New Orleans-Golden State

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

New Orleans-Golden State 

Post#1 » by shangrila » Sun Jan 3, 2010 6:32 am

New Orleans receives:
Corey Maggette
Brandon Wright

Golden State receives:
Peja Stojakovic
New Orleans 2010 top 3 protected 1st

Reason - New Orleans is desperate to get under the lux and by taking less money in this deal it gives them a big step in that direction. They take on more money in Maggette but he also provides some kind of wing player. Wright is a thrown in to match salaries and can be replaced with anyone really if it's a sticking point for Warrior fans.

For Golden State they get out of Maggette long contract and while Peja's is bigger, it's only for 2 years. They also get a 1st round pick for their troubles which could be decent if New Orleans continues to struggle.

Thoughts?
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Re: New Orleans-Golden State 

Post#2 » by Coxy » Sun Jan 3, 2010 7:14 am

Firstly, you say New Orleans wants to cut salary but here you have them taking on Maggs longer contract, as well as Wrights as well? Doesn't exactly seem like a salary move to me.

Secondly, as much as a pain in the butt Maggs contract is, he is really producing for us right now. He's our 2nd go-to guy I guess, and giving that scoring punch up for Peja's BIG dollar salary and serious lack of production/health is a HUGE concern.

We do get a top 3 protected first I guess though, so it is at least appetising, however, Wright being added in as a throw in breaks the deal for mine. That pick may be in the low to mid teens range by midseason, so not exactly droolable. I am not big on Brangina at all, as i cant stand injury prone guys and he is kinda getting that way. That doesn't hide the fact though that when he is healthy, he can be a real difference maker for a teams front line. If you change up Wright for CJ Watson, or even Devean Georges expiring, then I guess its a deal I'd look a lot closer at.

As it stands though, I'd have to say no to this deal.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#3 » by old rem » Sun Jan 3, 2010 11:11 am

Coxy wrote:Firstly, you say New Orleans wants to cut salary but here you have them taking on Maggs longer contract, as well as Wrights as well? Doesn't exactly seem like a salary move to me.

Secondly, as much as a pain in the butt Maggs contract is, he is really producing for us right now. He's our 2nd go-to guy I guess, and giving that scoring punch up for Peja's BIG dollar salary and serious lack of production/health is a HUGE concern.

We do get a top 3 protected first I guess though, so it is at least appetising, however, Wright being added in as a throw in breaks the deal for mine. That pick may be in the low to mid teens range by midseason, so not exactly droolable. I am not big on Brangina at all, as i cant stand injury prone guys and he is kinda getting that way. That doesn't hide the fact though that when he is healthy, he can be a real difference maker for a teams front line. If you change up Wright for CJ Watson, or even Devean Georges expiring, then I guess its a deal I'd look a lot closer at.

As it stands though, I'd have to say no to this deal.

Yeah...the current worth of that pick is not better than Wright,and i probably like Mags more than most....like Peja NOT at all. I'm not too motivated about a guy expiring in 2,3,4 yr.
Mags has his flaws but I like his improvements. Peja is a guy I can't see getting minutes
CENSORED... No comment.
don nelson
Head Coach
And1: 3

Post#4 » by don nelson » Sun Jan 3, 2010 2:57 pm

Maggette's current level of productivity is actually justifying his contract with the Warriors while Peja Stojakovic's lack of production while being paid a substantially larger salary has literally been bleeding the Hornets white. Requiring Golden State to also give up young Brandan Wright while adding only a single pick doesn't even begin to come remotely close to closing the huge gap in the difference in what Maggette gives the Warriors compared to a lot less bang for the buck Peja provides the Hornets. The Warriors have no interest whatsoever in paying more just to receive less and also have to sacrifice a young PF in the process. There is absolutely zero reasons why the Warriors would have any reason to consider this extremely one sided trade and obviously say no.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#5 » by turk3d » Sun Jan 3, 2010 3:45 pm

I think this is one of the more reasonable Golden State trade offers I've seen (maybe just shows how bad most of them are). Having said that, I can see why it's a no for most Warriors fans. I think it's a tough sell for NO considering that Wright's currently out and has been for most of the season although I do think that Maggette would be a help (could mean that your draft position worsens as a result of this trade which make it even less appealing).
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
radtech
Senior
And1: 46

Post#6 » by radtech » Sun Jan 3, 2010 5:17 pm

New Orleans wants immediate relief from the luxury tax.

