GSW=NOH, CP3 to the Bay

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,749

GSW=NOH, CP3 to the Bay 

Post#1 » by SkyHook » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:28 am

I'm not necessarily a fan of either team. Just a stab at something that, from my outsider's perspective, helps both teams for different reasons.

GSW Trades/NOH Receives: Ellis, Claxton, Curry, Randolph, 2010 1st
NOH Trades/GSW Receives: Paul, West, J. Wright

Why for the Warriors:

Paul is a transcendent player; West is an excellent sidekick, Wright is cheap filler. Take on more salary this year (& beyond) while remaining below the LT limit.

Paul, Watson
Morrow, Bell
Maggette, Azubiuke
West, B. Wright
Biedrins, Turiaf

Why for the Hornets:

Financial survival without getting less competitive than they are now plus high quality youth. Restocks the shelves with Ellis (ample production; flat, significantly cheaper deal than Paul's), Curry & Randolph on rookie deals & the pick. Claxton is expiring filler. Saves $4MM+ this year, $10MM+ next.

Curry, Collison
Ellis, Brown
Stojakovic, Posey
Randolph, Songaila
Okafor, Marks
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
DLeagueAllStars
Head Coach
And1: 246

Re: GSW=NOH, CP3 to the Bay 

Post#2 » by DLeagueAllStars » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:42 am

As much as I like Curry, Monta and Randolph.. being a STH I would pull the trigger on this deal... And its not an easy trigger to pull.. Its still alot of assets to give up, but to get a player like Paul and bigman who fits Nellie style in West.. I could see the Warriors making a serious push..

I feel there are a few holes in the SG/SF pos, but Nellie has a penchant for finding players to fill those holes

I still might even keep Bukie as the starting SF as Maggs is your instant offense 6th man..
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#3 » by turk3d » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:48 am

That would be tough for the Warriors to turn down. It would be a big move by NO that's for sure but that's what it would take for me to be willing to give up Randolph and Ellis right now.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#4 » by Relentless88 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:29 am

Looks pretty good for both sides. If Chicago taught us anything, it's best to package up the young assets early, for an established superstar.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#5 » by old rem » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:19 am

Relentless88 wrote:Looks pretty good for both sides. If Chicago taught us anything, it's best to package up the young assets early, for an established superstar.

And that "superstar" was Salmons?

I'd be tempted...for a minute....then say no. GSW is giving 4 IMPORTANT and rather cost effective assets for TWO assets. I've felt that Ellis can be pretty close to C Paul as an all round player.

The Randolph/Biedrins front gets us both boards and blocks. The Monta/Curry/Morrow back court gets us a lot of a lot of things. Us "tossing in" what can be a VERY high pick...maybe #1,#2......makes a shakey deal a clear no.
CENSORED... No comment.
thetofuroom
Senior
And1: 1

Post#6 » by thetofuroom » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:20 am

I don't know. It would be tough to turn down CP3. I think I would have to pull the trigger.
DLeagueAllStars
Head Coach

Post#7 » by DLeagueAllStars » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:33 am

Rem, the pick wouldnt be that high as we have Claxton in the deal... only way for that to happen is if the deal goes down before the deadline... therefore we would no longer be looking at a top 1-5 pick, but more like a 10-12 pick or even latter...

So yes, the Warriors make this deal and Paul is head and shoulders above Paul
SkyHook
Veteran

Post#8 » by SkyHook » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:41 am

old rem wrote:
Relentless88 wrote:Looks pretty good for both sides. If Chicago taught us anything, it's best to package up the young assets early, for an established superstar.

I'd be tempted...for a minute....then say no. GSW is giving 4 IMPORTANT and rather cost effective assets for TWO assets. I've felt that Ellis can be pretty close to C Paul as an all round player.

The Randolph/Biedrins front gets us both boards and blocks. The Monta/Curry/Morrow back court gets us a lot of a lot of things. Us "tossing in" what can be a VERY high pick...maybe #1,#2......makes a shakey deal a clear no.

I think his point was that Chicago should have packaged young assets for a superstar, like the rumored Garnett & Gasol deals where the Bulls balked. And I don't believe that I referred to the pick as a "toss in"; rather it's an integral part of the value for Paul/West.

I think that you're undervaluing West here and, as much as I like him, overvaluing Randolph. West is a fine, but not fantastic, rebounder. Randolph could be a superior rebounder, but at the rate he fouls he won't stay on the floor long enough to show it. That should improve with time, I expect. You're right on the shot-blocking aspect.

Besides, after this trade where do you project the Ws to be in the rankings? Even after the horrible start, they might push for a playoff spot with this new lineup. That pick should have a minuscule chance of being in the top three.

