Blazers still after Tyrus Thomas?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Blazers still after Tyrus Thomas? 

Post#1 » by Blazinaway » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:00 pm

Hard to believe we have the expirings after the Camby trade unless a 3rd team gets involved.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/m ... 3/20082353
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Re: Blazers still after Tyrus Thomas? 

Post#2 » by Agenda42 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Well, I wouldn't mind having TT, but how do you match his salary without giving up stuff I like?
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#3 » by DusterBuster » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:04 pm

Agenda42 wrote:Well, I wouldn't mind having TT, but how do you match his salary without giving up stuff I like?

3rd team. Webster has to go to a team with a EC. That contract has to goto Chicago. Blazers gotta add in a young like like Pendergraph and a pick likely.

RUDY, BAYLESS AND BATUM WILL NOT BE INVOLVED!
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#4 » by Krapinsky » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:14 pm

As a Wolf fan I might be interested in Claver + Webster for expirings.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Slackerr
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Slackerr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:15 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Agenda42 wrote:Well, I wouldn't mind having TT, but how do you match his salary without giving up stuff I like?

3rd team. Webster has to go to a team with a EC. That contract has to goto Chicago. Blazers gotta add in a young like like Pendergraph and a pick likely.

RUDY, BAYLESS AND BATUM WILL NOT BE INVOLVED!

How about Brandon Roy or Greg Oden? :D

Seriously though, a 1st for Tyrus would work for me.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#6 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:19 pm

Couldn't Pryzbilla be considered an expirer?
I thought he made it clear it was going to opt out this summer?
IMO he should opt out, given all the money out there, and he and Haywood the only decent centers on the market.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#7 » by DusterBuster » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:Couldn't Pryzbilla be considered an expirer?
IMO he should opt out, given all the money out there, and he and Haywood the only decent centers on the market.

That was before he went down with a season ending injury. It'd be dumb for him to opt out now.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:43 pm

DusterBuster wrote:

That was before he went down with a season ending injury. It'd be dumb for him to opt out now.

You think?

He's on the books for 7.4m next season.

Considering there could be a whole new CBA where he could get less money I think some long-term security at potentially a higher price would be smart.

I could see him getting offered a full MLE by several teams, and there will be several teams with even more to offer. There are also a lot of teams that could use his rebounding and shotblocking.

Washington
OKC
Sacramento
Minny
Miami
NY

and who knows who else, are all teams that will have more than just the MLE to throw at a C and with a need for a C. Again, the only other FA C worth talking about is Haywood.

I guess, it's not a risk Chicago would be willing to take, but I think he should opt out.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#9 » by DusterBuster » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:50 pm

Maybe, but I think teams are also going to be pretty stingy because of the new CBA some too. I don't think they'd want to commit a full MLE deal to a guy like Przybilla when he's coming off a serious injury like this. I just seriously doubt he opts out now. Talk in Portland ever since he got injured has been that he'll be back for the Blazers next season. Talk of his ETO has completely gone away.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:55 pm

Besides the potential lock-out and reduced contracts in 2011, Pryzbilla also has to remember he'll be a year older, and potentially getting less time/lower stats should Oden finally prove ready to be a full-time 30+ minute starter next season.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#11 » by DusterBuster » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:57 pm

I won't say it's impossible for Przybilla to opt out, but to consider him a expiring contract is REALLY premature.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#12 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:00 am

Who knows how Przybilla will bounce back from this injury though. I think that is the concern any team will have before signing Przybilla to a contract. I'd love to see Przybilla opt out actually and if the Blazers could move Webster for TT's expiring, as well... I wonder how much cap space Portland would have this summer??? I think they're at $56 million or so with everyone, but if they were able to dump both contracts, that would put them somewhere around $45 million (I think). That could make things a little more interesting in Portland this summer.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#13 » by DusterBuster » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:17 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Who knows how Przybilla will bounce back from this injury though. I think that is the concern any team will have before signing Przybilla to a contract. I'd love to see Przybilla opt out actually and if the Blazers could move Webster for TT's expiring, as well... I wonder how much cap space Portland would have this summer??? I think they're at $56 million or so with everyone, but if they were able to dump both contracts, that would put them somewhere around $45 million (I think). That could make things a little more interesting in Portland this summer.

Given Portland's track record with Free Agency, I wouldn't be too stoked about it.

You're right though, Portland would be at about 45 mil if they could dump Martell for an expiring and Przybilla opts out. In order for Portland to actually have that cash though, they have to renounce the rights to all their FA's, that's Przybilla, Camby, Thomas, etc. Portland would be left with only Oden as their C. That's a risky move to get a FA next summer.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Trader_Joe » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:31 am

Miller - 7.3
LMA - 10.8
Oden - 6.8
Roy - 13.5
Bayless - 2.3
Rudy - 1.2
Batum - 1.2
Pendergraph - 0.7
Cunningham - 0.8
#1 - 1
2 cap holds @500k - 1

=$47m w/o Webster or Pryzbilla

That would be roughly the same as the MLE in cap space.

If I were Portland I wouldn't want Pryzbilla to opt out, and IMO Webster is a pretty reasonable contract for a young guy with a nice all-around game.

If they retain Camby, they look nice next season:

Miller / Bayless
Roy / Rudy
Webster / Batum / Cunningham
LMA / Camby / Penergraph
Oden / Pryzbilla
+
MLE
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#15 » by DusterBuster » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:43 am

Miller / Bayless
Roy / Rudy
Webster / Batum / Cunningham
LMA / Camby / Penergraph
Oden / Pryzbilla
+
MLE

I'm really liking the idea of keeping Camby beyond this season. I'd personally sign him to a 2 year contract worth roughly 7 mil per year. If we could get the 2nd season to be a TO, even better. If they can get the TO, that gives Portland 3 expiring contracts of roughly 7 mil each in Camby, Przybilla and Miller.

That aside, if that team can stay healthy (granted, that's a BIG IF), it's pretty easily the deepest frontcourt in the NBA. I mean........

Aldridge/Camby
Oden/Przybilla

That's a pretty sick frontcourt. Shouldn't have any trouble competing with some of the bigger teams in the NBA like Denver and LAL.
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#16 » by Agenda42 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:42 am

I don't think that it's a done deal that he opts in, but that seems to be the likely direction. It's not obvious that he can show himself to be 100% healthy during free agent signing season. Teams would not be able to count on him as an expiring, although honestly his $7.4M price tag is pretty nice if he decides to opt in. It's tricky to trade him because there's a lot of uncertainty here though.

Return to Trades and Transactions