PHX-POR-TOR...Again

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

PHX-POR-TOR...Again 

Post#1 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:48 pm

since I flame a lot of trades I thought I'd give an opportunity to flame back

first the assumptions: Bosh has informed Toronto he wants out and won't re-sign. Same with Amare in Phoenix. And both Bosh and Amare agree to extensions as conditions of the trade

here's the deal:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yfeg4vd

Portland sends Lamarcus Aldridge and Travis Outlaw to Phoenix. Andre Miller to Toronto
Portland receives Chris Bosh and Amir Johnson from Toronto

Phoenix sends Amare Stoudemire to Toronto. Jarron Collins to Portland
Phoenix receives Aldridge and Outlaw from Portland

Toronto sends Bosh and Johnson to Portland
Toronto receives Amare from Phoenix and Andre Miller from Portland

Portland does the deal to upgrade their starting PF long-term. And they get some short-term help in the frontcourt. The price they pay is the significantly less expensive Aldridge as well as their best PG in Miller and a pretty effective 6th man in Outlaw

Phoenix does it because, while Aldridge is a lesser player, he's still a pretty good option at contract cost of 5 million a year less then Amare. They also gain the bird rights to Outlaw. And both incoming players would work out quite well playing with Nash. But the Suns also get the giant benefit (as far as ownership as concerned is concerned) of dropping under the luxury tax threshold. This would save them about 9 million this year in salary and tax as well as allow them to collect several million in tax payouts. And we know how Phoenix ownership responds to saving money.

Toronto does it because they were going to lose Bosh anyway and they end up with a more physical PF then Bosh. They also get more rounded PG in Miller, more able to set up the other players on the team and more capable of effectively attacking the basket.

And yes, I know...if both Bosh and Amare weren't going to re-sign with their teams, Amare wouldn't choose Toronto and Bosh wouldn't choose Portland. This is RealGM...fantasyland

I'm guessing people will say Portland should give more. I don't really agree, but then I've seen how much Miller has meant for Portland. Still, I'm willing to consider adding Rudy to the deal, but the Blazers are going to need another guard coming back, and it will have to be somebody better then Banks or Jarret Jack. Portland's backcourt would be too thin and small with just Roy, Blake, and Bayless.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: PHX-POR-TOR...Again 

Post#2 » by loserX » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:51 pm

It's my understanding that Bosh (and presumably Amare) cannot be extended until the off-season, at which point Outlaw (and Jarron Collins) can't be traded.
F1uxCapacit0r
Sixth Man
And1: 209

Post#3 » by F1uxCapacit0r » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:52 pm

ummm what does toronto do with calderon jack miller and banks all under contract then. seems like a hefty investment for one position no?
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#4 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:55 pm

loserX wrote:It's my understanding that Bosh (and presumably Amare) cannot be extended until the off-season, at which point Outlaw (and Jarron Collins) can't be traded.

you sure about that?...Pau Gasol signed an extension less then a month ago, on Dec 23

As I understood it, as long as they are past the 3rd anniversary of their current contract, they can sign an extension. I'm not aware of any moratorium at this time. I'm not saying there isn't one, I'm just not aware of one.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#5 » by loserX » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:58 pm

^You may be right...I might have been thinking of David Lee, not Chris Bosh. I might have to ask this one on the CBA board.

I do agree with the other comment above; Andre Miller doesn't have nearly as much value to the PG-laden Raptors as he does to the Blazers. That part has to be sorted out.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#6 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:02 pm

ad15vt wrote:ummm what does toronto do with calderon jack miller and banks all under contract then. seems like a hefty investment for one position no?

I looked at that and I had a hard time trying to 'relieve' that pressure.

Maybe something where the Blazers add Blake to the deal and send him to Toronto, and the Raptors keep Amir and send out Calderon and Rasho instead. Don't know if that works in the trade checker though
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#7 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:05 pm

loserX wrote:^You may be right...I might have been thinking of David Lee, not Chris Bosh. I might have to ask this one on the CBA board.

I do agree with the other comment above; Andre Miller doesn't have nearly as much value to the PG-laden Raptors as he does to the Blazers. That part has to be sorted out.

I understand, however that may be an issue Toronto has to accept if Bosh is just going to walk.

I suppose an alternative is that Portland sends Outlaw to Memphis for cap-space and a pick, and then ships Miller and Blake to Toronto for Calderon. Raptors fans have been trying for a long time to do a Calderon for Miller deal
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#8 » by Agenda42 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:09 pm

If you can get Bosh to agree to sign in Portland, I think this deal might have legs all around. I can certainly see Phoenix making this deal for financial reasons, and the return for Bosh here is better than in almost any deal I've seen for Toronto.

I still think that Bosh kills the deal and packs his bags for Miami.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#9 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:17 pm

Agenda42 wrote:If you can get Bosh to agree to sign in Portland, I think this deal might have legs all around. I can certainly see Phoenix making this deal for financial reasons, and the return for Bosh here is better than in almost any deal I've seen for Toronto.

why would he do that?...it's not like Miami has better weather then Portland or that Florida has no state income tax

who knows, maybe Bosh has a hurricane phobia
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,456

Post#10 » by Stix » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:18 pm

Why is everyone trying to low-ball the Suns on Stoudemire?
thebigguy
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#11 » by thebigguy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:19 pm

The issue with the extension is that you can only extend the deal to a total 5 years, with this year counting as one next year counting as year 2, really it is only a 3year deal, rather than wait till the summer and get 6 years.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,525

Post#12 » by zzaj » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:31 pm

From Portland's perspective i'd do it in a heartbeat. I agree that Aldridge would get a lift playing in PHX...
Joe Buddy
Pro Prospect
And1: 163

Post#13 » by Joe Buddy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:43 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
Agenda42 wrote:If you can get Bosh to agree to sign in Portland, I think this deal might have legs all around. I can certainly see Phoenix making this deal for financial reasons, and the return for Bosh here is better than in almost any deal I've seen for Toronto.

why would he do that?...it's not like Miami has better weather then Portland or that Florida has no state income tax

Doesn't Miami have better weather than Portland?
BballFanAddict
Analyst
And1: 36
Location: "The face of a child says a lot, especially the mouth part."

Post#14 » by BballFanAddict » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:51 pm

Joe Buddy wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

Doesn't Miami have better weather than Portland?

He was being very sarcastic as everything he said is the opposite of the truth.
Joe Buddy
Pro Prospect
And1: 163

Post#15 » by Joe Buddy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:02 pm

BballFanAddict wrote:He was being very sarcastic as everything he said is the opposite of the truth.

Oh. Thanks. Sarcasm is hard to read on the internet.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#16 » by Kerrsed » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:29 pm

Joe Buddy wrote:
BballFanAddict wrote:He was being very sarcastic as everything he said is the opposite of the truth.

Oh. Thanks. Sarcasm is hard to read on the internet.

Not when you use the green font!

PHX gets hose'd. Amare can fetch more. As i tell all people posting Amare trades, us the broken GS deal as a base. Toronto makes out like bandits.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
BballFanAddict
Analyst
And1: 36
Location: "The face of a child says a lot, especially the mouth part."

Post#17 » by BballFanAddict » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:56 pm

I like the idea of a 3 way that lands Aldridge, Bosh and Amare in new homes. I also think the original deal is outlined in a way that all 3 teams' owners would seriously consider it.

Return to Trades and Transactions