OKC/Min fair trade?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Clangus
Banned User
And1: 1

OKC/Min fair trade? 

Post#1 » by Clangus » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:25 am

Al Jefferson for Jeff Green, DJ White and Nenad Krystic (&2nd rounder?)
Is that fair for Minny?

Minny gets a versatile SF in Green, a good young prospect in White, and Nenad- who next to a decent rebounder (Love) might actually be a decent player.

OKC gets a big body who can Rebound.
Woomanchu
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: OKC/Min fair trade? 

Post#2 » by Woomanchu » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:53 am

Ryan Gomes for Kevin Durant
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#3 » by cpfsf » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:16 am

Clangus wrote:Al Jefferson for Jeff Green, DJ White and Nenad Krystic (&2nd rounder?)
Is that fair for Minny?

Minny gets a versatile SF in Green, a good young prospect in White, and Nenad- who next to a decent rebounder (Love) might actually be a decent player.

I was about to counter with Harden, Ibaka, and Krstic, but then I stopped myself because I wouldn't do that trade either. The problem is Minnesota would rather have one real quality player than a couple of pretty good players. Quality versus quantity basically. No offense, but White and Krstic wouldn't do much for our team and Minnesota needs a swingman more than a combo forward like Jeff Green. I just don't believe Minnesota and OKC make good trading partners at all.

Other than that I'm going to see how much Iguodala will cost.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Clangus
Banned User

Post#4 » by Clangus » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:20 am

yeah I wondered about that
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#5 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:08 am

cpfsf wrote:
Clangus wrote:Al Jefferson for Jeff Green, DJ White and Nenad Krystic (&2nd rounder?)
Is that fair for Minny?

I was about to counter with Harden, Ibaka, and Krstic, but then I stopped myself because I wouldn't do that trade either. The problem is Minnesota would rather have one real quality player than a couple of pretty good players. Quality versus quantity basically. No offense, but White and Krstic wouldn't do much for our team and Minnesota needs a swingman more than a combo forward like Jeff Green. I just don't believe Minnesota and OKC make good trading partners at all.

Other than that I'm going to see how much Iguodala will cost.

I think they are great trading partners it is the fan OKC fan base that is way off. That is why a good GM is going to be less emotional than a fan in his decision making process.

Al Jefferson
Corey Brewer
Ryan Gomes
Nate Jawai

FOR

Jeff Green
James Harden
Serge Ibaka
Matt Harpring

I originally had Minnesota giving a pick now that I look at it that is too much for Minnesota to be giving up and if any thing OKC should be the ones giving a pick or swapping picks if the Thunder's pick is better than Utah's
John Doe [MIN]
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#6 » by John Doe [MIN] » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:44 am

@Clangus: Nenad Krystic has major negative value to Minnesota. We'd rather have that extra $6 million in cap space going into an offseason that will be our best chance to make a major acquisition by being under the cap.

Your trade will still stink if you replace Krystic with an expiring, but at least it will stink less.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#7 » by shangrila » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:55 am

I think cpfsf summed it up pretty well. They're just not good trading partners because Minnesota can't afford to water down talent.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,605

Post#8 » by shrink » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:20 pm

Woomanchu wrote:Ryan Gomes for Kevin Durant

Perfect summation

I agree with SO MONEY. I think they are great trading partners. Jefferson would provide the elite low-post scorer and rebounder that they desperately need to make a jump, and who knows how good he and Durant would be if they got to play with each other. Moreover - he's the right age to grow with the team! OKC has young talent which has a chance, though not the likelyhood, of being as good as Jefferson. Green does not. Remember Kahn was looking for a guy like Danny Granger. Offering some of your least valuable, diluted assets isn't going to get MIN to trade the guy that went 26 PTS, 26 RBS last night.

If you think Jefferson is just

Clangus wrote: OKC gets a big body who can Rebound.

... then you don't value him enough to make an offer MIN would do.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#9 » by Biff Cooper » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:57 pm

A quote from the MN board regarding trading Jefferson:

PeeDee wrote:A Jefferson trade has to bring back one or more of 3 things:

1.) A youngish starting caliber Center with the same or better value than Al.
2.) A youngish starting caliber Wing with the same or better value than Al.
3.) Salary flexibility combined with high upside youth at positions of need or a lottery pick.

Those should be the parameters for all Jefferson trades.

As this pertains to OKC:
1. OKC doesn't have a #1 that fits
2. OKC isn't going to trade Durant for Jefferson. Green is a solid player, but does not have same or better value than Al.
3. OKC does have the opportunity to make a Jefferson trade to meet #3. Harpring + high upside youth playing SG, SF, or C might be able to make a reasonable trade with MN, but in terms of high upside youth, OKC would have to do better than Krystic, Green, and White.

