Magic| Kings: Deal?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Deal?

Deal?
20%
Magic Deal?
No votes
Magic No Deal?
10%
Kings Deal?
20%
Kings No Deal?
50%

Total votes: 10

WillyJakkz
RealGM
And1: 3,430

Magic| Kings: Deal? 

Post#1 » by WillyJakkz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:41 pm

Have you ever seen a movie when someone suggests something ludicrous or out of the box and someone else replies, "Hey...that's just crazy enough that it might work!" and it works?

Well here goes:

Magic trade: PG Jameer Nelson| PF Ryan Anderson
Kings trade: SG Kevin Martin| PG Sergio Rodriguez

Orlando Magic:
Williams| Martin| Carter| Lewis| Howard

Kevin Martin
PPG: 25.5| RPG: 5| APG:2.4

+ adding ANOTHER PERIMETER player, Kevin Martin would be a GREAT ADDITION in a pick and roll and now pick and pop situation (w/ C Dwight Howard now developing AND SHOOTING the banker)
+ Martin is a MARKSMAN from downtown and stretches the floor incredibly well allowing Howard to "do his thing" in the post
+ Chemistry wouldn't likely be an issue as PG Jason Willimas is more of a distributor and would make sure guys are happy w/ their shot attempts
+ Moves GF Vince Carter to the SF position to give us a "small ball attack" which may help VC offensively to get his shot off and defensively by guarding slower but bigger players
+ Gives us an energetic defensive-minded bench led by Pietrus/ Gortat/ Barnes/ Bass
+ Gives the Magic MAJOR ASSETS for the IMMEDIATE FUTURE for offseason moves if all else fails
= Small ball lineup may hurt us defensively BUT would help us offensively
= Trading Anderson allows Stan Van Gumby to FINALLY play PF Brandon Bass
- Our perimeter defense would suffer BUT we DO HAVE Howard anchoring the paint
- Speaking of HURT, Martin seems to be injured frequently as of late BUT is it a detriment
- Trading Jameer Nelson leaves us w/ Williams/ Rodriguez/ Johnson as our PG trio (which isn't COMPLETELY HORRIBLE) and we still have our TPE
- Trading PF Ryan Anderson whom I'm very high on but you have to give to get

Sacramento Kings:
Nelson| Evans| Casspi| Anderson| Thompson

Jameer Nelson
PPG: 11.9| RPG: 2.7| APG: 5

Ryan Anderson
PPG: 9.3| RPG: 3.6

+ Immediately GAIN their STARTING PG & PF in Jameer Nelson & Ryan Anderson to go w/ young lineup of the Kings
+ PG Nelson is great at driving and kicking the ball and would help alleviate some of the scoring duties on stud G Tyreke Evans
+ Sacramento native Ryan Anderson comes home to play and that he would by lining up next to FC Jason Thompson, he gives him a perfect compliment by being able to stretch the floor w/ his 3PT shooting ability allowing Thompson to develop more in the post where he's really comfortable
+ Brings quality PG Beno Udrih off the bench for added depth
= Injury concerns of Jameer Nelson but you also have that in Kevin Martin
= Not sure if Evans/ Martin can co-exist this move definitely helps though
- Trading SG Kevin Martin

Deal?
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Re: Magic| Kings: Deal? 

Post#2 » by rpa » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:02 pm

1) Considering Martin's age (turns 27 soon) is a bit of a negative (with how he fits in, age wise, with the rest of the Kings core) I have a hard time seeing the Kings trading Martin for another guard who's actually 1 year older.
2) I still believe Evans is a PG. If you think that he needs someone to take the ball handling duties away from him sometimes doesn't it make just as much sense to go after a ball handling SG or SF instead of a PG--especially when you consider Evans is going to do most of the ball handling anyways.
3) Not a big fan of Nelson. I think last years fluke season upped his value to way more than it should be. He's not highly paid (MLE money) but he's no more than an average starting PG imo.
4) An Anderson/Thompson frontcourt would get absolutely eaten alive on the defensive end. Thompson isn't a BAD defender but he's not well above average either (nor is he an anchor). So the Kings get more frontcourt help but it's not the kind of help they need (at ALL).

So yeah, I wouldn't do the trade to be honest.
tru6playa
Pro Prospect
And1: 103

Post#3 » by tru6playa » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:05 pm

I don't like it for the kings and Rayan Anderson would not start over Thompson or Hawes.

*And I'm a big Anderson from his Days with the Cal Bears.
bennith13 wrote:We are going to win. Sac can not compete with our offer our or owners or our arena plan. They just don't have their act together like we do at this point in time.

Supersonics41 wrote:This thing is over for Sacramento! Well they might get the return of the Monarch's.
WillyJakkz
RealGM

Post#4 » by WillyJakkz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:20 pm

Althoug Nelson is (less than) a year older than Martin, Kings gain young PF Ryan Anderson. If all else fails (injury to either Martin if you kept him or Nelson) you still gain a quality player in Anderson along w/ a high quality PG in Neslon for a high quality SG in Martin.

Also I think Anderson would start over Hawes NOT Thompson and would be a nice compliment to him.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Post#5 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:22 pm

I voted yes from the Kings.

Don't know if Nelson starts over Beno though.