A trade of Maggette, Claxton, and George would fit. Yes the they get Maggette's bloated contract but he is producing. Chris Paul will see a team trying to avoid the luxury tax and trying not to win but to save money. West has been rumored and Okafor will be offered next to all teams if they really wanted to avoid the tax. Claxton's contract is 80% covered by insurance and George has an ending deal.
don nelson
Head Coach

Post#7 » by don nelson » Sun Jan 3, 2010 6:03 pm

turk3d wrote:I think this is one of the more reasonable Golden State trade offers I've seen (maybe just shows how bad most of them are). Having said that, I can see why it's a no for most Warriors fans. I think it's a tough sell for NO considering that Wright's currently out and has been for most of the season although I do think that Maggette would be a help (could mean that your draft position worsens as a result of this trade which make it even less appealing).

Comparative stats of the last five 2009-2010 games and the salaries of Stojakovic and Maggette

Stojakovic: 28 min, 6.4 points on 30% made FG's, 2.2 rebounds/game 2009/10 salary $14,202,000
Maggette 33 min, 23.6 points on 65% made FG's, 6.4 rebounds/game 2009-10 salary $8,937,931

FYI, Brandan Wright averaged 8.3 points and 4 rebounds/game last year which is better than Stojakovic's last five games and BW's still playing on his rookie contract. If Brand's contact is considered so undesirable to other teams with a salary of $14,858,471 for the 2009-2010 season, then Stojakovic's 2009-2010 salary of $14,2020,000 combined with his pathetic recent production should make trading for Stojakovic every bit as desirable as trading for Elton Brand's longer deal.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#8 » by loserX » Sun Jan 3, 2010 7:37 pm

don nelson wrote:
turk3d wrote:I think this is one of the more reasonable Golden State trade offers I've seen (maybe just shows how bad most of them are). Having said that, I can see why it's a no for most Warriors fans. I think it's a tough sell for NO considering that Wright's currently out and has been for most of the season although I do think that Maggette would be a help (could mean that your draft position worsens as a result of this trade which make it even less appealing).

Comparative stats of the last five 2009-2010 games and the salaries of Stojakovic and Maggette

Stojakovic: 28 min, 6.4 points on 30% made FG's, 2.2 rebounds/game 2009/10 salary $14,202,000
Maggette 33 min, 23.6 points on 65% made FG's, 6.4 rebounds/game 2009-10 salary $8,937,931

Could you do one of these comparisons for Stephen Jackson vs. Radmanovic and Raja Bell? And another for Jamal Crawford vs. Acie Law and Speedy Claxton? I'm sure there's no way the Warriors would do either of those trades either. I mean look at all the production they'd be losing!

I don't blame GSW for not wanting to do this, honestly. But this kind of analysis misses the point completely and only wastes time.

don nelson wrote:If Brand's contact is considered so undesirable to other teams with a salary of $14,858,471 for the 2009-2010 season, then Stojakovic's 2009-2010 salary of $14,2020,000 combined with his pathetic recent production should make trading for Stojakovic every bit as desirable as trading for Elton Brand's longer deal.

Brand's big contract this year, like Stojakovic's, is only part of the problem. The real issue is that it is too long...like Maggette's. Nobody is arguing that Stojakovic's contract is desirable; only that Maggette's isn't either.
Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#9 » by Jase » Sun Jan 3, 2010 7:54 pm

I know it's been mentioned, but it's kind of counterproductive. They both get rid of a contract they don't want, but they both take on another bad contract. Peja would be hit-or-miss in the Warrior's offense.
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#10 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jan 3, 2010 7:59 pm

I'm sorry, but for what reason is NOH throwing in a likely lotto pick for?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
don nelson
Head Coach

Post#11 » by don nelson » Sun Jan 3, 2010 8:40 pm

Jase wrote:I know it's been mentioned, but it's kind of counterproductive. They both get rid of a contract they don't want, but they both take on another bad contract. Peja would be hit-or-miss in the Warrior's offense.