Jefferson does seem like a very good fit at OKC. I've suggested a couple places a trade centered around Jefferson for Harpring, Harden, and Ibaka may work. But OKC fans likely balk at giving up both Harden and Ibaka, and MN fans likely balk at the main guy in return for their best player having a career NBA FG percentage (thus far) of 38.6%.

As a sidenote, I found the matchups at crunchtime of the OKC / San Antonio game last night very interesting to watch. I think it was Green, Durant, Westbrook, Sefolosha, and Harden going up against Parker, Ginobli, Mason, Blair, and McDyess. I always liked Scotty Brooks when he was a TWolf, but that was really a unique battle of wills/styles. I would've assumed Green would've been guarding Blair or McDyess, but I think he was guarding Parker instead.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:24 pm

shrink wrote:
Woomanchu wrote:Ryan Gomes for Kevin Durant

Perfect summation

I agree with SO MONEY. I think they are great trading partners. Jefferson would provide the elite low-post scorer and rebounder that they desperately need to make a jump, and who knows how good he and Durant would be if they got to play with each other. Moreover - he's the right age to grow with the team! OKC has young talent which has a chance, though not the likelyhood, of being as good as Jefferson. Green does not. Remember Kahn was looking for a guy like Danny Granger. Offering some of your least valuable, diluted assets isn't going to get MIN to trade the guy that went 26 PTS, 26 RBS last night.

If you think Jefferson is just

Clangus wrote: OKC gets a big body who can Rebound.

... then you don't value him enough to make an offer MIN would do.

Thanks
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:30 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:A quote from the MN board regarding trading Jefferson:

PeeDee wrote:A Jefferson trade has to bring back one or more of 3 things:

1.) A youngish starting caliber Center with the same or better value than Al.
2.) A youngish starting caliber Wing with the same or better value than Al.
3.) Salary flexibility combined with high upside youth at positions of need or a lottery pick.

Those should be the parameters for all Jefferson trades.

As this pertains to OKC:
1. OKC doesn't have a #1 that fits
2. OKC isn't going to trade Durant for Jefferson. Green is a solid player, but does not have same or better value than Al.
3. OKC does have the opportunity to make a Jefferson trade to meet #3. Harpring + high upside youth playing SG, SF, or C might be able to make a reasonable trade with MN, but in terms of high upside youth, OKC would have to do better than Krystic, Green, and White.

Jefferson does seem like a very good fit at OKC. I've suggested a couple places a trade centered around Jefferson for Harpring, Harden, and Ibaka may work. But OKC fans likely balk at giving up both Harden and Ibaka, and MN fans likely balk at the main guy in return for their best player having a career NBA FG percentage (thus far) of 38.6%.

As a sidenote, I found the matchups at crunchtime of the OKC / San Antonio game last night very interesting to watch. I think it was Green, Durant, Westbrook, Sefolosha, and Harden going up against Parker, Ginobli, Mason, Blair, and McDyess. I always liked Scotty Brooks when he was a TWolf, but that was really a unique battle of wills/styles. I would've assumed Green would've been guarding Blair or McDyess, but I think he was guarding Parker instead.

This is a well put together post the hi-lited part is what I would base a trade on while I recon that there is a possiblity the Thunder turn down a trade it is not as imfatic as OKC fans would like to think, which to me is odd because all they do is get better in my deal so...I just don't understand how logical their takes are.
Drehova
Junior

Post#12 » by Drehova » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:49 pm

I'd do this in a heartbeat : Trade ID #5384229

OKC trades
James Harden
Matt Harpring (contract)
BJ Mullens
Phoneix 1st Rd

Minnesota trades
Big AL
Nate Jawai
2nd rounder this year or future 2nd

(didn't inlude Brewer we already have Thabo same play IMO)

OKC
Westbrook/Maynor
Thabo/?
Durant/Green
Big Al/Green/Collison/Ibaka
Nenad/Collison

Then we could try to use Etan's expiring for a sg. Also improves our bench and maximizes Jeff Green. Also Al could play his more natural postion at PF.

Minnesota gets a SG they need bad, a young big in BJ , expiring contractand a 1st.

Fair ?
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 66

Post#13 » by PeeDee » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:03 pm

Drehova wrote:I'd do this in a heartbeat : Trade ID #5384229

OKC trades
James Harden
Matt Harpring (contract)
BJ Mullens
Phoneix 1st Rd

Minnesota trades
Big AL
Nate Jawai

OKC
Westbrook/Maynor
Thabo/?
Durant/Green
Nenad/Collison

Then we could try to use Etan's expiring for a sg. Also improves our bench and maximizes Jeff Green. Also Al could play his more natural postion at PF.

Minnesota gets a SG they need bad, a young big in BJ , expiring contractand a 1st.

Fair ?