I'd start Anderson over Hawes and move Thompson to center.
bbb916
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by bbb916 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:57 pm

What about adding in Gortat and Kenny Thomas?
Silver Man
Starter
And1: 525

Post#7 » by Silver Man » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:02 am

Yes for the Kings, but wouldn't do the deal if it added Gortat and Thomas.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#8 » by Cammo101 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:09 am

This does nothing for Orlando.
cuad
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#9 » by cuad » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:23 am

Wait are you guys kidding? Jameer Nelson sleeps with injury as much as Kevin Martin and Ryan Anderson can't play defense...
Bac2Basics
RealGM
And1: 3
Location: "Are you like a crazy person? I'm quite sure they will say so."

Post#10 » by Bac2Basics » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:32 am

I like Nelson, but this is at best a lateral move for the Kings, and I doubt it's even that good for them.

Sacramento votes no.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.
~ Herman Melville
WillyJakkz
RealGM

Post#11 » by WillyJakkz » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:02 am

bbb916 wrote:What about adding in Gortat and Kenny Thomas?

That wouldn't help my team Orlando at all on the court though Kenny Thomas is a HUGE expirer I'd rather hold onto Gortat until perhaps the summer for this reason alone:

Orlando Magic Summer 2010:
SG Kevin Martin (3 yrs)| GF Vince Carter (1+1 yrs)| C Marcin Gortat (4 yrs)| F Rashard Lewis (3 yrs)|GF Mickael Pietrus (1 yr)| PF Brandon Bass (2 yrs)| GF Matt Barnes (expirer)| 2010 1st RD Pick (late)

Those are all quality-high quality players/ assets that could be used in a S&T for a MAJOR FA or traded for already signed players.
WillyJakkz
RealGM

Post#12 » by WillyJakkz » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:05 am

Bac2Basics wrote:I like Nelson, but this is at best a lateral move for the Kings, and I doubt it's even that good for them.

Sacramento votes no.

A high quality PG Jameer Nelson/ quality PF Ryan Anderson w/ very good upside as "a lateral move at best" and doubt even not that good for the Kings?
WillyJakkz
RealGM

Post#13 » by WillyJakkz » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:08 am

Cammo101 wrote:This does nothing for Orlando.

Cammo, could you please elaborate as to why "this does nothing for Orlando"? It'd be a help.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#14 » by rpa » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:17 am

WillyJakk7 wrote:A high quality PG Jameer Nelson/ quality PF Ryan Anderson w/ very good upside as "a lateral move at best" and doubt even not that good for the Kings?

#1: Nelson isn't a "high quality PG". As a starter he's pretty much average
#2: Just because Anderson has upside (which I'd argue is actually far less than you're bestowing upon him) doesn't mean he's a good fit on this team. The Kings are in desperate need of interior defense (and rebounding). Anderson brings neither 1.
Bac2Basics
RealGM
And1: 3
Location: "Are you like a crazy person? I'm quite sure they will say so."

Post#15 » by Bac2Basics » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:29 am

WillyJakk7 wrote:
Bac2Basics wrote:I like Nelson, but this is at best a lateral move for the Kings, and I doubt it's even that good for them.

Sacramento votes no.

A high quality PG Jameer Nelson/ quality PF Ryan Anderson w/ very good upside as "a lateral move at best" and doubt even not that good for the Kings?

I would say Nelson breaks that "high quality" level, at least not anywhere close to the level that Martin does.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.
~ Herman Melville
WillyJakkz
RealGM

Post#16 » by WillyJakkz » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:35 am

Bac2Basics wrote:I would say Nelson breaks that "high quality" level, at least not anywhere close to the level that Martin does.

I can agree w/ this to an extent but you don't think Ryan Anderson levels the trade at all? It seems like you don't think that much of him (Anderson) and after watching you guys play the Hawks tonite I'm convinced even more that Ryan Anderson helps you guys as he'd clearly be the 2nd best big behind Thompson simply because he can shoot the ball (perhaps nearly as well as Kevin Martin from 3 in due time).
cdt3
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#17 » by cdt3 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:43 am

Greene and Hawes have identical game and ceiling to Anderson already.

Nelson is 12/5, Beno a 13/4. Where is the upgrade?

The last time a King got traded a player like KMart (MRichmond traded at 30+) they got back a young CWebb. It would take a Bosh level offer to get Martin or else they might alse well keep what they have.
WillyJakkz
RealGM

Post#18 » by WillyJakkz » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:56 am

cdt3 wrote:Greene and Hawes have identical game and ceiling to Anderson already.

Nelson is 12/5, Beno a 13/4. Where is the upgrade?

The last time a King got traded a player like KMart (MRichmond traded at 30+) they got back a young CWebb. It would take a Bosh level offer to get Martin or else they might alse well keep what they have.

I can respect that BUT I don't agree w/ that.

Debating Nelson to Udrih isn't worth it but to kinda jack Rick Pitino, "Mitch Richmond ain't walkin' thru that door."

He was called "The Rock" for a reason, dude hardly missed any games in his prime ('92-'93 missed 37/ '00-'01 missed signicant time BUT was MUCH older) and far be it for me to say but Kevin Martin is not Mitch Richmond level talent so you may feel that way but it's far from the truth.

In the 90's Mitch Richmond was arguably (along w/ Latrell Sprewell) the 2nd best SG behind Michael Jordan.

Return to Trades and Transactions