Maggette has become the Warriors second scoring option and his recent level of productivity has made living with his contract a lot more tolerable. That's a very very long way from giving up PF Brandan Wright whom Golden State likes and Maggette for Stojakovic who looks like he's done.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#12 » by old rem » Sun Jan 3, 2010 8:54 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:I'm sorry, but for what reason is NOH throwing in a likely lotto pick for?

Because that's the only way Golden St considers this bad deal for a second.

....trouble is that flipping Maggette + Peja probably adds wins for NOH and cheapens th pick so it fails to even replace Wright.

2 years of Peja costs about the same as 3 yr of Maggette,so it's a damn poor salary dump. By comparison the S Jack deal does include a lot of expiring this year.
CENSORED... No comment.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#13 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jan 3, 2010 9:56 pm

Wright is an injured bust, he has about the same value as Belinelli and look what he fetched.

Also, Maggette has two extra years on his deal...
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#14 » by turk3d » Sun Jan 3, 2010 10:00 pm

It's only because of the potential lotto pick that the Warriors even consider it. It helps to make up for the difference between Peja and Maggette in terms of production. That and Peja's 2 years. It actually would save the Warriors about 8M over the life of Maggette's contract. It's probably not worth doing by either side.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
don nelson
Head Coach

Post#15 » by don nelson » Sun Jan 3, 2010 10:16 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Wright is an injured bust, he has about the same value as Belinelli and look what he fetched.

Also, Maggette has two extra years on his deal...

The Warriors had no intention of picking up Belinelli's option before he was traded but chose to pick up Brandan Wright's option after be was injured and lost for the year. You can call him a bust if you like but the Warriors liked Wright enough to be willing to eat his salary for the next 2 years
CDM88
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#16 » by CDM88 » Sun Jan 3, 2010 10:24 pm

maggete's contract is pretty toxic i think NOH passes..
don nelson
Head Coach

Post#17 » by don nelson » Sun Jan 3, 2010 10:26 pm

CDM88 wrote:maggete's contract is pretty toxic i think NOH passes..

Great! The Hornets can keep Stojakovic and the Warriors can keep Maggette and Wright.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#18 » by Coxy » Mon Jan 4, 2010 12:02 am

CDM88 wrote:maggete's contract is pretty toxic i think NOH passes..

Soooooooo, your saying the Hornets would rather keep Peja then take on Maggette?

I'm sure Paul would just LOVE that.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,864

Post#19 » by 510TWSS » Mon Jan 4, 2010 12:42 am

loserX wrote:
don nelson wrote:

Could you do one of these comparisons for Stephen Jackson vs. Radmanovic and Raja Bell? And another for Jamal Crawford vs. Acie Law and Speedy Claxton? I'm sure there's no way the Warriors would do either of those trades either. I mean look at all the production they'd be losing!

I don't blame GSW for not wanting to do this, honestly. But this kind of analysis misses the point completely and only wastes time.

don nelson wrote:If Brand's contact is considered so undesirable to other teams with a salary of $14,858,471 for the 2009-2010 season, then Stojakovic's 2009-2010 salary of $14,2020,000 combined with his pathetic recent production should make trading for Stojakovic every bit as desirable as trading for Elton Brand's longer deal.

Brand's big contract this year, like Stojakovic's, is only part of the problem. The real issue is that it is too long...like Maggette's. Nobody is arguing that Stojakovic's contract is desirable; only that Maggette's isn't either.

And you're only wasting time and a post here. What's the difference between Brand, Peja and Maggette's contract situation? Maggette is actually useful right now.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#20 » by loserX » Mon Jan 4, 2010 2:31 am

^The difference between Peja's contract and the other two is that it's shorter. Thought that was obvious. It's not wasting a post, since that obviously isn't clear to everyone.

We all know Maggette is more useful. If he weren't, he'd be the worse player on the worse contract and the Warriors would have to give up a lot more than this. The question is whether the Warriors would give up Maggette's productivity to save long-term money.

Saying "but Maggette is more productive!" is wasting time because we all know that already. That's not in dispute. Saying "Peja is way overpaid for what little he produces!" isn't in dispute either. Again, I don't blame the Warriors if they don't want to do this. But comparing Maggette's statistics to Peja's is a waste of time because it's already part of the discussion...often the more productive player is given up in exchange for long-term savings, particularly by the Warriors.

Return to Trades and Transactions