MN would not do this trade. Harden and Mullins and the PHX pick all have questionable upside in comparison to Jefferson. Jefferson is still not a finished product IMO and if he's going to be moved, the talent coming in has to have higher upside or the pick needs to be much much higher.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:16 pm

OKC trades
James Harden
Matt Harpring (contract)
BJ Mullens
Phoneix 1st Rd

Minnesota trades
Big AL
Nate Jawai

OKC
Westbrook/Maynor
Thabo/?
Durant/Green
Nenad/Collison

Fair ?

Ibaka insted of Mullens I think about it...but I think your first pick is more fair than PHX
Drehova
Junior

Post#15 » by Drehova » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:21 pm

PeeDee wrote:

OKC trades
James Harden
Matt Harpring (contract)
BJ Mullens
Phoneix 1st Rd

Minnesota trades
Big AL
Nate Jawai

OKC
Westbrook/Maynor
Thabo/?
Durant/Green
Nenad/Collison

Fair ?

MN would not do this trade. Harden and Mullins and the PHX pick all have questionable upside in comparison to Jefferson. Jefferson is still not a finished product IMO and if he's going to be moved, the talent coming in has to have higher upside or the pick needs to be much much higher.

Don't really agree with that
The Phx pick has good value in a deep upcoming draft
Harden is a very good prospect and feels a huge whole for Minny. Would start asap for Minny
BJ a solid prospect though I agree not a sure thing .
Expiring contract in Harpring

I like Al but how much better do you honestly think he can get ? IMO he's tapped out as a 20/10 player ok D . That's not being negative because I'm a Big , Big AL fan I was at The Mickey D's AA gmae in OKC when he played and knew then the kid would be a monster in the paint. But I disagree if you think he's acan improve so much that this deal isn't fair. And coming off a knee injury I think that's a fair deal .
Drehova
Junior

Post#16 » by Drehova » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:24 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:

OKC trades
James Harden
Matt Harpring (contract)
BJ Mullens
Phoneix 1st Rd

Minnesota trades
Big AL
Nate Jawai

OKC
Westbrook/Maynor
Thabo/?
Durant/Green
Nenad/Collison

Fair ?

Ibaka insted of Mullens I think about it...but I think your first pick is more fair than PHX

I'd switch our pick with the PHX pick if that was a deal breaker but I honestly feel it will be in the same range(within a couple of picks of each other)

Ibaka would play the same postion as Love who needs to play PF. Mullens is a natural C
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:28 pm

Drehova wrote:Ibaka would play the same postion as Love who needs to play PF. Mullens is a natural C

The problem is Mullens sux and I guess I would rather not have him didn't like him in the draft and I think it is pretty safe to say he will likely bust. So to me the greater of the PHX and OKC picks and Ibaka is fair. You don't trade big for samll so we would need to maintain so big depth.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#18 » by funkatron101 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:28 pm

Drehova wrote:
PeeDee wrote:MN would not do this trade. Harden and Mullins and the PHX pick all have questionable upside in comparison to Jefferson. Jefferson is still not a finished product IMO and if he's going to be moved, the talent coming in has to have higher upside or the pick needs to be much much higher.

Don't really agree with that
The Phx pick has good value in a deep upcoming draft
Harden is a very good prospect and feels a huge whole for Minny. Would start asap for Minny
BJ a solid prospect though I agree not a sure thing .
Expiring contract in Harpring

I like Al but how much better do you honestly think he can get ? IMO he's tapped out as a 20/10 player ok D . That's not being negative because I'm a Big , Big AL fan I was at The Mickey D's AA gmae in OKC when he played and knew then the kid would be a monster in the paint. But I disagree if you think he's acan improve so much that this deal isn't fair. And coming off a knee injury I think that's a fair deal .

:lol: :lol: :lol: It is not fair value. It just isn't. Come on.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 240

Post#19 » by Biff Cooper » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:50 pm

Assuming Jefferson for Harden, Ibaka and Harpring:

MN would get two good rookie prospects in Harden and Ibaka plus an additional $7.5 mil in 2010 cap savings.
OKC would get by far the best player in the deal at a postion of need without damaging their young athletic core. They make their first of many playoff runs this season while remaining under the cap.

I don't have a good feel for the value of the potential of Harden and Ibaka to say whether this basic trade is realistic, but it seems to makes some sense from what the two teams are trying to do.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,142

Post#20 » by GopherIt! » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:28 am

Drehova wrote:I'd do this in a heartbeat

i bet you would.
Drehova wrote:I like Al but how much better do you honestly think he can get ? IMO he's tapped out as a 20/10 player ok D . That's not being negative because I'm a Big , Big AL fan I was at The Mickey D's AA gmae in OKC when he played and knew then the kid would be a monster in the paint. But I disagree if you think he's acan improve so much that this deal isn't fair. And coming off a knee injury I think that's a fair deal .

26-26 bitch.

Minny counters with Flynn, Gomes & the Utah pick for KD & Weaver.

Return to Trades and Transactions