Houston-Washington-New York (rumored Deal??)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Houston-Washington-New York (rumored Deal??) 

Post#1 » by Mich3006 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:48 am

Houston deals: Tracy McGrady, Brian Cook, 2nd Rd Pick
Houston receives: Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood, Jared Jeffries

Washington deals: Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood, Mike James
Washington receives: Al Harrington, Wilson Chandler, Larry Hughes, 2nd Rd Pick

New York deals: Al Harrington, Wilson Chandler, Larry Hughes, Jared Jeffries
New York receives: Tracy McGrady, Brian Cook, Mike James

Rockets: Brooks, Ariza, Butler, Scola, Haywood (Lowry, Battier, Budinger, Landry, Hayes)
Wizards: Foye, Hughes, Chandler, Jamison, Blatche (Boykins, Stevenson, Miller, Harrington, McGee)
Knicks: Duhon, McGrady, Galinari, Hill, Lee (James, Robinson, Bender, Cook, Curry)

Why: The Rockets add for players, they really don´t need some nice pieces in Butler and Haywood+ a good defender in jared Jeffries...The Knicks get off the Jeffries contract and add three expirings and in T-Mac a player who fits perfect for the Knickerbockers...The Wizards get off a long-term deal, add fitting pieces in Harrington and Hughes, who´ll probably re-sign for the Club+ a prospect in Chandler
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Re: Houston-Washington-New York (rumored Deal??) 

Post#2 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:59 am

That is just preposterously awful deal: you have us 'getting out of' Butler's contract at the expense of Haywood while taking on $5.4 million in expenses this year, all for the sake of Chandler (due up for a contract extension) and a second round pick.

Wow.
Rendezvous
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#3 » by Rendezvous » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:51 pm

Rockets would Tap this.
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,600

Post#4 » by bishnykfan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:02 pm

Knicks are not trading Chandler just to lose JJ and his one year contract, which considering the way he has played this year, isn't even that bad. And FYI, Chandler is not due a contract extension for two more years. He is under contract next year and then the following year is due his QO.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:08 pm

What I meant was that he's eligible for a contract extension as he's wrapping up his third year.

The QO is the year he's a restricted free agent, which is a little bit more ominous and dicey than simply being some kind of assured 'QO year'.
bishnykfan

Post#6 » by bishnykfan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:15 pm

Yes, but he is under contract for at least one more season. He isn't restricted until 2012, but regardless it is a bad trade for NY. They won't give up a 22 year old SF who is playing as well as Chandler is just to save a contract which has turned out to be not that bad and wouldn't allow them to sign a second max FA anyway.
All-Time Draft

Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:21 pm

Fair enough, but from Washington's perspective, 'under contract for one more year' isn't really great considering we're in the very nascent baby steps of getting ready to rebuild. I can see how the Knicks are in a different boat, but I'm just sayin'....
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#8 » by JES12 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:31 pm

I think you would need to change Chandler & Hughes to Milicic. That way, NY loses JJ at the expense of more payroll this year instead of talent like Chandler,

Plus it lowers Washington's payroll & tax

Another change I would make is send Stevenson to NY and remove the 2nd round pick.

I think you would need to change Chandler & Hughes to Milicic. That way, NY loses JJ at the expense of more payroll this year instead of talent like Chandler,

Plus it lowers Washington's payroll & tax

Another change I would make is send Stevenson to NY and remove the 2nd round pick.

Something like this:

NY In: TMac, Stevenson, Taylor ($27.3 mil)
NY Out: Harrington, Milicic, Jeffries ($23.9 mil)
They take on $3.4 mil this year to reduce their 2010 cap by $2.7 mil

Houston in: Butler, Haywood, Jeffries, Milicic ($29.8 mil)
Houston out: T-Mac, Cook, Budinger, Taylor ($27.8 mil)
They take on $2 mil and give up Budinger, and add 2010 payroll, but lets face it...they win the talent portion by a landslide

Washington in: Harrington, Cook, Budinger ($14.3 mil)
Washington out: Butler, Haywood, Stevenson ($19.5 mil)
Tey use Haywood and Butler to dump Stevenson and $5.2 mil of salary & $5.2 mil of tax. They do get a prospect back in Budinger.
clydewally
Junior
And1: 8

Post#9 » by clydewally » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:11 pm

Doubt NY takes Stevenson back in a deal. They will pay luxury tax on the amount they take in so it is a close to $8 million hit to get rid of $2.7 million next year. That is fairly pricey
bishnykfan

Post#10 » by bishnykfan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:36 pm

2010-2011 salaries

Jared Jeffries: $6,883,400

DeShawn Stevenson: $4,151,786
Jermaine Taylor: $780,871

I think that with that deal the Knicks would only save slightly less than $2M, not $2.7M, but that is splitting hairs. If the Knicks like Taylor as a prospect then his inclusion would be a good thing, however considering the Knicks number one goal this offseason will be Lebron, whether you think they will get him or not, would the Knicks really bring in Stevenson? Considering the cost, I guess if Walsh likes Taylor, then NY would do it, but they don't save enough to do it otherwise.
All-Time Draft

JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#11 » by JES12 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:10 pm

The only reason I put Taylor in was to make every team bring back the same number of players as they send out. I think Houston is at 14 right now, so they can keep Taylor if they want.

I also understand the tax situation, but 2.7 of that 3.4 (maybe closer to 5 if you add salary for the rest of te year) is being brought forward..oppoite of being defferred. So, I guess I can see some cash sent from Houston to NY as well.
clydewally
Junior

Post#12 » by clydewally » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:52 pm

I still don't get how taking on $3.4 million of extra salary this year (which will cost them $6.8 million) is worth such a small reduction next year, particularly since Jefferies has been productive for the Knicks this year. It is worth money to be rid of the whole obligation to Jefferies.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#13 » by verbal8 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:34 pm

clydewally wrote:I still don't get how taking on $3.4 million of extra salary this year (which will cost them $6.8 million) is worth such a small reduction next year, particularly since Jefferies has been productive for the Knicks this year. It is worth money to be rid of the whole obligation to Jefferies.

If Jeffries was movable for expirings without a very strong incentive, it would have happened already.
clydewally
Junior

Post#14 » by clydewally » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:07 pm

I don't disagree with that. I am questioning whether it is worth providing the incentives to move him for Stevenson. That only nets them $2.7 million of savings next year. I want to get rid of the full $6.8 million.

It is worth providing substantial incentives in money or non-core (any one except Gallo, Chandler, Hill and possibly Lee) players to move his full contract.

Return to Trades and Transactions