
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#9 » by loserX » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:11 pm

Boneman2 wrote:Troy is a legit PF with slightly less production than Boozer, across the board.

Boozer is currently 20th in the league in scoring, Murphy is 95th. I like the guy, and agree that he's legit, but saying he has "slightly less production than Boozer across the board" is nonsense. The gap is significant.

And sorry to pile on, but I agree there's no way Utah does this. There is no benefit to acquiring him because he is a lot more similar to Okur, who we would still have, than to Boozer. (Let alone what he would do to our luxury tax situation next year...absolutely not worth it.) We also like Maynor and wouldn't give him up for anything in this package, and I like the guys we get. Just a bad trade all around for Utah.
DWCP2
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#10 » by DWCP2 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:22 pm

I think they are making the deal to hard.

Boozer wouldn't be a much better complement then Troy Murphy next to Hibbert.

Plus losing Maynor without sending a PG back, despite the poor play, would be crazy.

If you're going to send Boozer anywhere, find a third team to send him to. Give Utah at least two young pieces/ or at least a young piece and an expiring, then give Indiana the expiring it needs to get out.

It's a nice start, but needs a 3rd team in my mind.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#11 » by Boneman2 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:19 am

Boozer is currently 20th in the league in scoring, Murphy is 95th. I like the guy, and agree that he's legit, but saying he has "slightly less production than Boozer across the board" is nonsense. The gap is significant.

Murph just came back from injury, plus he had 28 / 15 the other night. If Murph had played in 25 games this season, like Boozer, his total points would be better than 95th. Regardless, last season Carlos averaged 16/10 and Murphy averaged 15/12. Not so significant, especially considering what Carlos makes. Career-wise Boozer is at 17/10 and Murp at 12/9.

I am not saying Murph is better because he isn't. But the difference isn't that significant.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne

Return to Trades and Transactions