SkyHook
Veteran

Post#9 » by SkyHook » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:42 am

DLeagueAllStars wrote:Rem, the pick wouldnt be that high as we have Claxton in the deal... only way for that to happen is if the deal goes down before the deadline... therefore we would no longer be looking at a top 1-5 pick, but more like a 10-12 pick or even latter...

So yes, the Warriors make this deal and Paul is head and shoulders above Paul

I agree. I've always preferred Paul to Paul. :wink:

Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#10 » by Coxy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:50 am

old rem wrote:

I have to go with Rem on this one. Adding Paul is a salivating thought, but man are we giving up a huge chunk to get him.

I think taking out the 1st is the only way I'd get seriouslly thinking about this deal.
fluffhead
Junior
And1: 33

Post#11 » by fluffhead » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:06 am

old rem wrote:

the "i've felt that Ellis can be pretty close to C Paul as an all around player" is an absolutely hilarious comment. ellis is no where near the player of paul

Warriors would have to jump all over this deal
DLeagueAllStars
Head Coach

Post#12 » by DLeagueAllStars » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:06 am

coxy, your talking about a pick that will be a late lotto.. thats really gonna keep you back from doing this deal?
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#13 » by Coxy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:09 am

DLeagueAllStars wrote:coxy, your talking about a pick that will be a late lotto.. thats really gonna keep you back from doing this deal?

Did I miss the part where the Warriors didn't have a good record? and if you say "But the Warriors would have Paul and West so they're record will be better" than your kidding yourself.

Welcome to Nellieville.
DLeagueAllStars
Head Coach

Post#14 » by DLeagueAllStars » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:13 am

Where Paul would flourish being able to run up and down the floor and West has the jumper that Nellie likes from a PF..

This gives you 3 scorers on the floor with paul, West and Maggs and floor spreader in Morrow and defending center in Biedrins... yeah that would work for Nellie

not sure if you dont know, but since Paul has been back even with his ragtag club they are like 10-5.. I easily think the Warriors could win over 20 games the second half of the year with those two on the club
RobertGlory
Rookie
And1: 4

Post#15 » by RobertGlory » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:24 am

everybody loves chris :)

how many times do i have to say it, only one player in the league has the value cp3 has.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#16 » by St.Nick » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:31 am

For GS the most I'd offer is:

Monta/Biedrins/expirings/top-4 protected pick
for
Paul/(whatever bad contract NO wants to give-- Peja, Okafor)
DLeagueAllStars
Head Coach

Post#17 » by DLeagueAllStars » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:48 am

Nick that is a horrible offer for Paul for both sides..

First off, Monta is more of SG, so sending Curry along would be needed to be sent also to NOH, as he would be redundent behind Paul anyways.. Next your sending out Biedrins for either Peja or Okafor??? you do realize that Okafor wouldnt fit in Nellie system and if you trade Biedrins for Peja, you just left our team without a defensive Center..

Thank god you arent out GM...

And why would they want both Biedrins and Okafor.. makes no sense at all
RobertGlory
Rookie
And1: 4

Post#18 » by RobertGlory » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:54 am

St.Nick wrote:For GS the most I'd offer is:

for

let me put it bluntly... golden state has no one i'd give up cp3 for

most teams don't
SkyHook
Veteran

Post#19 » by SkyHook » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:46 am

RobertGlory wrote:
St.Nick wrote:For GS the most I'd offer is:

for

let me put it bluntly... golden state has no one i'd give up cp3 for

most teams don't

Put it as bluntly as you like. Of course you're not the one making that call in the end. It comes down to Bower & ultimately Shinn. The financial aspect (continually losing money, trying to stay afloat) may override the talent aspect at some point. Especially if they're going nowhere in the standings and they're facing the potential of losing Paul without compensation when he becomes a UFA. That's the reality that Toronto is facing with Bosh right now. Now you may say that's far down the road, but based upon what I've read they're hemorrhaging cash right now.

St.Nick
Banned User

Post#20 » by St.Nick » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:13 pm

I can sympathize with NO fans not wanting to give up Paul. He is an all-NBA talent and a franchise cornerstone.

I really hope for the fans sake that Shinn doesn't need to make big sacrifices to keep Paul. But if he does, perhaps GS could give some players that makes NO good long term while also keeping them financially viable.

Say NO traded Paul, Okafor, and James Posey to the Warriors for Ellis, Biedrins, $10M in expirings and a #5 pick. That gives NO two well priced, productive replacements for Paul and Okafor, as well as a reset on Posey's bad contract AND a #5 pick to get someone like Al Farouq Aminu. They then nab Xavier Henry at pick #14.

2010 roster

Monta Ellis/D.Collison
Xavier Henry/Mo-Pete
Aminu/Peja/J.Wright
West/Diogu
Biedrins/Songalia

The team saves ridiculous money long term by trading Okafor and Posey (they make $66M over the course of their contracts) and reload with a young, talented, good valued roster.

Return to Trades and Transactions